• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows Vista vs. Mac OS X

david13lt    27

DirectX 10 isn't the reason, only for gamers maybe. Still you need a card which will fully support DX10.

OS X GUI, took me 10-20 minutes to figure out how it works. And I never used Mac OS X before, so don't say that it's a jungle. While Windows Vista took me more time to find all special keys and etc.

Talking about the Linux. I was in InfoBalt 2006 Exhibition it's only in Baltic and about IT. And there was Windows Vista vs. SuSE with XGL/Compiz. Guess who won?.. More people wanted to have SuSE on their PC than Windows.

Let's look at one new Vista feature. Flip 3D. Is this a joke?.. It's just showing off and nothing more. While Mac OS X Spaces and XGL/Compiz is a real thing, which will allow you to work faster and work will be more convenient.

Have you spent a month using Linux and Mac OS X?.. First try... Wait, not try... Do... And then talk...

Eric    1,605

Well they have... To a certin point...

Vista is realy nice, but theres still some stuff, even in RTM ( going by reviews, and even screenshots ) that still fell unfinish. Few diolog boxes remain. (no i'm not talking about add font, I could care less for that )

With mac OSX theres so munch function to the OS. My favorite part of "aqua" is the signal light buttons. To bad vista didnt have something like that.

Vista to a point STILL has Windows 95 ( and even 3x ) in it. Still has the taskbar and start menu, regestery and all that. I do hope when Vienna comes out that will be the "true" vista.

Also actvation gets me, why the hell do we need to actvacte? Doesn't microsoft trust us?

1: Of course Vista still has a registry, taskbar and start menu. OSX still have a preferences folder, menu bar and Apple menu. What's the difference?

2: Why do we need to activate Windows? Dunno, why does Apple have to put a Trusted Platform Module chip on their motherboards? Doesn't Apple trust you not to install OSX on a non-Mac?

saxondale.    15

Why dont you wait untill Leopard is out, its only fair. You are comparing something new, not even released with something which is already out and is about to be updated in Spring.

paolo90    0

DirectX 10 isn't the reason, only for gamers maybe. Still you need a card which will fully support DX10.

OS X GUI, took me 10-20 minutes to figure out how it works. And I never used Mac OS X before, so don't say that it's a jungle. While Windows Vista took me more time to find all special keys and etc.

Talking about the Linux. I was in InfoBalt 2006 Exhibition it's only in Baltic and about IT. And there was Windows Vista vs. SuSE with XGL/Compiz. Guess who won?.. More people wanted to have SuSE on their PC than Windows.

Let's look at one new Vista feature. Flip 3D. Is this a joke?.. It's just showing off and nothing more. While Mac OS X Spaces and XGL/Compiz is a real thing, which will allow you to work faster and work will be more convenient.

Have you spent a month using Linux and Mac OS X?.. First try... Wait, not try... Do... And then talk...

Yes, you'll figure out how it works in 10-20 minutes, but you won't get used to it as easily. I did exaggerate a bit though.

I used Linux for three months, afterwards, I ditched it for the lack of applications. Gimp isn't nearly as good as Photoshop if you ask me, and Wine isn't nearly as good as the real thing. About OSX, I use it when I'm at my friends house (it's my only choice, no Windows there), and yes, the clover drives me nuts when using Photoshop, even until now.

About InfoBalt, I wouldn't know, cos' I would think most of its participants were techies (correct me if I'm wrong) - majority of the world aren't techies. You'll be suprised to know that a lot of people are afraid of using the Windows Control Panel, what more with Linux? Some Linux apps still depend on the command line for installation, there are some in Windows too, but not nearly as much as there are for for Linux.

Yes, Flip3D is just for show, you have to admit it's cool though :rofl: (same goes to the Genie Effect in OSX, the upcoming Core Animation for OSX, XGL Window swaying). It's also a competition of having your OS good looking, which admittedly was started by Apple (That's one thing to thank Apple for).

Eric    1,605

To be fair, I do prefer OSX. I see the Mac as an experience and the PC as a tool.

