Just bought a 42" HDTV!

Hi guys, I was searching for a very cheap hdtv tv and I ran into a 42" model on Newegg. I saw a couple of positive reviews there and decided to buy it since I have their credit card and now I only have to pay for it in June.

The brand name is Olevia, and Ive never heard of it, lol. So I wanna know what you guys think, did I make a bad choice, or is this a bad deal? I know, its only 720p but you get for what you pay for, right? :)

Heres the link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16824022015

PS. Also bought a 360 along with it, can't wait for Gears of war to come out!

The brand name is Olevia, and Ive never heard of it, lol. So I wanna know what you guys think, did I make a bad choice, or is this a bad deal? I know, its only 720p but you get for what you pay for, right? :)

Honestly; you bought a TV online without seeing it, made by a company you've never heard of. Why care now if it's a good choice, or ask for an opinion? Those questions needed to be asked BEFORE you did anything but look. :no:

we'll im glad you got a nice big HDTV, but you honestly need to go see it in person and compare the pictures, but even then it's not to it's full potential. I like to stick with name brands so i know what im getting. The no name companies rush there items and leave out essential things, such as testing the item right, in order to cut back on expenses.

But it has good reviews :huh: for that low of a price, i hope you got warrenty. Remember, you get what you pay for.

I bought the Dell Plasma 42" and debated and looked around for a month prior and i sat there at the check out debating but ended up clicking Submit and you know what, haven't regreted it since! Thing is great to have, but MUST get HD programming or its not all worth it. I don't have a surround sound since live in apartment but as soon as i get a house, oh boy, who needs a movie theatre anymore!

Enjoy the TV man!

I'm super happy that you bought an HDTV! Jump on the band wagon!

But.

I think the speakers on the bottom make it look bulky.

Is there any way you can take them off ?

And i don't want to pop you bubble but I got a 46 inch sony hdtv for $100 less at best buy with a $200 rebate.

I guess since this is your first you can make a little mistake.

Hell, everyone learns from their mistakes right?

Tell us how you like everything in HD btw!

I'm super happy that you bought an HDTV! Jump on the band wagon!

But.

I think the speakers on the bottom make it look bulky.

Is there any way you can take them off ?

And i don't want to pop you bubble but I got a 46 inch sony hdtv for $100 less at best buy with a $200 rebate.

I guess since this is your first you can make a little mistake.

Hell, everyone learns from their mistakes right?

Tell us how you like everything in HD btw!

Yes, it's possible and I will take those speakers off, since I have a 5.1 sound system waiting for it.

By the way, a Sony 46" for $100 less? Is it projection, LCD or Plasma? I can basically cancel the order since I bought it on Friday and they still haven't processed it.

Honestly; you bought a TV online without seeing it, made by a company you've never heard of. Why care now if it's a good choice, or ask for an opinion? Those questions needed to be asked BEFORE you did anything but look. :no:

After buying this set I looked around HUNDREDS of reviews and was really impressed, I found a 28-page forum thread just for this set alone, so there's no reason for me to cancel the order because I haven't seen/touched/smelled/heard/whatever reason :)

Edited by PharosBR

After buying this set I looked around HUNDREDS of reviews and was really impressed, I found a 28-page forum thread just for this set alone, so there's no reason for me to cancel the order because I haven't seen/touched/smelled/heard/whatever reason :)

Home theater is way too subjective to rely on anyone else's opinion.

Ok, after reading these replies I ALMOST clicked the Cancel Order button lol. HOWEVER, thanks to the AVS forums I found out the tv is being sold on my local COMPUSA, sooo 10 minutes after reading that thread I found myself inside the store! :D

AMAZING picture quality. It was also one of the best looking tv's there, being completely covered by glass, didn't even look like it was LCD. The guy who works there told me it's basically manufactured by LG but rebranded as their own. True or not, I loved it.

The price was the same, I was really tempted to cancel my order at newegg and buy directly from them, but then I wouldn't have a 6-month same as cash offer that I have on newegg.

Can't wait for this baby to arrive :D

• 3 weeks later...

and is Westinghouse crappy? I know bestbuy is going to be selling a 32'' lcd westinghouse tv for $480 on black friday..

ive seen them at BB and their color is washed out. theyre the ford's of hdtv imo. stay way. thats why theyre always so cheap. they are cheap.

I actually find the colors to be acceptable, though nothing amazing. The lack of sharpness and reliability issues are what concern me with the sets.

and is Westinghouse crappy? I know bestbuy is going to be selling a 32'' lcd westinghouse tv for $480 on black friday..

That's an awesome deal.

If its an online deal, make sure you go to a store first to see it though.

I've seen that set in BB and there's definite lack of sharpness especially noticeable since it was next to a samsung of the same size. I don't know about reliability but it would make a nice spare tv for gaming.

This model actually supports 1080i. I own an olevia which is made by Syntax and it is a great TV, although not widely known. Do some google searches for audio visual forums and get a real review by people who actually use/own the TV. My only complaint when purchasing this TV was that the rebate took FOREVER from the company, which they are notorious for. But as i said, many users or people who have witnessed the TV in use will agree that you cant beat these TV's as they have the best bang for thier buck.

P.S. and no, this is NOT a Westinghouse. Thats like saying Honda and Toyota are the same cause they are both Japanese.

P.P.S. i believe the speakers are detachable on this unit.

This model actually supports 1080i. I own an olevia which is made by Syntax and it is a great TV, although not widely known. Do some google searches for audio visual forums and get a real review by people who actually use/own the TV. My only complaint when purchasing this TV was that the rebate took FOREVER from the company, which they are notorious for. But as i said, many users or people who have witnessed the TV in use will agree that you cant beat these TV's as they have the best bang for thier buck.

P.S. and no, this is NOT a Westinghouse. Thats like saying Honda and Toyota are the same cause they are both Japanese.

P.P.S. i believe the speakers are detachable on this unit.

It accepts a 1080i signal, but will not show you 1080i.

Ok, after reading these replies I ALMOST clicked the Cancel Order button lol. HOWEVER, thanks to the AVS forums I found out the tv is being sold on my local COMPUSA, sooo 10 minutes after reading that thread I found myself inside the store! :D

AMAZING picture quality. It was also one of the best looking tv's there, being completely covered by glass, didn't even look like it was LCD. The guy who works there told me it's basically manufactured by LG but rebranded as their own. True or not, I loved it.

The price was the same, I was really tempted to cancel my order at newegg and buy directly from them, but then I wouldn't have a 6-month same as cash offer that I have on newegg.

Can't wait for this baby to arrive :D

So, did you get it yet?