Valentino Rossi tries DTM!

Valentino Rossi's latest four-wheel outing has seen the five-times MotoGP world champion test Mika Hakkinen's DTM Mercedes.

The 27-year-old Italian, who was denied his sixth consecutive MotoGP title by Nicky Hayden at the Valencia season finale, drove the German touring car at Hockenheim on Thursday (pictured) - setting 'consistently fast lap times'.

"The test was great fun," said Rossi afterwards. "The AMG-Mercedes C-Class is an impressive race car which can almost be driven like a formula car. I don't know yet if I will ever race on four wheels; however, it is good to know that I wouldn't look so bad doing so, and I thank Mercedes-Benz for this opportunity."

"Valentino is an icon of international sport," stated Norbert Haug, vice president Mercedes-Benz Motorsport. "He immediately acclimatised very well to the AMG-Mercedes C-Class. He is an extraordinary racing driver whose seven motorbike world championship titles mark an outstanding achievement. He also proves great talent in a race car. With his sense of humour and his always sympathetic appearance he immediately made friends in the team.

"This test of such a calibre like Valentino Rossi is an honour for the DTM as a race series, even if now it shouldn't be assumed that Valentino is poised to swap his two wheels for four wheels with roof," he warned.

Rossi ruled out a move to Formula One with Ferrari earlier this year, but has long been linked to some form of permanent four-wheel switch and will drive a Subaru in the forthcoming Rally of New Zealand round of the WRC.

However, Rossi has already committed to staying in MotoGP, with Yamaha, next season.

Source

• 2 weeks later...