• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

divx in XP?

Phylos_1    0

I have yet to get any DivX or Mpeg4 type codecs to work on my system.... using XP RC2 2532

Has anyone else ran into this problem? is there a work around or a way to get them to work?

without these codecs working, my video media players can't do much right now.... :( all I get is a line of "static" or snow, if you would, at the bottom of the screen.

Dcrad    0

ive install the divx codecs on 2526 ok, didnt seem to have any probs, unless 2532 is that different i would think that you shouldnt have that much trouble,,i used an installer if that helps.:)

Getchoo    0

no problem here in 2526, not with 3.11 nor divx 4

aco    0

Don't install the 4.0b or whateva, install the 3.11 and it should be fine!:)

Phylos_1    0

none of the codecs I currently have seem to work even with reinstall.

I believe the problem may lie with Windows media player or the ActiveX controls... anyone know how to test this or fix it if it is this?

I've had this problem since I origanly upgraded to RC1

NTUsEr    2

Ok first windows media player 7-8 suck! second it works, just use Gdivx player (gdivx.com i think) and it will work fine, work fine for me with the beta 4 codec

aco    0

If you downloaded the moviez off someone and havent checked them on another computer, then it could be a possibility that the file is unfinished or corrupt. :(

khaos34    0

yes... the above is right, sometimes movies are unfinished or corrupt... the playa, which is included with the divx 4.0 codec bundle (latest is beta 3 @ www.divx.com) usually plays unfinished movies.

if you suspect the movie is unfinished and would like to test it out in any player, try and get divFix (i forget the URL, but i'm sure u can get it at www.divx-digest.com) and rebuild the index of the movie yer tryin' to watch.

anyway, both the 3.11 and new 4.0b3 codecs should work fine... and btw, if you can, try and use Windows Media Player 6.4. It comes with XP too, just like 2000 ("c:program fileswindows media player" folder). My WMP 6.4 plays some content that WMP 8 can't play, and you can also adjust settings like brightness, contrast, etc. with the divx codec properties that you can't adjust in WMP 8. Das all, me finished. =p

Phylos_1    0

still the same static/snow even using wmp6.4

all my movies using some form of mpeg 4 are giving me this trouble..... they didn't/don't in ME (dual booting). I had most of these movies prior to going with XP.

I've also tried them out on about a half dozen other computers and they all work fine unfortunately none of them are running XP:( , so I can't do a true test. Several of them are from shadowrealm,but even a reinstall of their codec doesn't work for their stuff.

seems to be a mind boggling problem and I apprieacite your help and will still be open to more ideas.

Thanks again

Phylos_1    0

Well, it looks like the final release of DivX 4 has solved my problems! all my movies are now able to work! I believe this confirms my theory about activeX controls being mis registered.

Thanx angain to all who made recomendations!

mortensen    0

Hey, why with The Playa can't you skip forward? Is it just the DivX file I've got or is it a general limitation?

-mortensenj

Phylos_1    0

Planet of the apes skips forward fine for me....

sinse install I don't have any trouble with my movies, but have noticed some bugs in playa...

after a while screen goes black in full screen mode, like a screen saver, but I don't use 'em (screen savers)... also if you use the "pop up menu" button on the keyboard it crashes.

roks1    0

DivX 4.0 beta is out, it works fine with xp 2535:)

mortensen    0

Yeah - Mine skips now... but at the end of a DivX movie it tends to lock. It's easy to Ctrl-Alt-Del out of it, but it still locks at the end of each Endgame episode.

PS - I finally got BOTH parts of the final episode of Voyager. I'm happy.

-mortensenj

Malechai    120

Why not just go directly to the official site?

http://www.divx.com