"Video driver failed to initialize"

Hey all I'm stuck in a really bad place. I got some new nVidia drivers for my laptop from laptopvideo2go and im royally ****ed.

Everytime I try and turn it on normally it just shuts off when the windows screen comes on.

When I try to F8 and go to use last known good settings, vga mode, safe mode they all blue screen with the video driver failed to initialize and shut off. I can't access the HP recovery becasue blue screens with the same error (it's weird how HP has their recovery thing with XP? - it does say HP with a cool loading screen thou)

I tried ubuntu live linux to delete the vga.sys and nv4_display.dll and all graphics card files but it only mounts as a read-only filesystem no matter what I do.

I tried using Server 2003 cd to go to recovery console as soon as the setup screem comes up (where the options for pressing enter to start or R for recovery comes up) it shuts off.

I tried using an XP CD to go to the recovery console, as soon as the menu comes up. it freezes.

I have a TON of stuff on my HDD that I really don't want to loose, and formatting I would hate to do but it looks like im going there...

The stop error is

STOP: 0x000000B4 (0x85A576D8, 0x85A56000, 0x85A55000, 0x00050000)

Please can anyone help?

Odd that that occurs in safemode. Some low-level video driver must have gotten replaced or something. Sheesh. First, it's kinda hard (or impossible) to install the stuff necessary to get reliable read/write access to a NTFS formatted drive in Linux, so unless you plan on pulling files from the harddrive and putting them on a USB Hard Drive, there isn't much you can do about fixing the problem in Linux. So far I know the BSOD has:

video driver failed to initialize

STOP: 0x000000B4 (0x85A576D8, 0x85A56000, 0x85A55000, 0x00050000)

Is there anything else you can give me? Do the stop errors always remain the same?

The main issue is to get your data off safely so you can muck around without fear of losing it.

Have you tried using your windows XP cd to do an in place UPGRADE of your OS (re: NOT a fresh install, yet)? It should keep all your settings and files (DON'T REFORMAT!) and fix anything that might have gotten munged.

If that doesn't work, you may need to remove the drive, transfer the data to a second machine, then do a complete HP restore/wipe to get the laptop back to normal, then move the data back on via network/dvd/whatever.

Hope this helps.

Well I somehow managed to wipe my second drive (that had just junk on it) and put a working XP install on there. It's working fine.

However, my other XP install (the one that was really buggered up) is still on my first harddrive (this laptop has two) and I can still see the paritions they are healthy and NTFS but unknown? Any idea how I can access them to recover all my files?

Thanks.

Screenshot attached to show you what I mean.

post-133564-1163294294_thumb.jpg

Sorry I would have edited my post above but there is no edit feature.

Anyways I solved the problem just by getting a data recovery software tool, File Scavenger. Which works great and I got EVERYTHING back.

Thanks a lot guys!