• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Xbox, is it worth it?

ILMagic    0

I am looking to buy a game console but Im not sure which to get...

Xbox (Halo is tempting)

GameCube

or PS 2

Anyone have a say on this :| ?

X    0

stick with the pc dude....

Toxicfume    7

I'm not impressed by the PS2

I kind of..don't like GC's games

I have yet to try out XBOX

RME    0

Is it worth it ?Yes?

Can I afford it ?:(No? :(

Gooey    1

I'd say don't ask that question coz it's just so open ended and it could go on for years. ;)

A lot of people around here seem to be XBox fans, I personally favour the GameCube. Technically the GC is the best, but technical doen't really matter. My advice then is to read about them, try them out and decide for yourself.

Maximus    0

All 3 consoles have their Pros and cons, not one is better than the other. They are all great consoles and no matter which one you purchase you'll enjoy it.

Hell if I had the money, I'd own all 3 consoles.

Roger H.    776

Hell-motha-shut your mouth! YES!!! I've never really been interested in video games that much but since i got my new system (1.2ghz and GeForce 2 64MB and 768MB of RAM) i decided to try out some of the latest and i'm hooked. The first game i got was Max Payne and i'm still playing that game! :D I new PSX had tons of games so i wanted to see what else is out there... to wet my tongue a lil, but i knew PSX had crappy gfx so i decided to check out the PS2. It was good but nothing close to what my PC can offer... :) I recently played Xbox at the game-a-thon in NY. My thumbs are still hurting and that was like 2 weekends ago! I played straight (with 3 other guys, playing Halo) for about 6 hours then they kicked us off but i hook up on another system and started again!! I was there till about 7AM after going there at 10PM hehe. FUN!!!

DEFINITELY GET XBOX! If my girlfriend don't like me stuck on games she can take a hike (cuz I know other girls who want me now anyways HEHE) but i would miss her if she left :( Oh well.. new girl new (wink wink);)

murfster    0

We all know that Xbox is going to have an ethernet connector, but does PS2 or Nintendo's Gamecube?

Personally, I like the PC games because if I want to upgrade something I can. I don't think we are going to get that with either xbox, gamecube or PS2.

If I had my choice on game consoles, I think I would go with xbox because game developers are working off the MS marketing and hype.

vodkacow    0

ok 4 one fing!!

it's a microsoft product!!.................the bloody thing is already crashing on ppl........the store testing machines all had sum kind of failure!!

i wouldn't be supprised if i saw the infamous blue screen in the middle of playing a game!!

i'm stickin w/ ps2 and/or gamecube!!

i've had enough of this microcrap!!

neowin_hipster    0

PS2 is a piece of ****. My ****box of a computer is better. Game Cube has no games. Sorry, I mean 1 GAME. Who would buy a system for 1 game!. X-Box is the best friggen console ever. Not only is every developper jumping to create for it, it is better than almost everyone's PC; even at a fraction of the cost.:cool: :cool:

Update: (synonym for crap)

hmm. Even though **** is part of a word (****box) , it seems to automatically edit it. Let's see, hmm. ****ake mushroom. ****zu dogs. ****break (nick of guy in american pie) LOL :lick: :lick:

IceHawk    0
Originally posted by vodkacow

i wouldn't be supprised if i saw the infamous blue screen in the middle of playing a game!!

i'm stickin w/ ps2 and/or gamecube!!

i've had enough of this microcrap!!

It's not blue, it's green.

X-Box is horrible, because it will be easily emulated on a normal computer.

crazykaks    0

the xbox and the gamecube both lick balls... the better of the 3 gamin systems is easily p2... but yet a computer can beat that with graphics if you are lookin for a gamin system other then computer then definitly go with the p2 it is so much better the gamecube and xbox... games for those 2 suck but p2 has some nice games to played... escpecially the new tony hawk 3! oh yeah tony will help the p2 out a lot..

superrcat    0

crazykaks... why don't you at least try the other systems before saying what is best.

brendl    0

Many people will buy a Gamecube simply because it has the familiar name of Nintendo. And Xbox will most likely be avoided by many becuase of the Microsoft name, the common stereotype is that it will crash and you will have to upgrade it etc becuase microsoft made it. The units that crashed were not final units and they crashed becuase of a fan problem, its very unlikely that any final units will crash. Its running a 500k windows 2000 kernel so it will NOT have dll errors or blue screens but many people are ignorant and will back away from it anyway. All I know is xbox is the most powerful of the 3 and you get the most for your money... but what matters is the games. So far it looks to me like Xbox will be the best of the 3 consoles to buy, but its only my opinion.

YahoKa    0

Well, they both look awesome. Really $$$ though :( If i had the money i would buy them, but for now i will stick to my pc that does everything. I would probably have to trust GameCube more, because Nintendo has been in the buisness longer, but microsoft has done an excellent job on dealing with the games, etc. etc.

Anyhow, i would just buy a GeForce 3 Ti-500 :D

DigitalDude    0

what i think is that microsoft is trying to dominate yet another area. They must have some sort of 10 year plan or something. And another thing is that they have to use other people's stuff cause they are so stupid they cant do it themselves. Nintendo and Sony are more innovative.

