• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

[Official] Final Fantasy III DS Thread

rayjin    1

I'm at 14 hrs into the game and I'm stuck at the Caves of Tides boss... I keep getting whacked and all of my characters have about 600HP.. what am i doing wrong?

Hooya    0

I think they get unlocked as you get the power of each crystals.

btw Im just wondering where everyone is in the game. I just finished Goldor or whatever guy that lives in the gold mansion. Now I have no idea where to go. Any hints?

Before you do this save your game because it'll be a while before you can fly again once you do this.

Fly to the western continent and look for a giant city, you'll know what I mean when you see it. Fly towards the castle and your ship will crash. There begins the next part of your adventure.

You will want at least one decent Dragoon in your party for the next part. You can find good equipment for four Dragoons throughout the cities you find here.

sanghoku    0

noooooooooooooo!!! disaster disaster!! was playing ff3 (like most nights lately ;) ) and the thing crashed on me... turned off nds, switched it back on and... savegame lost!!! does anyone have one somewhere around 15hrs? i just went to the old man on the windy continent with my new superduper airship (the one you get from the king or prince or something) and there the crash happened :'(

pls someone help me!! :'(

Shadrack    601

Started playing the game yesterday. Like all RPGs, it took me about an hour and a half of getting my teeth pulled before i really got into the game.

Gameplay is fun. It is about as old school as you can get. I wish this game would have made it to the US when I was younger. I would have loved this game. I was really into NES RPG's like Dragon Warrior series and Ultima 4... later SNES w/ FF2 and FF3 (6..or whatever it really was.).

Graphics are ok... I think they could have done better with sprite graphics then with 3d on the DS. The only games that really work in 3d, in my opinion, are the ones with very simple and crisp 3d (NSMB, Mario 64..etc.) Games that try to push the 3d to the limit tend to have a grainy look to them. I think that it is the textures that are to blame. Whenever you are in the dungeon the game looks good, but when it zooms around in a battle textures look grainy and models look horribly aliased. Sprite games are the best on the DS IMO (Kirby, Yoshi Island 2, Castlevania). They should have done sprites instead.

So far the only things I don't like about the game:

* Inability to save indoors (dungeons specifically). Is this really necessary? I think this alone is what makes the game so dang hard. There should at least mid-way spots where you can save.

* Too many "secret" buttons in dungeons. There are 15 skulls in a dungeon. 14 of those 15 are basic background graphics. 1 of those 15 is a button you have to press ("A") that opens up the secret pathway so you can complete that part of the story. They could have made that 1 stick out a little more. Too much time is spent trying literally everything you can think of. And that time is waisted if you are in the wrong spot anyway. Well..Gamefaqs is your friend.

* Inefficient use of dual screens. The dual screens is basically only utilized during cut scenes. Besides that, pretty gang useless. It would be nice to have a mini map of the town or dungeon you are in.

I think all of the game features that I don't like were due to Square's commitment to staying consistent with the original. All I can say is "come on." Plenty of games deviate a little on remake to appeal to todays gaming crowd. During the NES era it was the norm for games to be impossibly hard to beat (or to know what to do). We didn't have the Internet to look-up what to do next when we were stuck so we just spent hundreds of gaming hours trying everything we could think of. Today it is different.

I'll play through the entire game and try not to read the walk through. But I won't waist more then 30 minutes stuck at a part before I check the walk through.

-shad

Bei337    8

noooooooooooooo!!! disaster disaster!! was playing ff3 (like most nights lately ;) ) and the thing crashed on me... turned off nds, switched it back on and... savegame lost!!! does anyone have one somewhere around 15hrs? i just went to the old man on the windy continent with my new superduper airship (the one you get from the king or prince or something) and there the crash happened :'(

pls someone help me!! :'(

Wow that's too bad. I think I could send you my file, I'm at the Gold mansion thing. Tell me if you want it.

iconoclast    1

I don't understand this whole FFIII thing. Isn't like 7 out for the Wii? ANd is this better than Crystal Chronicles, or has that not been released yet? Is this the only FF for the DS? I am so lost!

KoL    36

I don't understand this whole FFIII thing. Isn't like 7 out for the Wii? ANd is this better than Crystal Chronicles, or has that not been released yet? Is this the only FF for the DS? I am so lost!

FFIII is the only FF game that they didn't release in North America. The original FFIII was for the NES but they made a complete 3D remake instead of porting it like all other FF (FFI, FFII, FFIV, FFV, FFVI)

There are going to be other two FF for DS, Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates

Hooya    0

As of now there is no FF on the Wii. I don't know about any plans for one. FF XII came out for the PS2 last week or so (this is not the same as the FFXII coming out for the DS).

iconoclast    1

ic, ic, thanks for the explanation. Well, considering all the hype around it, I may have to put this on my wish list for x-mas. Is this a good RPG for beginners? I like games that are easy to learn, hard to master (like most Nintendo-made games are). I haven't played a "RPG" since Pokemon Red/Blue, so the whole FF world is new to me.