Bah... If I just want an experience, I'll watch a movie. It's a helluva lot cheaper than buying overpriced hardware just for an OS that nothing useful runs on...

hotdog666al    31

Bah... If I just want an experience, I'll watch a movie. It's a helluva lot cheaper than buying overpriced hardware just for an OS that nothing useful runs on...

Name something which cannot be done on a Mac.

Terrible statement there mate.

Fagutish    0

Some of you are arguing that Leopard should be compared not Tiger but i hate to break this to you guys buuuuuuut,

As far as WE (the OSX enthusiasts-not fanboys) know Leopard is a very minor upgrade to Tiger with very user specific options (Spaces - as proven by linux users - is only useful if the user is experienced enough to deal with virtual desktops) (Time Machine - needs ALOT of space - you guys see how it asks for a drive to store it in?)

That being said I KNOW i will buy it, i jsut dont think its worht getting into that arguemnt of Tiger or Leopard over Vista knowing that the only noticable improvement will be minor performance tweaks

paolo90    0

Some of you are arguing that Leopard should be compared not Tiger but i hate to break this to you guys buuuuuuut,

As far as WE (the OSX enthusiasts-not fanboys) know Leopard is a very minor upgrade to Tiger with very user specific options (Spaces - as proven by linux users - is only useful if the user is experienced enough to deal with virtual desktops) (Time Machine - needs ALOT of space - you guys see how it asks for a drive to store it in?)

That being said I KNOW i will buy it, i jsut dont think its worht getting into that arguemnt of Tiger or Leopard over Vista knowing that the only noticable improvement will be minor performance tweaks

This is another thing I simply love about Apple, selling service-pack level upgrades. I remember Jobs bashing Windows for not selling a new release after 5 years and comparing it with OSX upgrades... This is a dumb comparison, obviously. Jobs should show us an OSXI first before bashing Vista for its "long" development process.

OSX->OSX (Feline Name)[$129] = Windows->Windows Service Pack (Number)[Free]

"Had we called it Mac OS 11, nobody would have minded," said Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller, adding that the company wanted to keep using the Mac OS X name longer.

Mind him, OSX->OSX(Feline Name) is not nearly as drastic as Windows XP->Windows Vista.

Apple's decision not to sell a less-expensive upgrade version lay in the qualitative difference between version 10.1 and 10.2, the company said. Although the versions share the same core technology, Jaguar includes several new features and services, such as search tool Sherlock 3 and Internet address finder Rendezvous, which arguably classify it as an entirely new piece of software.

Again: OSX->OSX(Feline Name) is not nearly as drastic as Windows XP->Windows Vista.

Asked Wednesday why Apple didn't offer a cheaper price for existing OS X users, Apple CEO Steve Jobs told reporters: "$129 is pretty low cost. It's cheaper than Windows."

And people wonder why OS wars never end. Steve Jobs should probably stop worrying about Windows and worry more about his own product O_o, but oh well - who can blame him for being competitive? After all, his OS is only 5% of the market share.

Quotes from http://news.com.com/2100-1040-944587.html

mluu510    0

WTF is there so compare? vista BLOWS! it's just a slower version of xp with crappy confusing menu replacement and ugly excessive use of transparency. LAME!

yea, i am using vista RTM right now. i hate it. everything is so slow and cost so much RAM.

kronix2    0

Uh, Windows 95 was a complete redesign over Windows 3.1. But yes, Vista still has a lot of common components from Windows 95. Microsoft is more reactionary with its Windows and Internet Explorer releases as they still hold a near monopoly. But Office, on the other hand, is indeed innovative. Judging by the screenshots of Office 2007, it's definitely a rewrite over Office 2003.

But seriously, just use whatever suits you, as long as you don't use Internet Explorer, LOL! :p

Office 2007 isn't a rewrite. Take away the ribbon and visual style and you've got something which doesn't seem all that groundbreaking. Don't believe me? Open up Publisher 2007, which doesn't utilise the ribbon or new visual style. I've used Publisher 2003 extensively and I'm yet to see an improvement which justifies the three year development cycle.

I hope the guy realises that the OSX point releases are simply that - point releases. Apple haven't released a new OS in five years. The difference between 10.0 and 10.4 is comparable to that between 2000 and XP SP2, in my view.

Those arent main features, your just jealous that there equal and you want something better

Jealous of an OS?

