How fast is vista in your pc

Fast for me too!!...

I am using RC1!..but its fast!..

P4 core duo 2.6 ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hdd, 256mb 7300 le nvidia graphics card (pcie)

compared to xp, upgrading to vista is a worth!

on my p4 3200 2 gigs ram, radeon 9800PRO256 runs fast,

on my laptop p4 2000 768 ram radeon 7500, unusable, even disabling a lot of services

on my athlon x2 4400 7900 GTX i still prefer XP or 2003 since its way lighter than vista for gaming

Edited by KaaR

Everyones sense of speed is fast, so we don't know how fast is fast.

Invision Power Board v2.1.7 ? 2006 IPS, Inc.

All trademarks mentioned on this page are the property of their respective owners.

Design v3.9s (Swift) ? 2000-2006 Neowin.net Credits | Privacy statement

Neowin accepts no responsibility for hot coffee spillages or 'wardrobe malfunctions'

Well, considering that my XP install is only 4 months old, but is extremely complicated, uninstalling/reinstalling/corruptions, Vista seems to be about twice as fast for me. In XP it would take up to 10 seconds to load the Device Manager, in Vista it only takes a few.

P4 3Ghz

1GB RAM

9800 Pro

I disabled a few services I don't need and cut my RAM usage to around 300MB on bootup (close enough to XP if you factor in all the eye candy Vista has). Overall it seems faster than XP, everything opens instantly, and multitasking is much better - ie when I'm running something like winrar or 7zip my system doesn't slow to a crawl.

ok. will all non-ms employees answer from this post onward? :rolleyes:

i have

P43.0 HT

512MB <<<

ATI 128 X300 SE

so will upgrading to one gig really boost up speed for vista?

AMD Barton 2500+

1GB RAM

ATI Radeon 9700 (128MB)

Mine is super fast. I can't remember if it's faster than build 5744 but it's at least the same speed. I actually have to eat my words because I argued with someone months ago that it'd be possible for Vista to be faster or even as fast as XP on the same machine. For me it's definitely faster..and no it's not psychological. It's faster.

I'd definitely recommend upgrading to 1GB. Everyone says Vista needs a lot more RAM than XP. If you watched Jim Allchins interview on channel 9, he said that XP would be faster than Vista until you had 1GB or more of RAM. At that point he said Vista should be faster. A lot of people are saying 2GB would be the "sweet spot" just like 1GB is for windows XP so that just goes to show that 512MB probably isn't enough. I just ordered more RAM and will be upgrading to 1.5GB but like I said, my 1GB machine runs really smoooth :)

Faster than XP on my home machine (Vista *loves* this thing, especially the 7800GTX heh). At work it's about the same - a slight bit of choppiness in Flip3D as it's held back by my limited video memory spanning 3 high-res monitors. Laptop is about the same too, although RTM with the latest Nvidia drivers (don't think they're public yet) has really made a difference on that thing.

Runs surprisingly well here.

1.7GHz Celeron M

ATI Xpress 200M

1GB DDR (unknown speed)

60GB SATA HDD

But! My Flurry screensaver is really boggy. I installed the ATI drivers, didn't help. Haven't even tried games yet.

slowest thing ever :crazy: I have never been able to run any vista build on my pc

P4 3.2 GHz

2 GB DDR2 RAM

Radeon X1600 Pro

Runs great here, although games are screwed up but that's obviously nVidia's current drivers; besides, I don't really play games on my PC anymore anyway. I wouldn't say it's either faster or slower than XP to be honest.

Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2GHz

2GB DDR2

GeForce 7800 GTX

Various other bits nobody really cares about

Laptop:

1.6ghz Celeron M

1.5GB DDR2 ram

128MB Shared Graphics

80GB SATA HDD

Runs pretty fast, not as responsive as XP though. Can play the games, completed solitaire WOW thats an amazing finish.

ok. will all non-ms employees answer from this post onward? :rolleyes:

Well, I'm not an MS employee, so... yeah... :D

slowest thing ever :crazy: I have never been able to run any vista build on my pc

P4 3.2 GHz

2 GB DDR2 RAM

Radeon X1600 Pro

I know that I have another friend who has problems with XP, Vista, and even ubuntu and it all stems from his x1600 Pro. For some reason no matter which version of Catalyst, Vista, or linux versions he uses it always sucks. Every one of the OSes does better on his old FX5700, and from what I can find online the x1600 doesn't have many really good customer reviews, so that might be a contributing factor.

I know that I have another friend who has problems with XP, Vista, and even ubuntu and it all stems from his x1600 Pro. For some reason no matter which version of Catalyst, Vista, or linux versions he uses it always sucks. Every one of the OSes does better on his old FX5700, and from what I can find online the x1600 doesn't have many really good customer reviews, so that might be a contributing factor.

The video card runs great on XP, I'm don't think is the video card, well I'm not sure.

Check this thread, I write about my problem with Vista there https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...=502209&hl=

Boot: Slower, faster in xp

Startup:Slower, faster in xp

Normal:OK, faster in xp

Shutdown/Restart: Slower

Responsiveness:Good: same as in xp

but it seems like it gives 100% Cpu to the window thats opening, so it slows down everything else till the window its loaded,my xp version is tweaked with a lot of things also, but vista got good expectatives, its goes well now after bugfixes, new tweaks appears etc, it will be pretty good

My Spec

HP NC6000 Laptop:

Pentium M 1.7GHz

1GB RAM

60GB 7200RPM HDD

Mobility Radeon 9600

Vista Build: 6000.16386.061101-2205

Speed-wise is acceptable, though my Vista Rating is only 2.0

Aero works on this configuration.

However, Vista don't have drivers for my Atheros 5001X+ Mini-PCI Wireless

Any one knows where I can find this driver?

Quite fast here, 4.2 rating...

3.2Ghz P4 HT-Disabled

1.5Gb DDR2

256Mb Nvidia 6800GS

Maby a little slower then XP, but thats probably due to the new codebase... And the fact that the system was probably developed for dualcore CPU's

The X1600XT is a superb gpu for the money, the reviews were actually 5/5 of course vendors count. So way to go Sapphire.

Well all I know is that my friend's Sapphire x1600 Pro isn't very good in any of the OSes with any drivers. And yes, that is the exact model of the card. So from a personal experience account, I believe that instead of the reviews.

Quite fast here, 4.2 rating...

3.2Ghz P4 HT-Disabled

1.5Gb DDR2

256Mb Nvidia 6800GS

Maby a little slower then XP, but thats probably due to the new codebase... And the fact that the system was probably developed for dualcore CPU's

I'd say try it with HT on and see if it works better. But that's just me, I mean Vista is supposed to have better support for multi-core/multi-thread systems now. :D