[MLB] It's official: Frank Thomas a BlueJay

It's official: Thomas a Jay

Nov. 17, 2006. 10:41 AM

THESTAR.COM STAFF

The Blue Jays have made it official, signing designated hitter Frank Thomas to a two-year, $18 million contract (U.S.), the team announced Friday morning.

The contract includes a $10 million option for a third season.

The 17-year veteran played last season with the Oakland Athletics, and was selected by the Major League Baseball Players Association as Comeback Player of the Year. Thomas, 38, hit .270 with 39 home runs and 114 RBIs, after spending most of the previous two seasons out with an ankle injury.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...id=968332188492

Hopefully it'll help, the Jays are terrible when it comes to the second half of the season, they always have a good start with a chance of making the playoffs and then around mid point they just stop winning.

This is too big of a risk for me to congratulate them on. First of all, he has knee issues which could cause a lot of problems over a two year span. Secondly, he can't run and can barely jog. He's a hindrance to any kind of base running game when he's on.

This is too big of a risk for me to congratulate them on. First of all, he has knee issues which could cause a lot of problems over a two year span. Secondly, he can't run and can barely jog. He's a hindrance to any kind of base running game when he's on.

The Jays (under Ricciardi) make no attempt to run the bases. It's all about OBP.

The only MLB game I have ever seen was a Blue Jays game (was visiting relatives in Canada). They lost 2-0.

Then the next night they won something like 11-9. Boy was I ****ed.

The Jays (under Ricciardi) make no attempt to run the bases. It's all about OBP.

They showed signs of flexing on the money ball theory this past season.

This reminds me of when they signed Dave Winfield in 1992. I know the Jays are coveting other SP's but I wish they'd go after Barry Zito. With a 1-2-3 punch of Halladay, Zito, and Burnett I'd be surprised if they didn't make the playoffs.

This reminds me of when they signed Dave Winfield in 1992. I know the Jays are coveting other SP's but I wish they'd go after Barry Zito. With a 1-2-3 punch of Halladay, Zito, and Burnett I'd be surprised if they didn't make the playoffs.

In the AL East, it's simply not that easy. The central and west are both strong divisions so there's no guarantee a Wild Card will come out of the east. With the Yanks and the Sox capable of spending more money, the Jays have a tough road ahead of them.

As for Zito, while I like his stuff, he's questionable, at times.