• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Application failed to initialize (0xc0000034)"

whatsinaname    0

Hello there, as you can see I'm entirely new here so I wasn't sure where to post this, so please excuse me if this is the wrong forum.

Anyway, my problem is that Neverwinter Nights 2 will not work on my computer, and the error message I get is "Application failed to initialize (0xc0000034)" any advice on what I could do? I've tried downloading the newest NVIDIA drivers(I have a Geforce 2 Ultra) but that won't even start installing for some reason.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

tulleh    0

You've tried reinstalling? Have you been able to play it before?

whatsinaname    0

Nope, it hasn't worked, only got it on friday.

Yeah, I've tried reinstalling, but no luck.

I've been able to get rid of that error message, although I'm now getting a different one. I had to uninstall .net framework 2 beta and install the newest one...

Now I get "could not find any compatible direct3d devices"...

Slimy    13

Have you checked the specs needed for Neverwinter Nights 2? Chances are your graphic card is not up-to par :/

<snipped>

Fred Derf    214

[Thread Moved from SD&A to PC Gamer]

[Thread Title Edited]

nekrosoft13    654

these type of errors

"Application failed to initialize (0xc0000034)"

almost everysingle time result in corrupt or missing framework or dll files of some sort

could be visual c, visual c+ or even .net framework, not sure if NWN2 actually uses .net.

thats your starting line, happy googling.

btw last week i had

"Application failed to initialize (0xc0000008)" on my laptop it was caused by corrupt Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

deridex01    0

NWN2 uses .net as you have to install it along with the game.

whatsinaname    0

cheers for the help guys, I don't get the 0xc0000034 error anymore since I reinstalled .NET framework 2.

Instead, it tells me that it "could not find any compatible direct3d devices"

Fred Derf    214

cheers for the help guys, I don't get the 0xc0000034 error anymore since I reinstalled .NET framework 2.

Instead, it tells me that it "could not find any compatible direct3d devices"

Now that you've upgraded .NET, it's time to upgrade your video drivers.

Edit:

You said that in your first post. Is your GeForce 2 Ultra good enough? Perhaps the game requires a DirectX9 compatible video card.

whatsinaname    0

ah no, surely it doesn't? I've tried downloading and installing directX 9.0 and direct3d from the microsoft wesitebut it still doesn't work.

Well I'll check it out... thanks for the tip. Let's just hope that it's not the case and I'm just incompetent :p.

Cheers!

Fred Derf    214

ah no, surely it doesn't? I've tried downloading and installing directX 9.0 and direct3d from the microsoft wesitebut it still doesn't work.

Well I'll check it out... thanks for the tip. Let's just hope that it's not the case and I'm just incompetent :p.

Cheers!

It may not be enough to install DirectX 9 on your computer. Your video card may not be designed to fully implement Direct9 commands.

whatsinaname    0

hehe yeah I got that bit ;)

I just hadn't even taken into consideration that my graphics card might not be compatible with it. Well, apparently it isn't and according to something I found on another forum DirectX 9 <i>is</i> a requirement. Bollocks.

What a waste of time and money, although I might just consider getting a new gfx card anyway.

Oh well...

haha and thanks for your help

Ah! I did just find it, and I was about to give up. Just needed to find a very specific set of drivers as the newer ones didnt support my gfx card. Got DirectX 9 though so I'm quite sure it'll work.

Wilhelmus    12

NWN 2 Technical Support (Self-Help) - System Requirements FAQ:

Supported Video Card Chipsets:

ATI X1950 series

ATI X1900 series

ATI X1800 series

ATI X1600 series

ATI X850 series

ATI x800 series

ATI x700 series

ATI x600 series

ATI Radeon 9800 series

ATI Radeon 9700 series

ATI Radeon 9600 series

ATI Radeon 9500 Pro

NVIDIA GeForce 7950 series

NVIDIA GeForce 7900 series

NVIDIA GeForce 7800 series

NVIDIA GeForce 7600 series

NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series

NVIDIA GeForce 6600 series

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 or above

ccmfreak2    0

Hey! I signed up for Neowin Forums strictly to reply to this thread! This same problem has bothered me for hours! After much searching the net for hours, I found a solution. It was a guest post on PCReview.co.uk that read:

"I found that the Gdiplus.dll file was 'Not Found' at the end of the folder

path:

C:\Windows\WinSxs\x86_Microsoft.Windows.Gdiplus_65 95b64144ccfldf_1.0.2600.2180_x-ww_522f9f82\ . So I located a recent version of this file on my hard drive and copied it to the end of the folder string.

BINGO! All 6 of my problem video editing programs, including Windows Media

Player 10, are now working. Microsoft owes me 85 hours of my time."

After reading this, I followed the path and found that the end folder on my machine had nothing in it. I found a working machine without the 0xc0000034 error message, followed the same path, and found that there was in, in fact a Gdiplus.dll file in the same folder on a working machine. I copied the Gdiplus.dll file onto a jump stick, and simply put the driver onto my machine in the same folder, and - even without a restart - all the apps started working the way they are suppose to! Success!

Note: there are several x86_Microsoft.Windows.Gdiplus folders within the WinSxs folder - make sure you select the one with the exact title as listed above.