Vista, Office 2007 cracked. Kind of.

This is why there needs to be stiffer penalties in place for piracy.

If I can't afford a chocolate bar, I don't steal it. If I can't afford a piece of software, I don't steal that either.

It is just common sense.

People always bitch and moan about the cost of software, yet they don't realize the cost of _making_ said software. Software authors are real people with real daily lives. Just as you value your money, so do they.

When you pirate a program that even costs as little as $25, you could be stealing $25 from someone's family. I don't care how big or how small the company is. They work hard to create the software we use, and they deserve to be paid for it.

Just as you deserve to be paid for the work you do.

Yeah, but a chocolate bar doesn't cost $400. :D

I don't see why you average joe's even give a rats ass.....go ahead, take your box and your paper

Microsoft paying you to defend their monopolistic prices....piracy isn't a life, its about principle

Other users put it, people's paycheck doesn't get affected by piracy

well, we might as well demand the oil companies provide free gas and oil then, becasue NO ONE makes profit like they do..

Should we force them to provide free products for the world as well?

Would they sell MORE GAS and OIL if the price was cheaper???

Just because companies picked /developed the right products at the right time, doesn't give the masses the right to have their products for free..

Uhhhhhhh lets see lets ask walmart if selling things at half the price of everyone else works or not.

They have as much right to complain about piracy as you do about anti-piracy measures. They've created a product for which there is a very significant demand, and naturally some people cannot or will not abide by the law to get these via official supply channels (i.e. buying it) which is, in some cases, inevitable. However, it's in their interests to maximise profitibilty, and that means minimizing piracy.

They cannot lose their rights just because they make money, that's stupidity.

Your taking my use of the word "right" too literally here (N)

I'm saying that a company like Microsoft is not being affected by Piracy. Their profit margins are enormous, and they have no problems in more than adequately funding any venture that they go for. As such, to invest time and money in anti-piracy measures that pirates will eventually get around, only serves to annoy their paying customers (Like me! :angry: )

How do you figure? Just because a company makes billions does NOT take away their rights to complain about piracy or create anti-piracy measures. They are trying to increase their margin just like every other company out there and that means fighting piracy. I may not like it, you may not like it, but it is their right to do what they wish with their software and their policy. I do think however that if instead of allocating so much time and money fighting piracy, they dropped their prices instead, we would all be better off, but that is not for me or you to decide. If you choose to pirate software, prepare to get your hands dirty. Pirate away but please have a courtesy not to bitch about the fact that the company that made the software is making it too difficult for you.

Dude, did you even read my post? Please point me to the section of it that clearly demonstrated that I pirate software. I most certainly do NOT thankyou very much! :crazy:

Personally I have always found Microsoft's support to be excellent. When you purchase a retail version you get two free phone calls and all the free email tech support you want. They release monthly patches and emergency patches if the problem is severe enough.

For my $300.. that is more than enough to satisfy me. I don't expect much more for a product that cost me $300. My TV cost me $4200 and it only came with a 1 yr default factory warranty.

You see, this is where the difference lies between you and some of the people here, who defend piracy. And this is the same reason for which it is difficult for you to understand us. You are rich, there is no question about it if you can afford TV for 4200$. If you want something, you just go to the shop and buy it, whether it's a music CD, DVD or software. Something might be expensive for you, but with your incomes after few moths you will be able to buy it anyways. You just don't spent all the money that you earn, and that's how you make savings. For us make some savings is hard, it's decision on whether buy some food, cloths, medicine, or save it for future. Same goes for buying something, it's always a difficult decision. I can buy something, but I'm risking that I could run out of money in the end of the month and have no cash for food or medicine, if I get sick. So if we can get samething for free or almost free, why wouldn't we do that? It's not that we are taking something from someone, we just get a copy. We're not reducing they earnings, we wouldn't buy it anyways for that price, it's just too expensive. We have more important things to spent our money to, like surviving for example.

When a company like Microsoft continues to make billions in profit hand over fist, they lose the right to complain about piracy, or to get my sympathy because of it. In addition, they also lose the right to use draconian methods that actually hurt their paying customers (like me :angry: ) to stop it. (Activation +WGA btw)

They have a right to make money but IMO they don't have a right to complain about people pirating their software when they have used pirated software for helping develope their own.

In Santiago, Chile (South America, Argentina, Brazil, etc.), an OEM Windows XP Pro licence cost the same that an 15" LCD Samsung monitor: US $ 190 (yep, $ 190)

(...)

So, if the Hardware is already expensive here, you can't imagine how the Software is. And this is only because taxes and overprice. We can't have retail versions of XP Pro and Office, because they simple costs more even that a full computer (incluiding monitor).

Same here in Poland. Everything cost more, citizen of USA can buy much more for 100$ that I can, but their incomes are couple times higher. XP Home BOX cost here 340$, Pro BOX 500$ and Office 2003 Standard BOX 400$.

And, the XP Starter Edition is an insult for us and everybody knows it. Microsoft is treating like BS. Very few low-entry PCs are sold by this OS, and the people is ending installing a XP Pro pirated version.

