Xbox Video Marketplace set to go worldwide

Xbox Video Marketplace set to go worldwide

Rob Fahey 14:38 09/11/2006

Microsoft's movie and TV download system will reach beyond the U.S.

The recently announced Xbox Live Video Marketplace, which will allow Xbox 360 users to download movies and TV episodes to their console, will eventually launch outside the United States according to Xbox marketing manager Aaron Greenberg.

Speaking to GamersReports.com at an event in San Francisco this week, Greenberg confirmed that while the current service - which offers high- and standard-definition movies and TV episodes from providers including Warner Brothers, Paramount Pictures and Turner - is for the US only, it will eventually have global reach.

"The platform is built," he said, "and we're able now to get more locally relevant content on the market as we span across the world."

The Video Marketplace has been widely compared to Apple's iTunes Store, which offers TV and movies as well as music for download, and Sony's PlayStation 3 is expected to offer a similar download service through the PlayStation Store.

However, there has been criticism of the Video Marketplace in some quarters - most notably from rival Sony - on the grounds that the ability to download content is only available to users who have a hard drive, thus forcing purchasers of the Xbox 360 Core Pack to buy a hard drive upgrade kit in order to utilise the service.

Microsoft's system also only has 13GB of space available on its drives, which means that only five hours of high definition video can be stored - and despite ongoing rumours of a larger drive for the Xbox 360, the firm is adamant that no such drive is on the cards just yet. Instead, Greenberg suggested that users could buy multiple 20GB drives and swap them around to store more content - although he admitted that such a scheme is "not a perfect workaround".

Source: GamesIndustry.biz

So the hope for UK content is in reach.

Fantastic, if the price of TV shows are cheap, that will be good, as you keep them. :D I just love to collect my favourite shows etc.

I thought it was about $3 for a TV show...no? :huh:

Depends on how much 240 MS Points cost in your country. Also, I believe that video was taken down because there was "some confusion about the pricing". I'm not sure if that means those prices weren't real or that they accidentally revealed them too early.

I was hoping for $1, too, but I guess $3 really isn't too bad for an episode in HD.

Depends on how much 240 MS Points cost in your country. Also, I believe that video was taken down because there was "some confusion about the pricing". I'm not sure if that means those prices weren't real or that they accidentally revealed them too early.

I was hoping for $1, too, but I guess $3 really isn't too bad for an episode in HD.

It has to be comparable to buying a season on dvd (meaning dvd price / # of episodes). Regardless of the format. The vid is locked to your 360 so that limit alone should discount the media

I don't think I will end up buying much at all if anything from this service...I would be interested though in certain pay-per-view content such as boxing matches or maybe even wrestling if the price is right compared to my cable provider.

It has to be comparable to buying a season on dvd (meaning dvd price / # of episodes). Regardless of the format. The vid is locked to your 360 so that limit alone should discount the media

Yes but you dont get High Definition TV shows in a box set and there are rumous about Zune support as well.

Isn't it like 2 with a little more freedom for playback? Like on the pc using itunes or an ipod?

Freedom?

You are locked to Apples format, itunes or ipod, thats it. Not to mention the resolution is worse than DVD.

I like the fact that they are broadening the entertainment options on the marketplace. It gives more options for those that want to take advantage of them. I dont really like how they have not discussed any storage options beyond the 20 gig HD in any detail whatsoever. What happens when that HD gets full and you dont wanna delete any of the content you have already purchased and downloaded. It seems that the only option is to purchase another 20 GB HD. That can get kinda pricy at $100 a pop. There are many rumors out there, 80 and 100 GB HDs possible coming, online storage you can pay for, etc. Nothing is solid or concrete, and this is a service that is supposed to launch a little under 2 weeks??? A little more light on the situation would be nice, thats about the only complaint I have about it right now.