Gamecube saving

I do not own a Gamecube.

This is something I have regreted, as there are a few games that I missed out on.

I am getting a Wii.

I also plan on getting a few of those said games I missed out on.

Do I need a Gamecube memory card with the Wii if I plan on saving games (like Windwaker)?

You'll have to buy the GameCube memory cards to save from GameCube games. The official Nintendo one costs about $25. I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with a new Wii-branded one at, or soon after, launch.

Actually khaos34 is incorrect. The Wii creates a VIRTUAL Gamecube Memory Card within the 512mb of Flash Memory.

How do I know this? There was a Wii Test Unit demonstration on a website (apologies for not remembering which.. It might have been IGN with a mixture of Gears of War footage at the end), and they showed off how it works.

So don't worry, you won't have to buy any Gamecube memory cards.. However, I would recommend buying a gamecube controller.. It will be compatible with the Virtual Console, Wii games that support it, Gamecube Games, ect.. Why get it instead of the classic controller?? Because the classic controller doesn't work with Gamecube games. Thus it's kinda a waste.

Yeah, I've been active in a post about traditional Wii controllers on another forum, so I think I have that one worked out. Thanks for the info on the memory card though! Now that means I only have to invest in an SD card, which is totally fine by me (who likes proprietary when open will do?!)

Looks like I stand corrected :) Sorry about that - that's good news for me, too! Do you know if you can also use the SD card for GC saves? Regardless, I'm picking up the $25 2gb Sandisk on Black Friday.

Actually khaos34 is incorrect. The Wii creates a VIRTUAL Gamecube Memory Card within the 512mb of Flash Memory.

How do I know this? There was a Wii Test Unit demonstration on a website (apologies for not remembering which.. It might have been IGN with a mixture of Gears of War footage at the end), and they showed off how it works.

So don't worry, you won't have to buy any Gamecube memory cards.. However, I would recommend buying a gamecube controller.. It will be compatible with the Virtual Console, Wii games that support it, Gamecube Games, ect.. Why get it instead of the classic controller?? Because the classic controller doesn't work with Gamecube games. Thus it's kinda a waste.

Does anybody know if they're going to make a white version of the GameCube controller? I would love that.

They make a "platinum" version, which is pretty close.

B0002Y5180.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64987008_.jpg

:/ Well let's just hope they come out with a white one to match the Wii. I don't see any reason not to.

:/ Well let's just hope they come out with a white one to match the Wii. I don't see any reason not to.

You can get a white gamecube pack in Europe that includes a white controller.

gcpearlwhiteconsole_gc.jpg

Nintendo won't go releasing a white gamecube controller for use with Wii though, I'm pretty sure of that. The closest to white that's readily available would be the grey Wavebird controller, which also happens to be the best gamecube controller :)

You could always wait for the black Wii to come out and get some black GC controllers if you're that worried about it :)

I don't think there is a virtual memory card in the flash memory. This guy put in a gamecube disk and the game said there was no memory card.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gxufhbgLjY

D'oh!!!! OK, well, guess a memcard is on the shopping list too.

Then again, he didn't know how to re-calibrate the controller either, so maybe there's an option before you start a GC game to set up a virtual memory card...? /me is still hopeful.

If your going to get some GC games you MUST get Eternal darkness. IMO that game is worth the cost of the GC itself :p

and it makes me cry to know that MS brought out the studio that made it :(

If your going to get some GC games you MUST get Eternal darkness. IMO that game is worth the cost of the GC itself :p

and it makes me cry to know that MS brought out the studio that made it :(

I'll keep that in mind. My number one GCN game to purchase is LoZ: Wind Waker.