Hooya    0

:D FF first came out in '87, quite a while before Pokemon.

This is by far not the easiest FF (the earlier ones can be very hard), but it's not hard if you're patient enough to level up a bit every now and then.

Easy to learn, yes. I would say it's hard to master. Don't short change yourself the others recently released on the GBA platform (I and II on the same cart, IV and V are now out. VI just came out in Japan, will see a US release in a month or two I think). VI is my favorite from the pre-PSX generations. I played through that one several times on the SNES when I was in Jr. High. These games might feel a bit dated by some of the modern RPG battle engines, but they set the standard, and it's worth learning the heritage.

Ji@nBing    53
ic, ic, thanks for the explanation. Well, considering all the hype around it, I may have to put this on my wish list for x-mas. Is this a good RPG for beginners? I like games that are easy to learn, hard to master (like most Nintendo-made games are). I haven't played a "RPG" since Pokemon Red/Blue, so the whole FF world is new to me.

This is not an RPG for beginners. It's very unforgiving. There is a part a few hours in where you need to give someone an elixir to move to the next part. It's the only elixir in the game to that point. My bro didn't know this and used it instead of giving it to the guy, so he had to start the whole game over again :p . That said it's still a great game, and if you get into it and finish it, you will be even better at modern RPG's because of it.

Shadrack    601

This is not an RPG for beginners. It's very unforgiving. There is a part a few hours in where you need to give someone an elixir to move to the next part. It's the only elixir in the game to that point. My bro didn't know this and used it instead of giving it to the guy, so he had to start the whole game over again :p . That said it's still a great game, and if you get into it and finish it, you will be even better at modern RPG's because of it.

Thanks for the spoiler! :pinch:

Actually, that is good to know. Anyway, if you have a flash cart then you can backup your saved games. Otherwise, I recommend using all 3 save slots for the game you are playing and just alternate. That way, if anything goes wrong you have 2 other potentially un-corrupt game slots.

@iconoclast:

As for the difficulty. Meh..it isn't really all that hard. There are certainly harder RPGs that came out for the NES (Dragon Warrior being one of them). Part of what makes it easy (at least to where I am at in the game) is that your progression through the story line is tied to a linear progression through different parts of the world. You can't get off this small section of land w/o progressing through that part of the story line (if that makes any sense).

This as oppose to some RPGs where most of the landscape is exposed to you from the beginning and you have to do a lot of dying before you find out what areas you need to avoid until you obtain higher levels. These are difficult games to navigate as you can get stuck on some parts of the story line because you don't know that you are suppose to travel to some city in the far north-west corner and talk to a guy behind a hidden bookshelf (as an example).

The main "trick" is if a dungeon kicks your butt then you just need to hang around the entrance of the dungeon or even the wilderness near the dungeon and kill monsters until all your characters are 5-10 levels higher. Then you can stomp that dungeon w/o a problem.

One thing that really disappoints me about this game is the number of hidden buttons. I find myself walking along a lot of walls pressing "A" in the hopes of revealing the path I've been searching for. This is a common problem with a lot of old NES games. There are a lot of moments where you say "now how the hell was I suppose to figure that out w/o literally trying everything" (see Castlevania 2 as being the worst example of this NES developer problem).

Will you like the game? Well, if you enjoyed pokemon then you will probably enjoy this one as the gameplay is very much the same. You are confronted w/ a battle, and when the battle is over you anxiously await to see how much XP your characters receive and what items are dropped.

If you've never played an RPG before or don't generally like RPGs then this game is probably not for you. Go with Yoshi Island [2] DS or Mario vs DK 2 or something else. Lots of titles to chose from for the DS.

-shad

iconoclast    1

Well thanks everyone for the feedback. I think I'll try to find a friend who will let me borrow a version or wait and get a copy as a trade in. Until then, Mario vs DK 2 is fun. The minigames suck, but the puzzles are fun for a bit, but that's another thread :p

+Fulcrum    202

It's pretty good quality from Square, but I reallly enjoyed the Golden Sun: Lost Age - GBA title, in some respects it was better than FF3 DS. Square could have put more effects into the combat sequences; in Golden Sun there was no shortage of this, every weapon had an Avatar and every attack was aethetically rewarding.

In FF3 you have to cast a summon spell and then you see an avatar, or cast a magic spell to see some effects but overall... it's not all that great.

The other point is the puzzles... FF3 doesn't have any. It's more linear than time. Try Golden Sun and you're bound to need a walkthrough.

Difficulty of FF3 balances out with the dungeons and boss battles.

And the touchscreen is rather useless when you can't go back on your choices during combat.

Finally, Square was too lazy to make good use of both screens, most of the time It feels like i'm playing a GBA cartridge (i.e the GBA games on DS play on only 1 screen) on my Dual Screen. Maybe a Map of the dungeon or town, or just portraits of my team, statistics, anything better than the black screen.