I'm all for agitating Mac fans, but this is pure retardedness. You've posted two huge press releases and then added your own one-sentence commentary at the end criticising OSX , while providing no clue as to why it deserves the criticism.

Tech_Dude_5000    0

yes u r flaming me, and i didnt cheat my way into the beta program, yea the age thing and thats all!

well look there, thats cheating. and also doing an illegal act.I for one, download legally I used the CPP for my downloads. if a bulid that I wanted wasnt out to the plubic, then so be it I wont download it. Thats why I'm still using RC2, I'd rather wait and get vista when it officaly is relased to the plubic, then do what you doing/did.

dude, i dont care about time or performance right now, im talking bout that feature list that is offical and wont change so stop saying but but, i am comparing it to osx tiger, and i will compare vista sp1 with leopard, and thats that! :D

oh so you want to create another thread with the same info? Dude advice: don't do that. Leave the comparsion to some one that does it well, and won't bash the other OS. like Slimy for an example.

Edited by Tech_Dude_5000

Denis W.    731

OK, here we go...

[...]

first of all msconnect wont allow 16 year olds either, only 18 years of age and up, wow u no nothing...

NO **** SHERLOCK. Have you heard of age forgery, which bleh, could very well be what you did to get in.

i submitted more bugs than u! heh, did u forget how to submit a bug lol!

Offtopic: I don't know of any adults that end a sentence with "lol!" when the preceding sentence WASN'T FUNNY.

Yeah, enroll me in the program on Connect and I won't "forget" how to submit a bug, because somehow I don't know how to use the bloody Beta Client tool for us CPPers. :rolleyes:

Seriously, for Microsoft's next major beta testing program they should start conducting short interviews via email. That'll weed out these idiot testers that do nothing but sabotage the whole testing process.

yes u r flaming me, and i didnt cheat my way into the beta program, yea the age thing and thats all!

MODERATOR: i am tired of this dude picking on me, i am about to flame him right now, so please put some sorta block on him so he cant view my posts, topics, or anything of me on neowin becauz all he does is flame at me about my posts and of my age and much more, please and thanku!

Maybe you should try acting outside of your perceived age and people won't say crap about you. And use that ignore feature.

dude, i dont care about time or performance right now, im talking bout that feature list that is offical and wont change so stop saying but but, i am comparing it to osx tiger, and i will compare vista sp1 with leopard, and thats that! :D

So with that logic, you'd compare OS X 10.1 to Windows ME (or if you really want Windows 2000)?

About that "comparison" up there, you're not that much better than this ######. :rolleyes:

Edited by rm20010

Berto    0

Happy Vista user here. Not the betas or RC versions but the latest one you can download from MSDN. Only wish I had the bucks for the ram but until I do I'm sticking with Vista.

Concerns about viruses for a graphic designer workstation, simple solution here: Leave the workstation offline and keep another system for going online. Problem solved and you've saved a couple G's due to Mac's being still an expensive little system.

OS X...it's cool but the novelty wears thin after a week or two and when you just need something to jive with the rest of the office then make mine MS.

John S.    359

thread cleaned

LTD    0

Wow, uh . . . . . I'll come back . . .

david13lt    27

Stop. Is this something like Mac OS X vs. Windows war now?.. Or we are still comparing there two OSes?

MrCobra    0

Uh, Windows 95 was a complete redesign over Windows 3.1. But yes, Vista still has a lot of common components from Windows 95. Microsoft is more reactionary with its Windows and Internet Explorer releases as they still hold a near monopoly. But Office, on the other hand, is indeed innovative. Judging by the screenshots of Office 2007, it's definitely a rewrite over Office 2003.

But seriously, just use whatever suits you, as long as you don't use Internet Explorer, LOL! :p

Other than the UI for 95, it's still 3.1 with a new look and a few added things. Take a look at USER32.DLL, SHELL32.DLL, GDI32.DLL, KERNEL32.DLL, ect. They are just thunking layers that go down to Win3.1 16bit code and back. 95 wasn't revolutionary or evolutionary. Some new features aside, Office 2007 is not a rewrite either. It's largely the 2003 code base with enhancemnts and fixes.