Windows Update Problems

This is the second time I've noticed this happening, everytime I go to Windows Update, for example if I download 3 driver updates or critical updates, etc. Windows Update will do 1 of the following.

1. Download all 3 updates and it will never install.

2. The download would freeze somewhere in the middle of the download process

I do not have Service Pack 1 Installed, because it has made my system before very slow. I doubt that Service Pack 1 has anything to do with that. There is another thing though, everytime i run windows update, new folders are created on my 'C' driver with weird folder names like "4e8ba5b" which contains several files including Windows 2000 Service Pack executable file. What is all this jiberish?! :angry:

The "4e8ba5b" are the temp folders for the Windows Update patches, you really should put on XP SP1 cuz it will make your PC alot more stable ....

Radish.

Thanks a lot... I'd rather have SP1 than to not be able to update my critical updates. ;)

Hehe ;) ....

Radish.

Windows Update - Issues

One of these might solve your problem .... :

Option 1 :

Click Start, Run and enter SERVICES.MSC Go to Cryptographic Services and double click it. It should be set to Automatic and should be Started. If you were required to change this, try the Windows Update site again.

Option 2 :

Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate

If the key WindowsUpdate does not exist, create it by right clicking on the Policies sub-key and selecting New, Key and giving the new key the name WindowsUpdate.

Within this key, you may see one or both of the following DWORD entries:

NoWindowsUpdate and/or DisableWindowsUpdateAccess

If either of these entries appear, change their values to zero by double clicking on them and setting the value to 0 (zero). If they do not appear, add them as DWORD entries with their values at zero. To create a new value, right click in the right pane and select New, DWord value and name it as indicated.

Next, go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

you may see the entry NoWindowsUpdate. If it exists, it may be set to 1. To change this, double click the NoWindowsUpdate value and set it to 0 (zero). If it does not exist, right click in the right pane and select New, DWord value. Give it the name NoWindowsUpdate and leave the value at 0.

Next, go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \WindowsUpdate

Right-click on the WindowsUpdate folder, click on Permissions. Give Admin (and/or System) Full Control and Read permissions by checking the allow boxes. Close Regedit and reboot. Try the Windows Update site again.

Good Luck

Thanks a lot people... i upgraded to SP1 and I STILL had problems with the downloads... but this time i waited... It starts download. EX: NVidia driver= 4.6 MB...... download started and stoped at 2.6MB............ I waited..........waited........... then about 20 minutes later the download was still at 2.6 but the blue bar was at the end.......... wait some more......... then BAM!!....... error message......... i downloaded it agian, THEN IT WORKS. and i Restart my computer.

I'll try Kosh Naranek idea.