Where does FNPLicensingService.exe come from?

Question

This license could be used for a number of pieces of software. It's usually there for higher-end industry based software. For example, all Autodesk software, Matlab, and OrCAD use this to maintain a legit license on the machine (in place of a dongle or something). What software do you have?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that although this service is set to 'automatic' by default it's usually alright to switch it to 'manual'. The software that it's licensing will turn it on only if it's needed.

Yeah if you have installed Acrobat 8 you will get this program popping up. It is used for the update feature. One way to quell it is stop the service FLEXnet Licensing Service and set it to disabled, this will prevent it from running which should not be a problem.

is there a definite way to disable this service permanently?

i've tried numerous methods including from services.msc, renaming folder, renaming exe, deleting it, etc. etc.. The installshield keep recovering the files from the local cache. If i remove the local cache files, it will definitely ask for it anyway ... :crazy:

I see what keeps putting it back in play. The Acrobat Assistant seems to be the problem. Here is how I stopped it from showing up anymore.

First kill Acrobat Assistant from your HKLM / Run registry entry.

Then stop and disable the FLEXnet Licensing Service.

Or, I've included a reg file that will remove the Acrobat Assistant autorun entry and disable the FLEXnet Licensing Service in case you aren't registry or services savvy. Run that file and kill the FNPLicensingService.exe from Windows Task Manager and you shouldn't see it anymore.

acrobat_fnplicensingservice_fix.zip

I see what keeps putting it back in play. The Acrobat Assistant seems to be the problem. Here is how I stopped it from showing up anymore.

First kill Acrobat Assistant from your HKLM / Run registry entry.

Then stop and disable the FLEXnet Licensing Service.

Or, I've included a reg file that will remove the Acrobat Assistant autorun entry and disable the FLEXnet Licensing Service in case you aren't registry or services savvy. Run that file and kill the FNPLicensingService.exe from Windows Task Manager and you shouldn't see it anymore.

so is this the only way, can't you completely uninstall it or does acrobat reinstall it after every use?

I feel a bit hesitant having a program from macrovision on my hd

Running the Distiller launches the Acrobat Assistant(acrotray.exe) which resets fnplicensing thing and reinstalls macrovision crap. Also it seems to randomly reinstall itself I haven't found a fully working work around yet, if I do I will post it here.

You can delete the Macrovision folder in Program File\Common Files\ after deleting the autorun setting and disabling FLEXnet service.

I do not use Adobe Photoshop but I imagine it does some of the same things this new Acrobat does, so it is slowing down from reinstalling or restarting the FLEXnet service even though you have it set to disabled.

Edited by MikesLogic

i have the same problem, FNPLicensingServer, after i installed adobe acrobat pro 8.

my solution is:

1. kill the process "FNPLicensingService.exe" from the Task Manager

2. go to \Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\ and delete the 2 files "FNPLicensingService.exe" and "fnp_registrations.xml" and instead create 2 folders with the same name/extension.

when you start acrobat now it wont be able to create those 2 files which you have deleted and replaced with the folders, so FNP service wont be able to start.

i hope this helps for everyone.

:whistle:

looks like the problem is not fully solved :no: as to me since the acrobat cannot create those files "FNPLicensingService.exe" and "fnp_registrations.xml" so now that the FNP service does not start, while using acrobat i encounter an error message during i work on a file..

if that FNP service doesnt run, acrobat crashes :cry:

Empty the prefetch folder too after u disable the service and remove it from Task Manager.

X:\windows\prefetch

by default, windows pretch program components and load them when system starts up.

i always thought it was because of fineprint or something.. lol.

now i know it's caused by adobe acrobat..

i just close it from task manager after .

The problem has never been resolved is why this old thread has been revived. I'm getting tired of the process taking up memory and Adobe running software without our knowledge. FNPLicensingService.exe either has to run or ADOBE just shuts down after a few seconds of viewing a PDF file. I did what "Daring Drop" said to do first and then I ran the reg file by MikesLogic which are both suggestions from last year. Nothing is working today. Any more fresh ideas?

interesting discussion. query: what's the practical problem with FNPLS? zone alarm logs FNPLS as "activation licensing service" and when i block it from accessing internet there's no problem. Is FNPLS intended to kill bootlegged versions of Acrobat-8? Or just to report home so they can come for you with the army?

Does anyone knows where does FNPLicensingService.exe comes from?

ever heard of google, it woudl be alot quicker than asking someone here. e.g. it took me all of 30 seconds to find

If you have recently installed Adobe Acrobat 8, you may have noticed that it launches a process called FNPLicensingService.exe every time you start up your PC. This program is a necessary licensing utility that Adobe uses for the Acrobat software.

People have tried many different methods to disable the FNPLicensingService, however, Acrobat WILL NOT RUN without this service.

If you disable the service by using the Services Control Panel (services.msc) or msconfig, Adobe Acrobat will simply re-enable it without asking.

If you attempt to rename the files or folders, the Adobe Acrobat software will just create a new folder with the necessary files.

let's find an answer to the question: what's the practical problem with FNPLS? Why stop the service?

See http://www.macrovision.com/

ever heard of google, it woudl be alot quicker than asking someone here. e.g. it took me all of 30 seconds to find

If you have recently installed Adobe Acrobat 8, you may have noticed that it launches a process called FNPLicensingService.exe every time you start up your PC. This program is a necessary licensing utility that Adobe uses for the Acrobat software.

People have tried many different methods to disable the FNPLicensingService, however, Acrobat WILL NOT RUN without this service.

If you disable the service by using the Services Control Panel (services.msc) or msconfig, Adobe Acrobat will simply re-enable it without asking.

If you attempt to rename the files or folders, the Adobe Acrobat software will just create a new folder with the necessary files.

go with foxit you wont get this kinda stuff with it,adobe is very big apps and very hungry too ffor resources.