Zune for Europe in 2008

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/10/31/ms_zune_uk_debut/

Microsoft moots 2008 for Euro Zune debut

By Tony Smith

31st October 2006 10:10 GMT

Microsoft's Zune music player and online content store combo is "way off launch" in Europe and the UK, the company has admitted. The "earliest date" it might appear here? The end of 2007, or possibly even 2008, a Microsoft executive has revealed.

"The earliest date it will be in the UK is towards the end of 2007. However, it could easily be 2008," Microsoft media and entertainment alliance manager Dene Schonknecht said, according to UK trade paper New Media Age.

Zune launches in the US on 17 November, priced at $249. Microsoft always indicated the player's overseas debut would be further off, but it's fair to say most observers anticipated a launch next year, sooner rather than later.

Schonknecht's comments, however, suggest Microsoft is willing to cede the market to Apple's iPod for at least two Christmas sales periods. That may not be a bad move. Zune's USP is its Wi-Fi enabled social networking, which not only has to prove itself viable but is inherently a more US-centric feature. Microsoft may well want this kind of thing to become a little more embedded in European youth culture before releasing a product that capitalises upon it.

"They will be working on rolling out the Zune in the UK and Europe with its compatible Zune Market place,? said Schonknecht. ?We haven?t yet selected a music store provider to build marketplace in the UK, which means we?re way off launch.? ?

I can't belive them! I was looking forward to it too!

By that time people would move on to touchscreen ipid or something better. Initially i didnt like apple for being too restrictive with the kind of media one can load on an ipid, but Zune makes them look much better. Of course ipid has gone through several revisions and hopefully overtime Zune can be improved too. I just dont like restrictions on how i use and abuse my media.

The wifi networking isnt such a biggie since it kills your songs after 3 days or 10 times playback. How many of you run around exchanging songs rather then ripping your fav CD to mp3 or acc? Im not in highschool, i dont have 14yr olds running around carrying zunes with them to exchange music. Heck only a handful of people i know have ipid and even those are 1st or 2nd gen. Except power users like us or those with huge cash flow who live on the bleeding edge (a very small percentile) people dont rush out and throw their old equipment just because apple or microsoft pooped something new.

So, after this announcement, I will definetly be buying the iPod. 5G or 6G, I'm not sure. Hopefully Apple will impress me with my first purchase from them.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/10/31/ms_zune_uk_debut/

I can't belive them! I was looking forward to it too!

Thanks for informing but this has already been released several days before. But thanks for informing anyhow :)

So, after this announcement, I will definetly be buying the iPod. 5G or 6G, I'm not sure. Hopefully Apple will impress me with my first purchase from them.

Your making a big mistake buying a iPod when there are other players that are much better. But hey its your money.

By that time people would move on to touchscreen ipid or something better. Initially i didnt like apple for being too restrictive with the kind of media one can load on an ipid, but Zune makes them look much better. Of course ipid has gone through several revisions and hopefully overtime Zune can be improved too. I just dont like restrictions on how i use and abuse my media.

The wifi networking isnt such a biggie since it kills your songs after 3 days or 10 times playback. How many of you run around exchanging songs rather then ripping your fav CD to mp3 or acc? Im not in highschool, i dont have 14yr olds running around carrying zunes with them to exchange music. Heck only a handful of people i know have ipid and even those are 1st or 2nd gen. Except power users like us or those with huge cash flow who live on the bleeding edge (a very small percentile) people dont rush out and throw their old equipment just because apple or microsoft pooped something new.

did you purposely do this or do you just not know how to spell ipod. i mean every instance of it you wrote it as ipid.

My god people, there is the Creative Vision:M

Seriously, why buy an iPod...

Personal preference. Why should you care what someone else buys? As long as the thing doesn't kill your mother and eat your dog, it really doesn't matter.

As for the topic on hand, this is incredibly poor planning on Microsoft's part. Without the device being out by March '07 in EU the latest, it's bound to fail. You either need to go in with all your guns blazing or you don't go in at all. Jobs is probably loving this.

Isn't the Zune trying to market toward the indie music genre? I might be mistaken but i would say a large portion of garage bands, and underground music users would be in the UK/Western Europe.

Personal preference. Why should you care what someone else buys? As long as the thing doesn't kill your mother and eat your dog, it really doesn't matter.

but what if it does :shifty: :|

Apple 1 : 0 Microsoft :(

Stupid fools by the time Zune comes out in Europe which has a massive userbase a new iPod will be out! The new touch screen one maybe next Sept.