Antivirus for Vista

xarizmat

There is a little secret about all of the antivirus programs on the market that makes me hate them, and here it is:

Question #1: How do they survive

the antivirus companies have only one way to make money... there's got to be security threats on the internet, otherwise they are no use... so, what happens when they run out of viruses? they make their own!! unbelievable but true... did you guys ever notice that antivirus companies (especially norton) provide virus definitions to valued customers before the virus gets released? now, since Windows Vista is pretty damn secure, they have a possibility of suffering a big crash, which, at the moment is not really the best news. in order for the antivirus to be able to survive, they have to make new VISTA-BASED viruses. but how do you do that??? well it's not that hard.... the antivirus requires access to the vistas 64-bit PatchGuard system in order for the software to function properly, and if they successfully sue microsoft, and rip the core from them...... imagine the next step for yourself.... ****BUZZ ALL OVER THE NET: VISTA's 64BIT PATCHGUARD SECURITY SYSTEM PENETRATED!!!!!**** hey, thats the way to go.... thats the right direction....

i personally would say "SCREW ALL THE *ANTI* VIRUS COMPANIES" because they are our only threat... no norton=no security threats.... oh, and by the way, Microsoft OneCare is a perfect solution for protection against NORTON viruses...

well, have fun on the research! :whistle:

eleeter

There is a little secret about all of the antivirus programs on the market that makes me hate them, and here it is:[...snip...

Personally I think you are ultra paranoid and talking nonsense.

Nod32 for me, most stable, reliable, you forget it's there.

Is it true that some tests are using "simulated" viruses? In other words, a file made the have the same signature but not the REAL thing.

windows95isg8

Windows Live One Care 1.5. Works perfectly....

Yer it does, but if you dont want to pay a thing, AVG is your friend :-)

illicit

AVAST - fully supported for RTM and FREE

:yes:

xarizmat

Personally I think you are ultra paranoid and talking nonsense.

Nod32 for me, most stable, reliable, you forget it's there.

Is it true that some tests are using "simulated" viruses? In other words, a file made the have the same signature but not the REAL thing.

it's easy to deny the truth.... but think for yourself, how would you act if you were the antivirus company, and you suddenly ran out of viruses, or the OS that was just released didn't support such things???? one answer: propose a threat to sell your product.

Update

hey << racial epithet >>s!

anybody know if deepfreeze works on vista?

thnx negra!

JakeSWE

I use Windows Live OneCare 1.5 and it works perfectly. And you get a 105 day free trial :p Always good.

eleeter

it's easy to deny the truth.... but think for yourself, how would you act if you were the antivirus company, and you suddenly ran out of viruses, or the OS that was just released didn't support such things???? one answer: propose a threat to sell your product.

I suppose you think Doctors create disease for job security, and the oil companies killed off the 200 mpg carburetor.

The fact is, as long as insecure OS's are around and virus writers are out there, anti-viral makers will do a good business. Why would they go to the trouble of creating viruses when other people out there do it for nothing?

xarizmat

I suppose you think Doctors create disease for job security, and the oil companies killed off the 200 mpg carburetor.

The fact is, as long as insecure OS's are around and virus writers are out there, anti-viral makers will do a good business. Why would they go to the trouble of creating viruses when other people out there do it for nothing?

easy answer to your question: there isn't all that many virus makers at the time because by now, it takes a research to create a virus... the geeks that sit at home don't really have the skill to crack the new vista, and the ones that do don't really have the time for that ****... everybody else wants to get paid for the work they do. and with the 64-bit vistas patchguard, even NORTON can't create a virus for the os yet...

primexx

easy answer to your question: there isn't all that many virus makers at the time because by now, it takes a research to create a virus... the geeks that sit at home don't really have the skill to crack the new vista, and the ones that do don't really have the time for that ****... everybody else wants to get paid for the work they do. and with the 64-bit vistas patchguard, even NORTON can't create a virus for the os yet...

did you register solely for the act of bashing NORTON?

I mean sure it's a horrible product, but alleging that they make viruses to keep themselves alive is a bit over the top.

eleeter
the geeks that sit at home don't really have the skill to crack the new vista, and the ones that do don't really have the time for that ****... everybody else wants to get paid for the work they do. and with the 64-bit vistas patchguard, even NORTON can't create a virus for the os yet...

Honestly you have no idea what you are talking about, and this is not the place to push your nutball theories.

Back on topic, I find it funny that Norton and Mcafee were whining that MS was locking them out and preventing them from creating their products for Vista (especially Vista x64) when Eset had no problem at all and their products works perfectly under all Vista versions.

S.MULLA

did you register solely for the act of bashing NORTON?

i think he may have had a bad experience with Mr Norton at childhood. :p

this is not the place to push your nutball theories.

:p

i've used Symantec corp on XP machines- but now i'm using vista- i've used mainly Live One-but due to the extensively looong scanning time (6hrs for 2tb) i find that a little too long. So after trying avast and all those AV's - i found Nod32- and i have never seen av software this good in all my life.

its everything u need in an Av software. sooo low on resources-and u can monitor it, as it scans files in the background- e.g u load up neowin- and u can see it quickly scans all the images/text/scripts etc in an instant- and using less than 2% cpu at ANY time is absolutely fantastic... :D

because it uses such low resources-i have to go back to it to make sure it is working.. :p but the vista version EST have created is absolutely brill- and love the minimal interface... sooo simple- even a rabbit could use it..

:: Lyon ::

avast works.. and free

Osiris

Each to their own, and for me Norton has always done the trick, im assuming that the new Norton 2007 which is in beta is designed to work with Vista?

Astrum

McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5.0i is very nice in Vista.

jrenals

I'm looking for a really good, really streamlined, and memory efficient AV that supports Vista well. Does anyone know of one they would recommend?

I've used NOD32 2.7 on the RC1 candidate of Vista x64 and it runs fine. Using it currently on XP Pro x64.

xpablo

Avast ! , I've have tried Trend Micro made a mess of my system, too many false positives as it claimed all my networking tools were "hacker programs" and prevented Windows from running them.

Treid NOD32 long ago in XP didn't see what all the hype about it was, I like Avast! as it just sits there in the background uses very little resources and automatically scans my downloads also.

Best of all it's FREE !

Hidr0

Avast ! , I've have tried Trend Micro made a mess of my system, too many false positives as it claimed all my networking tools were "hacker programs" and prevented Windows from running them.

Treid NOD32 long ago in XP didn't see what all the hype about it was, I like Avast! as it just sits there in the background uses very little resources and automatically scans my downloads also.

Best of all it's FREE !

yay!... Avast is free.. but not for longer pal!... :yes: Also IMO NOD32 is nice and simple does the job... not too corwed like others (norton, panda, mcaffe, trend micro, etc...)

Update

anyone even heard of deepfreeze? try it its great!! IDK if it works on vista though