How Do You Pronounce ".gif" file acronym?

How do you pronounce .gif?  

331 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce .gif?

• Gif as in "gift"
    • Jif as in "jiff"

Gif, if I say jiff no one knows what I'm talking about, lol.

That's odd, I've always pronounced it 'jif' (like the peanut butter) and so has everyone I've known. I even remember a funny advertisement on the corporation.com's website which was a little banner ad that said

"Choosy Websites choose GIF" and it had the same colors as Gif Peanut butter. So, everyone knows it's jif. Of course, about 5 years ago I discovered that the "i" in Linux is short, and not long...

jm

Always say Gif(t), although i have never actually had a conversation where the topic of image file extensions has arisen apart from .psd

i hate how ppl pernounce GUI like gooey the first time i heard that i called the guy a ****in retard. its an acronym for a goddam reason

SCSI is an acronym; you've never heard anyone say "scuzzy"? RAM is an acronym; we say "ram". ROM is an acronym; we say "rom". I'll draw the line at saying "seepoo' for CPU, but the point is that we don't always just say the letters of an acronym in computers.

SCSI is an acronym; you've never heard anyone say "scuzzy"? RAM is an acronym; we say "ram". ROM is an acronym; we say "rom". I'll draw the line at saying "seepoo' for CPU, but the point is that we don't always just say the letters of an acronym in computers.

It's pretty much governed by how many people want to say it either way. I'm sure there are a few people who want to allays say seepoo :p

Holy crud, just remembered back to my uni days (10 years ago), and we had a course on graphics compression and the like. While studying run length encoding, we covered GIFs, and the lecturer who was affiliated with Unisys (who owned the copyright I believe) called it JIFF.

Wow, I've been calling it GIF(t) all these years!

According to the Wikipedia article it says,

Most English speaking people who either use Windows computers, or do not have experience using computers, pronounce the acronym "GIF" with a plosive (as in the word "gift").

Who the hell wrote that? I've got a great amount of experience with computers and I use Linux and I pronounce it as gif(t). Looks like I've got some editing to do. It doesn't matter how the hell you pronounce it; they're both right and people know what you're talking about in conversation if you use either.

Jif as in "jiff"

Everytime someone says Gif(t) it makes me want to slap them (because they're wrong). From the poll results so far, there are many, many noobs out there... :yes:

I don't pronounce "gift" as "jift", not do I pronounce "graphic" as "jiraphic", so what's your point? Do you say kanife or knife? Kaneel or kneel? Not all G sounds are like J you know. Frosted Flakes aren't "Jeeerate!"

I know a tech support/programmer/server-building guy who's a whiz at all things computers and makes a crap load of money doing it, and he says, "jigabyte". Doesn't make him right or wrong, but I know everyone here laughed when Doc Brown said, "1.21 Jigawatts?!?"

Hey, I agree with you, but here's a funny page on the "jigawatt" thing :)