[Review] Wii First Impressions

Well today i was at a local Gamestop and they had a playable Wii so i had a go with my mate and we had at it!

As soon as i walked through the door i saw the small white gem with its ice blue light glowing around it like it came from heaven. Their were two guys playing it before i could with my mate so i observed and took mental notes.

Size: The Wii is very small, it looks to be the size of a PC video game box. It is very compact and will be relatively easy to find a stop for it around your TV. It is very solid looking, and looks to match a Nintendo DS lite in color. The White Shell/Blue light flow very well together.

Controller/sensor: The controller also has a "natural" flow going for it. It seems to sit effortlessly in your hand while you hold it vertically. The buttons are very easy to reach and press, though some are quite small and may be hard to push if you have very big hands. The sensor is pretty long and thin. It is about a thin as a SLVR phone and looks very discreet under the Samsung TV it was placed under. The controller and sensor work together very well but i noticed the father away you are the better. I will go into more detail in the next paragraph.

Playing the Wii: When i first got the Wiimote in my hand and started a game, it was a bit of a trick to get used to steering my truck in Excite Truck. You hold the controller horizontally and you tilt it to move your truck left or right while holding the 2 button to accelerate. If you tap the D pad, you get a burst of speed. It took me a good 5 minutes or so to get used to the Wiimote. I was roughly 3 ft away from it and i noticed the farther back you go, the mote accurately the sensor picks up. Which made it very easy to steer the truck i was haulin' ass in. The only problem i encountered was that the car would only turn to a certain degree no matter how far you tilt the wiimote. This caused problems with really sharp cornering but i soon found the trick to it.

Graphics: The Wii graphics look great for what Wii is. They look a little "cartoony" but good none the less. There is no real distortion that i have noticed, and everything seems to fade in great as you tear down the track in Excite Trucks. The graphics did look alot like gamecube but had it own "Wii Feel" to it. The menu's loaded quick and the games average load time was roughly 15 seconds or so, i wasnt really paying attention.

Overall i think i may find myself going back to play again and once i square myself a better paying job i will be going back with $250 in my pocket and leaving with a white box. It was a very fun experience and i look forward to playing the Wii again with different games. The people who purchase the Wii on the 19th will be very pleased.

First review, thank you for reading.

Media(apologize for quality, taken with a SLVR) : http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i163/Devistation_v2/Wii/

Edited by Devistation

ugh.. yeah, iv been sick the last couple days, breathing like a walrus as i type, and i took nyquil a little before i wrote this...

played a ps3 too, but was too tired to include it in this review.. ill make a ps3 review after i get back from school.

Playing the Wii: When i first got the Wiimote in my hand and started a game, it was a bit of a trick to get used to steering my truck in Excite Truck. You hold the controller horizontally and you tilt it to move your truck left or right while holding the 2 button to accelerate. If you tap the D pad, you get a burst of speed. It took me a good 5 minutes or so to get used to the Wiimote. I was roughly 3 ft away from it and i noticed the farther back you go, the mote accurately the sensor picks up.

Interesting, because Excite Truck doesn't use the sensor bar. It only uses the accelerometer.

I've seen prettier beige floppy drives.

I've seen better points made in a post. What's yours?

ugh.. yeah, iv been sick the last couple days, breathing like a walrus as i type, and i took nyquil a little before i wrote this...

played a ps3 too, but was too tired to include it in this review.. ill make a ps3 review after i get back from school.

Hope you feel better mate. The weather is terrible lately. :cry:

Hope you feel better mate. The weather is terrible lately. :cry:

Thanks bro, yeah i always get ill this time of year making the change from fall into winter.. time to take some more medicine with tea. :thumbsup:

I played Excite Truck at my local GameStop and it was amazing. My friend had some trouble adjusting to the Wii Remote though. After playing the Wii, I'd like to have one for myself. I'm thinking about going back to play again.

A few side notes -- they required that we give them our driver's licenses to hold while we were playing. We were given a 10 minute time limit and we had to wear the wrist strap while playing.

I played Excite Truck at my local GameStop and it was amazing. My friend had some trouble adjusting to the Wii Remote though. After playing the Wii, I'd like to have one for myself. I'm thinking about going back to play again.

A few side notes -- they required that we give them our driver's licenses to hold while we were playing. We were given a 10 minute time limit and we had to wear the wrist strap while playing.

ah yes, i had to give them my drivers license too, no time limit playing though, and i didnt wear wrist strap. but fun :D

Collateral for the controller...more than likely. That's my guess.

Winner!!!

The controller is not attached to anything, you can easily walk away with it. So they take your drivers license!