• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Which Vista Edition is Right for Me? (Basic/Premium/Business/Ultimate)

riojin    0

Why not just go to NewEgg & buy XP MCE 2005 for $110 & get the voucher for a FREE upgrade to Home Premium?

if you looked into this youd find that the voucher version on newegg for this only allows upgrades to vista if the oem xp mce was installed on a brandnew machine from a manufacturer (dell, hp, etc). if you read the comments there are plenty of people saying that they wasted their money because they cant use their vouchers

Novawin    0

Windows Vista Ultimate all the way for me! ;) (Y)

I am avid gamer but has more passion towards the web application development so I need to have IIS 7.0 enabled for my localhost since Home Premium does not include this feature so Ultimate is only one choice for me then.

iBeech    0

Vista is ok for people who have lots of money, upgrade vouchers or MSDN from work (like me :)) but for most people, the most cost effective solution will be Home Premium- Ultimate offers over Home Premium:

-Ultimate Extras (who knows what will fall here)

-Help protect against hardware failure

with advanced business backup features

-Business networking and Remote Desktop

for easier connectivity

-Better protect your data

against loss or theft with Windows BitLocker? Drive Encryption

So for most people, it's not worth paying the extra money!

RaisinCain    0

if you looked into this youd find that the voucher version on newegg for this only allows upgrades to vista if the oem xp mce was installed on a brandnew machine from a manufacturer (dell, hp, etc). if you read the comments there are plenty of people saying that they wasted their money because they cant use their vouchers

& if you would have bothered to read the posts on NewEgg regarding the vouchers, you would have seen that NewEgg is aware of the problem & is working with MS to rectify the situation. Also, the XP MCE 2005 disc is an OEM disc which qualifies it for the Home Premium Upgrade (boot off of the Vista DVD, insert the MCE cd & do a clean install..

freeza    11

Home Premium for me.

:: Lyon ::    56
I've heard of this before, but have yet to see any evidence of game performance tweaking in Vista (not to mention at the moment most games are slower in Vista versus XP). Care to elaborate on that one?

Yeah.. I'll get a home premium, but I'm a gamer.. and don't know what's about Vista Ultimate that will make a difference..

illicit    0

Home Premium for me.

That is what I would probably be getting.

thagame    0

vista ultimate free from school

1Frothy    0

Vista Ultimate courtesy of Microsoft Connect and my 600+ Bug Reports since Beta 1.

Polydactyl    0

So as of today, you can buy Windows Vista Business from CDW and a few other places on line (and supposedly at COMPUSA.) Will the Business edition allow me to use the "Windows Anytime Upgrade" to upgrade to Ultimate if decide to? What would that cost? $100?

Slimy    14

So as of today, you can buy Windows Vista Business from CDW and a few other places on line (and supposedly at COMPUSA.) Will the Business edition allow me to use the "Windows Anytime Upgrade" to upgrade to Ultimate if decide to?

AFAIK, yes it should :)

majortom1981    242

Why get ultimate when a lot of the features can be added by third aprty apps. some of them free?

UncleSpellbinder    17

I'm not a gamer at all. I'm more into creating Music, playing DVD's, surfing the net and testing Firefox alphas/betas. Home Premium would be just fine for me.

Pacjack    0

I would go for Home Premium if Remote Desktop was in that edition.

Business for me then.

bush    0

actually i seriously doubt that anyone here needs wivi ultimate. while with xp home edition was actually a bit of crap. here home premium is the best solution. i'll be buying it.

brlmedia    1

stuck between business and ultimate, hmmmmm.

Whale Meat Again    0

I'm going for Home Premium.

But I'm confused about something. I have the Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade version. If I buy Home Premium Upgrade, can I do a clean install with it? Or will I run into a problem because I'm upgrading an upgrade?

Lovell    280

stuck between business and ultimate, hmmmmm.

I fail to see what would be worth paying an extra $100 for :wacko:

dorimcheon    0

business

ziper    2

the first page of this thread has 1337 access warnings, sorry but i just had to add this :blush:

naap51stang    548

how about none........

Vista is XP with eye candy and a few "enhanced" security features.

Yes I've tried it. If you keep your computer up to date, patched,

good AV & spy/adware software, I don't see the "need" for Vista.

Plus, I don't want any of the DRM crap.

:alien:

NoCashGMBob    0

I wrote a different post earlier to the effect of"I'm not going to get Ultimate, that's just a money grab", but after reading the sticky outlining the different versions of Vista, Ultimate looks pretty attractive for my main machine.

I own an OEM copy of Media Center 2005 XP, as well as an OEM copy of XP Professional, the latter being the more recent purchase. What I got thinking at the time of the XP Pro purchase was how it aggravated me not having the option of purchasing a version of Windows that included all the features of the different versions!

Enter Vista Ultimate! All the features of Business, but with the Media Lovlies of Home Premium! This on it's own makes it worth the extra, Ultimate Extras or not.

Now All I want is the prices on in-place upgrading! (I've got a Express Upgrade to Home Premium coming in January, but I want Ultimate. Hope it's not more than $80 CAN.

Slimy    14

Plus, I don't want any of the DRM crap.

There is no 'DRM crap'.

0sit0    181

I think he meant WGA crap :)

leesmithg    226

I got an email today from amazon.co.uk.

I asked for when prices had been sorted they emailed me & they did few hours ago.

I am shocked at the prices.

Upgrade

Full

I can purchase a new PC better than the one I have and get vista premium for the price of the ultimate.

I am shocked, so my money won't be buying vista this next year.