Well, we don't have Starter Edition, but even if we would, I doubt anyone would buy it. It is like insult and joke out of the people.

So, the UK and USA prices reality is very different from other countries of the world.

Quoted for Truth

Dude, did you even read my post? Please point me to the section of it that clearly demonstrated that I pirate software. I most certainly do NOT thankyou very much! :crazy:

No you didn't. I'm sorry. I sincerely apologize for that last remark. Got carried away a bit there. I hope we can put it behind us. :) I don't even know why I assumed you did. I should read more carefully from now on. I guess I just felt a need to address that but in the process forgot that I was responding to your post.

Shouldn't this thread be closed already? I think we all know already the consequences of pirating and going illegitimate. We also know that Microsoft is doing the right thing in going after people who pirate but the wrong thing by not offering incentives such as lowering the price of the operating system and providing extended service to the consumers. At least they not flinging lawsuits to everybody who uses a pirated Windows, like the RIAA and the MPAA are doing. Aren't you glad about that?

It's sad reading about some of the comments here. Piracy is wrong. Full stop. It is similar to stealing. Full stop. Microsoft being a corporation doesn't make you justified in pirating their software. Even if the software has bugs, pirating does not help make it better. Some people here are really selfish come to think of it. Let me show you a post made by me here earlier in the thread:

I thought I come in and say a few things here. I come from a country where you can easily find a pirated version of Windows at a major shopping centre without any problems. They cost at the most RM5 which is about 2$ if I'm not mistaken. You're not only limited to OS as you can get games and software of just about any version and they will package it in a nice cover. That is how far piracy has gone from. Yet, I still use an original Windows, bought with my own money by saving from buying cheap food and walking to my university in KL instead of using the LRT.

The reason why I do this is simple - piracy is stealing, full stop. You can lie to yourself that it's justifiable since it's expensive but for me that is a lame excuse. You are willing to pay 600$ to 2000$ to get a PS3 and I don't even have a console, let alone can I afford one. You can get big screen tv's that are HDTV compliant or have HDMI input but I still have an old TV that has lasted with me for almost 12 years. The only new thing that I have is my notebook, which is necessary for my work and studies, and my phone which I use a lot considering the calls I have to make.

I think there are a lot of people who have the wrong idea here despite what you think. You believe that because the software is buggy and such, you just pirate it and not pay for it? How would you feel if I pirate something that you had spent days, weeks or maybe months for others to use only to find that they do not appreciate your work by pirating it. Maybe you get paid for it and you salary is not affected. But ask yourself, how would you feel if you see someone using your software without the proper license?

I can't believe some of the comments in this thread. I'm not poor but I'm not rich either so I have to work hard to get what I want. Some of you are willing to get three gaming consoles at once, buy a graphic card that costs almost RM2000 over here and then change it again in a few months, replace a perfectly working phone for a new model, get a big car even if you're the only one driving it, hold elaborate birthday parties - the list goes on.

Maybe you are not like the people that I have just described. Maybe I'm just spouting hot air. But ask yourself this, if you see someone trying to steal a car, what goes through your head and what is the action you would take? Exchange the same scenario with piracy and you'll find they're one and the same. I paid RM350 for a Windows XP Home and RM500 for a Windows XP Pro. I could easily have gotten both for RM10 or get a special DVD version that has numerous enhancements made by crackers but I don't. I believe that says it all.

Sure, the software is expensive and in a way it is buggy, but that does not give you any right to steal it. If they lower the price, then well done, I'm all for it. But I rather be an honest man with a clear conscience than a thief with no morals. You decide.

Scirwode

I stated here that you're willing to pay extremely high prices for an exotic item, such as the PS3, Xbox 360, high end graphic cards but for something essential to run a computer, you're not willing to pay the price, even if it's a high price to pay? You make me ashamed. How could this be? You try to explain it to me, bearing in mind that I'm someone from the middle class, in a third world country, yet can still buy the OS.

Even if you're poor, I've seen poorer people on the streets, with just enough to survive to the next day. My friends have to use student loans and such to get a computer for their work and they use pirated software. At least they have the dignity to say that because of the high price, they can't afford it. Yet people pirate software just to get back at Microsoft? Here is another post I made in this thread when someone commented why should I be honest to Microsoft even when they haven't be honest with me:

It doesn't matter if they're not honest with me. What does matter is how you conduct yourself to others. Maybe they have made a lot of things that annoy me, in which case there are quite a few good reasons for it. But then you have to take into consideration that there are many things that effect the price point of Windows Vista. The rising prices of fuel for one thing which affects electricity charges. Or how the economy has fared considering the Iraq War and the uncertainty in the Middle East.

They have special teams that take into consideration the price of the software and how they can recuperate their losses. You say the government should help take their losses but that is what your government should be doing. The Malaysian government supports Malaysia Airlines, Proton and Petronas and look how far they have gone. In a way, it is your governments fault that it has come to this. They should have monitored and possibly put a ceiling price for every software they sold, just like how the Malaysian government conduct these corporations.

