Best Buy Holding Wii's

I'm buying the Wii. I'm buying it in January or February. If there aren't any in stock, I'll wait. Check back a week later. If not then, I'll wait longer. Oooh, woe is me.

yeah, me too, I'm not that eager of getting one. In several months, it will be like the Xbox 360, which are now left sitting there with no one buying them. Same thing with the PS2. I can wait.

I hope this guy also realizes that not every employee knows what's just come off the truck. How the hell should the first guy he bitched at know? What an idiot...

Maybe I'm just ignorant but... what's illegal about making people buy bundles? To my knowledge there's nothing that says that any retailer has to sell the console as a standalone unit. I'm pretty sure that the crap hitting the fan with BestBuy's bundling was just due to ****ed off customers and not the law.

what ****es me off about bestbuy is the pushing of accessories and warrenties. I become very upfront about this. I make it clear from the very beginning I don't want them and i'll never get them.

The Wal-Mart in our local area was forcing people to purchase 4 games with the Wii and they were never told before entering after waiting for 12 hours outside in the cold ... that my friends is extortion. :(

you waited 12 hours in line outside at walmart? so your walmart isnt open 24/7? you should have came across the border and bought one at an erie store, they went on sale @ midnight

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it Best Buy's choice to sell what and when? So they hold them. Big deal. It's their merchandise, they can do what they want with it.

Not a huge fan of Best Buy normally, but I agree completely. It's their choice.

you waited 12 hours in line outside at walmart? so your walmart isnt open 24/7? you should have came across the border and bought one at an erie store, they went on sale @ midnight

Nah man I waited at Future Shop (aka Best Buy). And unfortunately they opened at 10am in my city. :(

Maybe I'm just ignorant but... what's illegal about making people buy bundles? To my knowledge there's nothing that says that any retailer has to sell the console as a standalone unit. I'm pretty sure that the crap hitting the fan with BestBuy's bundling was just due to ****ed off customers and not the law.

Back in the old days (eg, last generation) there were forced bundles. However, they told you when you preordered your console (cause preorders were also the trend, which was smart) that you were agreeing to buy the bundle. The advertised it as such.

The problem recently has been that stores were advertising the console at regular price and suggesting you could come in and buy just the console. Then, upon entering, they tell you you must buy a bunch of other things. That's illegal. Forcing a bundle is not illegal, so long as its advertised. Forcing it at the last minute without telling anyone is illegal.

In any case, any serious gamer buying a console is automatically going to buy a second controller and minimum 2 games. So the REAL buyers will get the 'bundle', be it of their own volition.

Forcing a bundle should be illegal if you are buying more than 1 SKU, like your bill reads

7724211234567 Nintendo Wii $249.99

7724211654321 Legend of Zelda (Wii) $49.99

They're just making you buy more than you wanted if this is the case. If you bill only has 1 item and price on it, that's their bundle, but making one up and using many SKUs to do it is wrong.

I shop at that BEST buy store once in a while, and that doesn't surprise me. They had several specials for black Friday 2 years a go, and ran out of most of them quickly. Saturday morning, they had a ton of them, in stock and ready to sell at normal prices. They had forgot to take down the signs that said they were out of the product, (DVDs and Routers).

They make a killing on the warranties, and don't honor them, i bought speakers from them, with warranty, and when one died, i brought it back, and they pointed out the screw whole was 'destroyed' so coverage was voided. The black paint was scraped off, and the metal was scratched from the screws that i used.

I have been there when someone was screaming his head off at the Geek Squad there, he purchased a USB2 card, and paid for install, they wiped his hard drives because of virus concerns, and told him that he should have purchased the data backup plan.

They have some deals, on DVDs and other stuff, but i avoid them most of the time.

Glad to see another NEOWINNER in Cincinnati Area.

Simple solution...don't shop at those ****ing stores.

EB pulls a lot of bull**** too.

Simple solution; don't shop period, since all large stores follow similar practices.

I have been there when someone was screaming his head off at the Geek Squad there, he purchased a USB2 card, and paid for install, they wiped his hard drives because of virus concerns, and told him that he should have purchased the data backup plan.

