No Broadband

Hello. I got ATT broadband today and the installer gave up. She said i'm on my own. My PC will not pull an IP. I tried almost everything. I have XP pro, Motorola SB4200 Surfboard Cable modem. It shows there is a connection but........................Here's a SS. Please help if you can.

connect.jpg

It shows your modem connection (via usb I assume) is disabled... Are you using it via firewire ? I'm not familiar with that modem....

Edit: I looked up the specs for that modem and it doesn't offer a 1394 connection... So what's the 1394 connection for ?

You need to enable local area connection six... Then right click on it and click repair... If that doesn't work unplug the cable modem (from it's power source) then turn off your computer, then turn the modem back on and wait for the connection light to come on (30 seconds or so) then turn the computer back on....

congratz on getting broadband lynchknot. now to actually get it working...

it seems as if the modem is connected to your PC via USB. have you tried uninstalling the software that came with the modem and then reinstalling the software. then before plugging the usb cable from the modem into your PC, make sure that all the LED indicators on the modem indicates a connection. XP should detect your connection when you plug in the usb then.

it does seem as if you have an ethernet card though. i would rather use this instead of the usb. to use this, you'd probably have to uninstall the usb modem software and connecting the RJ45 cable into your PC from the modem should do the trick.

Briandl79's suggestion of power-resetting your modem is a good idea. Usually the suggested time to leave the modem unpowered would be a minute.

Yeah it's basically up to you as to which connection you would rather use, via the NIC or USB... The reason I gave you instructions for USB is because that's the way it's already plugged in... You don't have it connected via the NIC as shown by the network cable unplugged message.....

How's that hard drive Mimeryme ?

So you decided to go with the NIC connection I assume ? Did you follow the instructions on resetting the cable modem and restarting the computer ? You might also want to run the network setup wizard....

a NIC is a network card, if you look at the back of your computer it looks similar to a phone jack except it's bigger (RJ45), in order to use the connection via NIC you should have a cable plugged into the NIC and the other end in the back of the cable modem...

Have you done that ?

Feel free to message me on AIM or MSN, we should be able to resolve this quicker that way....

First make shure you have your modem conected to the ISP, once you confrim that check the RJ45 cable. Now it depends from the modem interface, you might need a cross over cabel or a straight, you should try both, also make shure that you have enabled DHCP in you network properties.

It shouldnt be that complicated.

Well tell us step by step what happens.... What happens when you try enabling local area connection 6 ?

BTW

MSN:Briandl79@hotmail.com

AIM:PlanetNexiz

always the helpful one :)

btw, hard drive still works like a charm.

Here's a step by step:

First follow the following diagram:

Image16.gif

As you can see the modem is connected to the cable first, then the network cable is connected to the modem and the pc, finally plug in the power.

Wait 30-60 seconds. You should have a light that blinks to indicate that the modem is connected, on mine it's called "cable" yours may differ, let us know if the modem itself connects.

If so we'll go from there....

Hi!

First connect your cable-TV to the cable modem, then insert a UTP cable (usually straight wired) into the UTP connector on the modem at one end and in the UTP connector on the Network card that you have on your PC.

Turn on the PC and the modem.

Usually the modem should have some LEDs indicating it's working. There should be a power LED, and, in most cases a CABLE LED that shows you when the modem is synchronized. The cable LED should (in most cases) not blink when the modem is synchronized.

The first time the cable modem synchronizes with your cable provider it might take about 5 to 10 minutes, after that, if you just unplug the modem (and not reset it) it should take about 10 seconds.

Another thing is to set up in Windows your IP, Gateway or DNS server(s) - this info should be provided by our cable provider. It could also be configured by DHCP, but I haven't seen this so far.

Another problem that may appear is that the cable modem must be configured to see only the MAC address of a specific network card (this is the case with some cable providers).

That's about it....

Hope it helps ....

Good luck !!!

lsdn