Shadrack    601

It's pretty good quality from Square, but I reallly enjoyed the Golden Sun: Lost Age - GBA title, in some respects it was better than FF3 DS. Square could have put more effects into the combat sequences; in Golden Sun there was no shortage of this, every weapon had an Avatar and every attack was aethetically rewarding.

In FF3 you have to cast a summon spell and then you see an avatar, or cast a magic spell to see some effects but overall... it's not all that great.

The other point is the puzzles... FF3 doesn't have any. It's more linear than time. Try Golden Sun and you're bound to need a walkthrough.

Difficulty of FF3 balances out with the dungeons and boss battles.

And the touchscreen is rather useless when you can't go back on your choices during combat.

Finally, Square was too lazy to make good use of both screens, most of the time It feels like i'm playing a GBA cartridge (i.e the GBA games on DS play on only 1 screen) on my Dual Screen. Maybe a Map of the dungeon or town, or just portraits of my team, statistics, anything better than the black screen.

100% agreed. I was expecting to see equipment changes effecting graphics. All the moves look the same while you are casting it. Blue ring circles around the caster and then something happens.

No puzzles, just battles and tedious hidden buttons in dungeons.

I think you can go back on choices in battles using the touchscreen. Try tapping a previous character and it should back you up to that persons move so you can re-decide what you want to do with them. I personally don't care for the touchscreen control, but it is nice that it is there. Maybe if you get good with it it is faster then w/ the buttons...i dunno.

I think everyone is disappointed in the lack of dual screen support in this title :| . Square's official response to this criticism was along the lines of using both screens would sacrifice the visual quality of the game. Frankly, I don't think the visual quality of the game is very good. All the textures look horribly grainy and the 3d is just unnecessary. It would have looked better with sprite graphics IMHO.

No one is buying DS games for the graphics. If they wanted high-end graphics on the go they would have went with the PSP.

Anyway, I'm still enjoying the game and suspect I'll play all the way through.

-shad

Bei337    8

I have to say that I like the 3D graphics very much, and I wouldn't enjoy the sprite nearly as much. Everybody has different tastes.

I personally think SE could do better, but I'm satisfied with wat they have to offer :)

Can't wait for Zelda!

Kushan    28

Just thought I'd throw in my friend code

Shadrack    601

I have to say that I like the 3D graphics very much, and I wouldn't enjoy the sprite nearly as much. Everybody has different tastes.

I personally think SE could do better, but I'm satisfied with wat they have to offer :)

Everyone does have their own tastes. Just to advance the discussion further:

What do you like about the 3d that you wouldn't like about sprites?

I've been trying to figure out what exactly I don't like about the 3d in FF3. Especially considering I love the 3d in NSMB and Mario 64. I think it comes down to the texturing or the over-texturing in this case w/ FF3. The character models look really good because the textures were kept very simple, but the surrounding areas have grainy looking textures that are just overly complicated. It looks like they had a great texture to begin with and then they downsampled it to fit into the resolution and performance of the DS.

Can't wait for Zelda!

Amen to that. When is the release date because I thought it would have been out by now.

Hooya    0

first quarter next year. I don't think there's an official release date exactly.

moloko    186

Just bought it yesterday and played it for 2 hours, enough time to get the job classes open. I just jumped in and did not read the instructions and after dieing one round I had to read up on how to save. LOL. I like the graphics. nice change from sprites. I will play more tonight. what does the friends code do? Allow to fight each other or share goods?

Hooya    0

Just bought it yesterday and played it for 2 hours, enough time to get the job classes open. I just jumped in and did not read the instructions and after dieing one round I had to read up on how to save. LOL. I like the graphics. nice change from sprites. I will play more tonight. what does the friends code do? Allow to fight each other or share goods?

read the instruction manual. it'll tell you all about friends codes.

moloko    186

I am about 6 hours into it. I am at the base of the tower. I got my ass kicked the first time going in there. I will grind a few levels before going in again. I think I like the 3d better than the sprites now.

I am using a Warrior, Red Mage, Black Mage, and Monk right now.

bob_loblaw    3

That item duplication trick made it alot easier. But I kinda wished I never knew about it 'cause it's making the game kinda too easy.

Hooya    0

I think there's an item duplication trick in almost every FF. I know that I used one in FF6 (on the console when it was 3) and in FF4 (2 in the US). It's almost always done the same general way too.

I wonder if it's a bug they never bothered fixing, or if they intentionally leave it in for those of us that know about it.

Reminds me of the old days when there was a Konami code...

moloko    186

Kind of like cheating isn't it. If it makes the game to easy then don't use it. LOL. I just beat the Gutso the second time. I am not moving to the village on the far east of the floating continent. 7 hours into the game.

Since I just unlocked the second tier of jobs I think I will keep the monk and black mage but get rid of thief for a geomancer now. I love the thief stealing all the potions though. Hmm..