Halite BitTorrent Client 0.2.6

Uh, yeah because Bram Cohen merged with Ludda from uTorrent that makes uTorrent dead. Right-o.

Ah I love conspiracy people!

And welcome to Neowin :p

considering the "wonderful" ties that Bram has just made ... yes, uTorrent will soon be officially dead. :rolleyes:

considering the "wonderful" ties that Bram has just made ... yes, uTorrent will soon be officially dead. :rolleyes:

Bittorrent isn't dead, so why would you assume utorrent would be dead because it was bought? Hell, they even admit there's no immediate plans to change anything. What the acquisition does is allow them to now license out the very well written client to companies interested in modifying it for singular purpose distribution.

Bittorrent isn't dead, so why would you assume utorrent would be dead because it was bought? Hell, they even admit there's no immediate plans to change anything. What the acquisition does is allow them to now license out the very well written client to companies interested in modifying it for singular purpose distribution.

What idiot is going to license a torrent client when they can just point people to free clients at no cost.

Or do like Blizzard and whip up your own little client, far cheaper in the long run I'm sure.

And yes, the official bittorrent client is dead and has been for some time.

As for my lack of posts and being new, I have another account on here but cant recall the info.. this one worked so I used it. ;o

And to Eoin: great client so far, shows much potential. It's funny because I remember going through this whole thing with utorrent when it was new and no one had heard of it. It showed great potential and came along nicely, sad to see it fall to money.

Annnnyways, I love the clean exit dialog, that is one major improvement over utorrent Ill tell you that. While some people might not use it, I love it. For now I would focus on getting the client functional. Like you said, basic stuff like sorting columns etc. Don't worry about extras like country flags or iptable until you have a nice stable working client.

Some bugs Ive come across so far:

opening a torrent from web browser doesnt seem to work, nor does opening it through windows 'open with' For some reason it spawns an all new .exe location. Using the open dialog seems to be the only way to get a torrent into the program correctly.

hala5b.jpg

the pause all/resume all options from the tray icon dont seem to do anything

Edited by tedddee

What idiot is going to license a torrent client when they can just point people to free clients at no cost.

Or do like Blizzard and whip up your own little client, far cheaper in the long run I'm sure.

And yes, the official bittorrent client is dead and has been for some time.

As for my lack of posts and being new, I have another account on here but cant recall the info.. this one worked so I used it. ;o

Someone who wants to distribute a certain kind of file and perhaps tie it into another service. It wouldn't be hard to include the code into another broader application.

Obviously Bram feels this is a more robust option, which it is. uTorrent is small, lightweight, and yet manages to include a lot of useful features absent from the basic libtorrent library (can't find the right word there).

Someone who wants to distribute a certain kind of file and perhaps tie it into another service. It wouldn't be hard to include the code into another broader application.

Honestly I don't see torrent as a viable option for any pay service at the moment. Maybe 5-10 years down the road when the typical broadband connection has as much upload as download and you can't notice the upload affecting your web browsing etc.

torrent is a good way for not-profit type things to keep bandwidth bills to a minimum, that's about it.

Obviously Bram feels this is a more robust option, which it is. uTorrent is small, lightweight, and yet manages to include a lot of useful features absent from the basic libtorrent library (can't find the right word there).

libtorrent is not a client

Honestly I don't see torrent as a viable option for any pay service at the moment. Maybe 5-10 years down the road when the typical broadband connection has as much upload as download and you can't notice the upload affecting your web browsing etc.

torrent is a good way for not-profit type things to keep bandwidth bills to a minimum, that's about it.

libtorrent is not a client

I know it's not a client (I never said it was) but if someone is including torrent functionality and doesn't wish to add anything but the basics themselves, libtorrent is not a viable option. Something like uTorrent is completely done and fully feature packed meaning there would be none of the extra word associated with building on libtorrent.

Wow, I didn't realize this was a thread about Halite for a moment there. I apologize to the author for discussion something entirely different here.

Yeah, but we have to wait too.

Halite is a new born client and of course need some fixes and features..:)

You're right, time will tell, btw anyone want to have some fun reading the comments of the FIRST ?Torrent release?

[centerSep 19 2005, 23:13

?Torrent 1.1 BETA (build 88), under 100K of size !b>

BitComet stays.
Downloaded for the utility of a 100kb client, but definately sticking to Bitspirit for my main client.
I can't replace Bit Spirit, but I will give it a try. Thanks mate.
I'll give it a try once I get home. I have a feeling that I am going to stick with ABC.
[/center]

:laugh:h:

Some bugs Ive come across so far:

opening a torrent from web browser doesnt seem to work, nor does opening it through windows 'open with' For some reason it spawns an all new .exe location. Using the open dialog seems to be the only way to get a torrent into the program correctly.

Thats now top of todo list :) .

the pause all/resume all options from the tray icon dont seem to do anything

Will look into that too.

Now that uToorent is going down the drain, it might be a good idea to start looking for an alternative.

Does it have the following features? If not, it would be a good idea to add them.

- choosing individual files from batch torrents and priorities

- ipfilter.dat support

- intelligent disk cacheing

- protocol encryption

- port randomization

I am however also very open to criticism and would love if noroom elaborated a bit on the quoted comment. For example did you dislike the GUI from an aesthetic or functional point of view (or both :) )

Welcome to neowin!

Honestly, I didn't think you'd come across this topic, which is why I wasn't more specific about my comment. I have to say, I'm a huge fan of software that gets developed following the users' requests (CAD, Mp3tag, etc). So, seeing you're being very active regarding this matter, I'll take a closer look at your client and give you a list of suggestions. I'm a huge ?Torrent fan, so you'll know more or less what to expect.

Now that ?Torrent has been bought, I don't know if development will continue the way it has so far, but it's very likely that I'll start looking for a different client. I probably won't be the only one, so this is your chance to win a LOT (almost 50%) of torrent users over.

I wish you good luck with your project. It has a lot of potential, but now is the time when you have to put a lot of time into it:):)

The biggest reason I'm already using Halite over uTorrent, open source.

I just knew the way Ludde was being a prick about source he was going to sell out sooner or later... :cry:

- choosing individual files from batch torrents and priorities

- ipfilter.dat support

- intelligent disk cacheing

- protocol encryption

- port randomization

The underlying torrent code is all libtorrent from rasterbar, a list of its features are available. Given the low-level support already present ipfilter.dat would be easy enough to implement. So are some of the others too, I'll have to try and get some priorities laid out.