I got a HD TV!

congrats mate.....

I bought Samsung 26" LCD TV last week. Replaced my PC Monitor, pluged in my PS2 and degital reciever..... the only thing I can tell you is WoooOOoOoow...

enjoy it :)

I went HDTV in 1999 when the cheapest HD set I could find was around 6 grand and never looked back. In those days I was with cable once I got my HDTV set because they offered the same as DirecTV but without the 1200 bucks for the box. When I first got it I only had ABC HD and HBO HD and that was it. Also I got my set in November of 1999 so in just 7 years time we have moved forward quite a few steps. We now have dirt cheap HDTV sets along with pretty darn cheap flat panel HDTV sets along with affordable front projection systems. Beyond that we have fairly cheap HD DVR boxes or rental HD DVR boxes. I have all my locals in HD with Comcast along with quite a few national HD channels. I now have many free On Demand movies and shows in HDTV now too along with the upcoming Cinemax Star Wars HD saga coming up.

Also I know for a fact that Comcast will be adding another 15 or so HD channels between now and the end of the second quarter of 2007. I think the time is right for the mass to accept HDTV because nearly every show benefits from HDTV. Live sporting events benefit the most but movies and sitcom shows are also very big upgrades. CBS does some of the best HDTV I've seen with shows such as Numbers. Also a live HDTV football game using an Optima 720p native projector along with a 120 inch screen just doesn't get any better. Today I have four HDTVs in my home and enjoy all of them. I have the Optima system in the living room along with a 37" LCD HDTV in the master bedroom and my other two rooms have a basic 26" LCD HDTV set. Only drawback is that the HD DVR boxes aren't cheap when you need 4 of them and once Comcast rolls the Tivo software out it will cost even more. I may very well go without Tivo if the new Panasonic box does indeed have a 250GB drive and has the third tuner its rumored to have. A bigger drive and the ability to record three live HD shows at the sametime will outdo the benefits of Tivo software anyday. But the right side is that one years use or so of the new Panasonic box will be all it takes until the Tivo software is ported to it so in the long run its the best choice.

I've recently bought a 31" Samsung, which I think was the biggest tube HDTV I could get. Its almost laughable now, but I only want to watch the HD channels (about 10 of them). My wife was about to kill me the next time I stood next to the TV and pointed at some detail saying, "Would you just look at how clear that is!" :)

I've recently bought a 31" Samsung, which I think was the biggest tube HDTV I could get. Its almost laughable now, but I only want to watch the HD channels (about 10 of them). My wife was about to kill me the next time I stood next to the TV and pointed at some detail saying, "Would you just look at how clear that is!" :)

HAHAHA

Can she see the difference between the regular analog channels and the HD

I'm still having a hard time showing the difference to my family. They all say "what's so special about this" I get the same picture for half the price! :pinch:

Since its HD ready put a regular antenna on it, and you pick up all your local channels in HD, thats all i need. But PLEASE dont be dumb and go to radio shack and buy one of those "HD" antennas, because they are stupid, and a waste of money, you will get the same picture and quality with a clothes hanger. As long as you are able to pick up the signal you are good to go, their is not moving it around and adjust the antenna to get a better picture. Its either ALL or nothing.

Since its HD ready put a regular antenna on it, and you pick up all your local channels in HD, thats all i need. But PLEASE dont be dumb and go to radio shack and buy one of those "HD" antennas, because they are stupid, and a waste of money, you will get the same picture and quality with a clothes hanger. As long as you are able to pick up the signal you are good to go, their is not moving it around and adjust the antenna to get a better picture. Its either ALL or nothing.

Very good points and yes it also drives me nuts when companies put the HDTV logo on an antenna and mark the price up 15 bucks or more as some have done.

Walmart has two models available now for under 900 bucks. The two models are Emerson and IC Power and they both have very close to the same specs.

They both are 37" (yes I said 37) widescreen LCD flat panel HDTV sets with a native resolution of 1366x768p. They both have a 1,000:1 contrast ratio and an 8ms response time. They both also have a built-in ATSC tuner as expected for this size. They both also have an HDMI input with HDCP along with two component inputs.

I know the IC Power has a VGA D-Sub computer input but I don't know if the Emerson does as well. I can confirm seeing the boxes of the Emerson at my local Derry, New Hampshire store and I mean the boxes I could buy and take the TV home. They as of today had them in stock but with no display model yet with a working feed going into it. I also did see the IC Power on a working display as well but I never went looking if they had any in stock.

Also even though the website for the Emerson doesn't list the warranty like the IC Power does I can confirm that the Emerson can get the extended warranty as it does ring up in their computer system at the local store. Also the IC Power can be shipped to your store for free with an online order allowing you to pick it up at your local store and avoid a shipping charge.

Also the Emerson comes with a two year picture tube, one year parts and 90 days labor warranty.

The IC Power comes with a one year parts and 90 days labor warranty.

The Two year extended warranty from Walmart costs a little under 60 bucks USD and gives you an additional two years parts and labor beyond the warranty it comes with.

So with the Walmart warranty the Emerson would have total coverage listed below.

4 years picture tube, 3 years parts and 2 years and 90 days labor.

The IC Power with the Walmart warranty would have a total warranty of 3 years parts and 2 years and 90 days labor warranty.

Also note that if you get an extended warranty from Walmart from the first day any service requests can be made by calling the toll free number from the Walmart warranty. The warranty Walmart gives just takes over your TV's warranty and extends that another two years.

Emerson Link = http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5027236

IC Power Link = http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5065361

I hope this might help some users finally make the jump towards HDTV.

Edited by SeaClearly

^ I'm going to check if the Wal-Marts in Canada have that HDTV set. Certainly looks like a good deal. I'm still stuck with a crummy 27" Memorex from 2001. It isn't even flat screen.

HAHAHA

Can she see the difference between the regular analog channels and the HD

I'm still having a hard time showing the difference to my family. They all say "what's so special about this" I get the same picture for half the price! :pinch:

I don't know how your programming is set up but my local channels are mirrored as both standard and HD broadcasts (channel 2 is standard, 702 is HD) so I had to flip back and forth a few times (much to her annoyance) for her to see it. But even then, it was more like, "Ok, fine whatever it looks good now leave it alone!) :D

For me, the sports have been the biggest improvement. I don't even like watching NASCAR but damn if I won't sit there and watch it for a few just to appreciate the picture...

u coulda wait 3more mth for SED TV

hdtv breed is dead

SED won't be available until very late 2007 in Japan and the first half of 2008 elsewhere. Also, the first SED tv will be 55" 1080p and probably very expensive since the production capacity is so low compared to competing technologies.

lol u think i would post stuff abt SED if i didnt know wot the techonology is?

:laugh:

u crack me up

i bad mouthed someone? where... the irony *cough*

Well, since you can't spell 'technology' properly, I have doubts. :unsure: