Change MTU settings Help!

Can anyone please please help me.

On my XP machine i had to change the MTU settings to 1400 using Dr TCP before i could access everything.

Ive learnt that this is not possible with Vista!!! What am i supposed to do. There are loads of websites i cant access like hotmail for example.

Ive changed the MTU on the Belkin Router but vista seems to force the MTU to 1478

Please help.

open a command prompt and type

>netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Local Area Connection" mtu=WHATEVER store=persistent

obviously entering a number for mtu. In your case mtu=1400

also if you've renamed your NIC from default then use that name between the inverted commas as opposed to Local Area Connection.

oh and you probably need to reboot afterward.

open a command prompt and type

>netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Local Area Connection" mtu=WHATEVER store=persistent

obviously entering a number for mtu. In your case mtu=1400

also if you've renamed your NIC from default then use that name between the inverted commas as opposed to Local Area Connection.

oh and you probably need to reboot afterward.

Thankyou so much for your speedy reply!

Sadly it doesnt work :( using http://www.speedguide.net/analyzer.php it still says MTU = 1478

Thankyou so much for your speedy reply!

Sadly it doesnt work :( using http://www.speedguide.net/analyzer.php it still says MTU = 1478

I just changed mine again and went to to site you posted and it definately works

Can you type exactly what you entered in the command prompt for me to have a look at....

PS typing

netsh interface ipv4 show subinterfaces

will tell you what your NICs are currently set to.

4c9297p.jpg

Edited by MistaJista

I just changed mine again and went to to site you posted and it definately works

Can you type exactly what you entered in the command prompt for me to have a look at....

PS typing

netsh interface ipv4 show subinterfaces

will tell you what your NICs are currently set to.

To say you're a genius is an understatement!!

When you open the command prompt from the accessories menu you must right click and chose "run as administrator" otherwise it wont apply.

THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU all sites are now working :) THANKYOU!