In a way, it's sad that it has come to this, but I rather be honest in what I do. Some may think otherwise but those are the people who wish to have a high lifestyle but knowing they can't afford for it, steal to make it happen.

I understand your arguments and support them if it means changes for the better. I can also understand that since we have no choice other than Windows, that is all we get. So it must be your duty to ensure that your government does something to make sure that it is a win-win situation for both of us. Until then, we all have to follow the rules and the rules say that piracy is wrong, and so abide by those rules.

Scirwode

I think I state my opinion clearly, though this an opinion and not a fact. I honestly feel that Microsoft should have been disbanded in 1999 when they were in court due to the Netscape browser wars. Maybe then, it would have been different with us but since that is the past, we can only speculate about it. Here is a post which said that I may be harsh against people who pirate software:

I understand what you mean, in a way there is not much of a good reason for me to go for original considering the prices and such. A few of my friends use pirated software simply because they focus on their life and such. Using student loans and such is the only way for them to move on so I can relate to that. What I mean is that there are people out there who can afford gaming consoles, change their wardrobes every week and such, yet they use pirated software. I shake my head at these people, considering that every day I see people who have just enough to survive to the next day.

I have a cousin who has just bought a new computer. His previous one has survived for seven years so to have a new computer was something exciting for him. It was just an AMD Sempron processor with 512MB of RAM but he was proud of it. But he couldn't afford an original version of Windows but told me that when he has the money, he will get one. I advised him to wait until Windows Vista and he agreed. I sympathise with my friends too and there are many who could not afford it. I do my best to make sure that at least the go legitimate in some ways by using Avast and such.

I wish that there was another way to eradicate this, Daybreak, because I'm tired of seeing people who have all the luxury in the world at their fingertips but yet do this. In a way because of this, Microsoft charges a high price for this. It's sad that it has come to this.

Scirwode

Piracy is not going to help lower the prices of the OS. It must be a combined effort from the consumers and the government involve to help ensure that we can at least benefit something from it. The EU, though their methods a bit extreme, is in a way on the correct path. Microsoft is a monopoly and as we all know a monopoly is not good for the consumers.

I just hope that something can be done before it is too late. I also hope that you understand what I'm trying to convey to you as I think this thread has gone downhill from too many biased comments. I apologise if you think this post is too long or that I may have offended some people here but I believe I needed to say my piece before it spirals even more out of control.

Scirwode

Wow, 18 pages of bull**** politics and accusations.

If you want it pay for it, do so. There is no excuse for being a little ****ant who bitches and moans about profits, and the like.. You can't afford it when it comes out, wait. You want to bitch about pricing and profit? why, you'll probably to cheap to save for it, so you'll probably steal it anyway....

Just my opinion.

*no persons were actually accused of piracy, but some of you use illegitimate, invalid, non-microsoft packaged reproductions of software without a product key that is activated, that still equals theft, and that still makes you an a-hole for defending pirates in my books*

I stated here that you're willing to pay extremely high prices for an exotic item, such as the PS3, Xbox 360, high end graphic cards but for something essential to run a computer, you're not willing to pay the price, even if it's a high price to pay?

The thing to remember is just how easy it is to pirate software. I can hardly download a new graphics card or HDTV. Obviously stuff like that, people pay for. But when it’s a matter of downloading a programme and going on a site, click download and wait till it’s done, which the only thing spent was time, its obvious which route people will go.

People can claim pirating vista is justified because of xyz, but in reality, I bet it’s done because it’s easy. I’m not sure many people will download Vista thinking they got one up on Microsoft; they will illegally obtain it because they can.

The thing to remember is just how easy it is to pirate software. I can hardly download a new graphics card or HDTV. Obviously stuff like that, people pay for. but when its a matter of downloading a programme and going on a site, click download and wait till its done, which the only thing spent was time, its obvious which route people will go.

People can claim pirating vista is justified because of xyz, but in reality, I bet its done because its easy. Im not sure many people will download Vista thinking they got one up on Microsoft, they will illegaly obtain it because they can.

That's what makes it so sad.

Scirwode

Uhhhhhhh lets see lets ask walmart if selling things at half the price of everyone else works or not.

quoted for being one of the most intelligent posts in this thread

i find it quite amusing how you people defend a corporation that couldnt give 2 sh!ts about you or if you buy their product and then write whole novels everytime you post defending them. i seriously think it took 2 hours to get through this thread

Wow, 18 pages of bull**** politics and accusations.

If you want it pay for it, do so. There is no excuse for being a little ****ant who bitches and moans about profits, and the like.. You can't afford it when it comes out, wait. You want to bitch about pricing and profit? why, you'll probably to cheap to save for it, so you'll probably steal it anyway....

Just my opinion.

*no persons were actually accused of piracy, but some of you use illegitimate, invalid, non-microsoft packaged reproductions of software without a product key that is activated, that still equals theft, and that still makes you an a-hole for defending pirates in my books*

:rolleyes: