[Review] MacBook Pro C2D 2.33GHz

He posted how much he paid for the laptop, not once, but twice! ?1,444

Macbook Pro's HDD is 5400 RPM I believe.

It's a 5400 RPM, although you can upgrade to a 7200 RPM drive if you wish. Obviously it would use more power and cost more.

• 3 weeks later...
To the OP, would you recommend this to a person going to university in September?

I would. I think a laptop computer is very useful for college, and Apple certainly puts a lot of build quality into their laptops, which is worth its wait in gold. I love my Dell Inspiron E1405, but I'll be the first to admit that the build quality is pretty bad. The lid is flimsy, you can press down on the screen and plastic. Not everyone may enjoy the higher price of the MacBook/Pro, but the build quality is the best of any laptop computer I've ever tried out. I wish now I had waited a few weeks and bought one instead of the Dell.

Also note that Parallels Desktop and/or Boot Camp allows you to run Windows XP/Vista natively.

What do you intend doing on it?

Gaming and just office work, nothing to serious as long as it can play a bit of BF2 and CSS thats fine, this would be my first Mac if I did buy it.

The MacBook would be able to do this, and if you can wait for the next revision, it should include a new onboard gfx chip which is a hell of a lot better than the current one.

• 1 month later...

Just an update, my MBP has been nothing but amazing, 100% reliable. I think i got a really good one, it virtually has no problems. I can see this lasting me a good while :)

I had no interest, so pretty much gave up selling it. The power surpasses what i need, but hey, might as well keep it.

Actually, i just got myself a copy of Age of Empires 3 for it and it runs great on it, i have only played it when its been hooked up to my Dell 2407WFP. Not exactly a game to put stress on the system, but when EA are going to be releasing quite a few games for mac in the future, i will get one or two and see how it performs on those.

Actually, i just got myself a copy of Age of Empires 3 for it and it runs great on it, i have only played it when its been hooked up to my Dell 2407WFP. Not exactly a game to put stress on the system, but when EA are going to be releasing quite a few games for mac in the future, i will get one or two and see how it performs on those.

Sorry to get off subject, but I just hooked up my MBP to my Dell 2407WFP and the text and icons are cumming out sorta blurry, and not sharp. I was wondering what you did to remedy this or if you're noticing the same thing? It looks perfect on my windows box. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

How did you connect it? DVI to DVI?

I had no problems what so ever, how're you viewing the display? is it mirror image or being used as the primary display?

How did you connect it? DVI to DVI?

I had no problems what so ever, how're you viewing the display? is it mirror image or being used as the primary display?

It's connected via DVI to DVI, and I'm using mirror image. How do you have yours set up? If possible I'd like to duplicate it as close as possible. Thanks for the response and the help.

Well, just tried it out with the Dell being the main display and not mirrored and its looks beautiful! I don't plan on using the display on the MBP at all when I have it hooked up to the Dell, mainly cause I really have no need to use two screens especially with a 24 inch monitor going. I just tried shutting the lid of the MBP and it causes the mac to go to sleep. I can just dim it down all the way by pressing F1, but the screen technically is still on and technically still affect the life of the screen.

Do you have your setup with mirroring or no? Have you found a way to have the lid close on your MBP and not cause the Mac to go to sleep? Maybe I'm overlooking a display setting somewhere?

Again, I appreciate the help.

That's how i do it, i use the Dell as the main monitor but close the lid. You need to set it up so you can wake it up after closing it. This is done through the bluetooth setting:

"Allow buetooth device to wake this computer"

which means you need a bluetooth mouse or keyboard. I use both.

That is not advisable to do with the MacBooks and the old iBooks / Powerbooks since they dissipated heat through their keyboards but the MacBook Pros I think are good to go.

That is not advisable to do with the MacBooks and the old iBooks / Powerbooks since they dissipated heat through their keyboards but the MacBook Pros I think are good to go.

Source? I just wanna be sure...

I have a stand to, but you can always lift up the screen anyway and the laptop screen will still be turned off.