Budster64    0

Well, first off that is the plan for any business...domination of their market and as many others as possible. That's what Sony and Nintendo have been trying to do, it's what any company tries to do. So wether you like MS or not, they're not the first to try and dominate in the market place.

Wether a game system is worth it or not really depends on the capabilities of the system and even more so on what games are developed for it. If the games are killer, people will buy it, if good games are continually made on a constant schedule for the platform...more and more people will buy it.

insofar as MS being stupid cause they didn't develope it from the ground up...maybe not so stupid...with the plethora of already available components out there and NVidia designs it will be much easier to recoop the R&D and manufacturing costs than it will be for Sony ( check out article in the frontpage)

Gooey    1

brendl, this whole power thing is wrong. So the Xbox has the fastest processor, so what? You have to look at the system as a whole. For example memory; the XBox's memory is DDR which is :cool: (and as a side note was used in the N64 :p). However Ninty decided to use an even faster type of memory that does not suffer the same initial latency, making the first access a lot faster. It's all about building a balanced system. As far as I can see MS have just gone for the brute force route like that do with everything else.

If anyone has any information to say that MS didn't take a brute force approach I'd love to see it.:D

Joel    26
Originally posted by Goalie_CA

PS2 is a piece of ****. My ****box of a computer is better. Game Cube has no games. Sorry, I mean 1 GAME. Who would buy a system for 1 game!. X-Box is the best friggen console ever. Not only is every developper jumping to create for it, it is better than almost everyone's PC; even at a fraction of the cost.:cool: :cool:

Gamecube has more than one decent game and plenty more on the horizon. Surely you will buy future Xbox games even if they're not out now.

And every developer is saying that the Gamecube is easier to develop for than either PS2 or Xbox. Guess we'll have to wait and see how it goes.

vodkacow    0

i'm not fukcing ignorant!!

i kno exactly what i'm talkin bout.................

i'm jus jokin bout the infamous blue screen!!

all i'm tryin 2 say is dat because of microsoft's "amazing" and illustrious history of giving consumers "quality" products, that we all MIGHT jus MIGHt be a little casious of spending half a grand on a microsoft product!!

:)

oh and btw....ps2 rulz!!

freeza    11

pretty sure N64 used rambus

Budster64    0

well, I just got back from CompUSA and every Xbox they got in today was sold before 12PM...they have another 40 units coming in and I was told " you better put your name on the list as 95% of those are already gone"

Oh and one thing I have to mention...if you're going to compare Xbox to other MS products then comparing it to an operating system doesn't really make sense does it. Why not compare it to other MS hardware like Intellimouse, Sidewinder and precision products...I think in that respect they've provided some decent quality products.

mortensen    0
Why not compare it to other MS hardware like Intellimouse, Sidewinder and precision products...I think in that respect they've provided some decent quality products.

I agree - I love my M$ Wheel Mouse Optical.

NEway, this topic is pointless because everyone has different opinions. Lots of people say that Goldeneye is brilliant and is even better than Half-Life but I think it sucks major ass. In-fact, the N64 was pretty rubbish in my opinion [just like that failed black brick sitting in my corner - Sega Saturn]. The only console that can be called an absolute success is the Playstation. Sony managed to get people to buy it [and STILL are] even though the graphics weren't brilliant and the games were [are] expensive.

Personally, from what I've seen of the PS2 is looks crap. The Gamecube could be good [my brother wants to get one to go with his Gameboy Advance - note that he hasn't played it in months!] but I think the best console will be the Xbox... I also think that the price will kill it. I would HAPPILY go straight out and get one if ONLY it was ?200. Also, I think M$ has the money to go places with the Xbox [unlike Nintendo with the failed N64, or Sega with it's failed Saturn and Dreamcast]... and buying it you could be sure it would still be around in 2 years.

Either way I'm not fussed... a Gamecube will be nice and so would an Xbox... I think I'll have to spend a few days down Toys'R'Us play testing them both b4 I was to buy either one though.

PS - Halo for Xbox looks SO sweet... as does Resident Evil [the remake] for Gamecube... BOTH ARE STUNNING!

OVERALL: As long as Sony doesn't succeed with the PS2 as it did with the Playstation then I don't think it matters who wins. I just would HATE to see "The Console Machine TM" to be dominant with its never ending line up of sequels of sequels [Tekken 4, Ridge Racer 4, GTA3 you get my point - not that they're bad game at all... just that originality is a preferable default, with sequels being the exception].

PPS - PLEASE LucasArts release a good new space sim. PLEASE!

Budster64    0
Originally posted by mortensen

PS - Halo for Xbox looks SO sweet... as does Resident Evil [the remake] for Gamecube... BOTH ARE STUNNING!

These two are the reason I am considering getting both :D

But all this "this one rules, no that one is better" is no different than every other discussion i.e. Chevy vs Ford...etc.

And as far as the PS2 is concerned...MGS2 :D

I sincerely need to ask my boss for a raise ;)

Roger H.    776

Well Metal Gear will be on the XBOX... i think it's called Metal Gear X! I can't wait to get that too... :) But i'm getting my xbox next weekend, i have this girl that likes me at compusa hide one in the back so when i come next week it'll be there :)

shhh.. don't tell me girlfriend.