Geek Squad doesn't wipe hard drives randomly. The customer must sign the work order which states that BB is not responsible for lost or damaged data as a result of work done. If the purchase extra insurance (must like buying insurance when you rent a car for the weekend) then you're covered.

um, if a national advertisement says that the store will have a certain amount, be it 12 or 18 or whatever, the store HAS to have that amount on hand that day, or else they would have lied in their advertisement (false advertise). Also, if they have different amounts for black friday and saturday/sunday, its because THERE'S a different advertisement special for black friday.

Ok. I guess it's apparent that the majority of people that are responding in this thread are hypnotized by best buy's practices and training. Yeah it's cool for you to hold your own product to schedule another launch, but don't tell your employees to blatantly lie about having the console. Why couldn't you tell your employees, "Yes we do have the Nintendo Wii in stock, but we're not authorized to sell it until the day after thanksgiving." To me, that's a lot easier than lying.

Because it wouldn't be part of their sale stock yet. Just because they have it out the back doesn't means its stock.

For all he knows, the kid he was talking to saw on his computer screen "0 In Stock". Doesn't matter that he USED to work there. Hell, I USED to have Windows98. I upgraded my computer system.

BestBuy could have upgraded the inventory system since he left.

The manager clearly felt that talking crap to you was wrong, and changed it. Remember, he has a boss too, he's been told what to do by someone. The pure fact that this nerd felt the urge to even speak to a manager, over such a petty incident is absolutely pathetic.

Ok. I guess it's apparent that the majority of people that are responding in this thread are hypnotized by best buy's practices and training. Yeah it's cool for you to hold your own product to schedule another launch, but don't tell your employees to blatantly lie about having the console. Why couldn't you tell your employees, "Yes we do have the Nintendo Wii in stock, but we're not authorized to sell it until the day after thanksgiving." To me, that's a lot easier than lying.

Obviously you didn't read my first post on this thread where I brought that up.

The majority of people, as I have learned, don't understand. I've given both answers when stock was in Quarantine. Virtually everyone who I said 'I'm sorry, we have the product but are unable to sell it to your at the moment' get mildly to completely enraged. Sadly, customers are stupid. Much like many people here, they don't understand the concepts involved in retail sale and supply and demand. They don't understand the concept of quarantine, even after it's explained, but they remain enraged. So it's easier to tell them the pseudo-truth of 'We dont' have it.'

Technically, quarantined stock is not in inventory - so we don't have it until we are allowed to sell it.

Simple solution; don't shop period, since all large stores follow similar practices.

Geek Squad doesn't wipe hard drives randomly. The customer must sign the work order which states that BB is not responsible for lost or damaged data as a result of work done. If the purchase extra insurance (must like buying insurance when you rent a car for the weekend) then you're covered.

Why wipe a Hard Drive to install a USB2 Card?

Geek Squad is a joke, I do some side work on computers and have had to fix there screw ups.

BTW - Ohio law does not allow a business to hold 'limit quantities' without clearly defined quantity amounts for sale in plan site. it is in the revised code, i have used it to get something for the sale price since the stores did not post the required signage. Circuit City is one store that i use this on all the time, the other is Comp-USA.

rajputwarrior

I agree Best Buy should not have lied to you and said "we don't have any" when they did. They should have said "We'll have systems available for purchase on Friday". But ultimately its their product until they sell it to you, so they can do what they want with it.

Technically, quarantined stock is not in inventory - so we don't have it until we are allowed to sell it.

So then, if I walked out without paying for it, it's technically not theft?

There's no holiday here, and if the stores have the stock they should sell it. People want it, and that's their business, to sell things that people want. I don't believe for a second that Best Buy is only receiving their Wii stock on Friday. It's probably been in their warehouse since Monday. Obviously they couldn't sell their launch stock before the launch date, but anything afterwards should be in and out as fast as they can move it. There's a significant investment in stock that sits in your warehouse doing nothing also. High turnover is better than not-so-high turnover.