Why doesn't Mac make an OS for the pc?

with cell phones being able to play mp3's the ipod might not keep them afloat much longer. why not give microsoft some real competition?

Edited by nosracnoj

The age-old answer to this question is: "Apple is a hardware company, not a software company."

The other problem with your idea is that the iPod isn't "keeping them afloat." They make a lot of money from selling computers.

Oh, and who'd really want to take on Microsoft directly when they can keep being a successful business without doing so?

First of all, iPod won't die ever. 2007 Q1-Q2 we will have iPod Phone, called "iPhone", which should even increase the sales.

About the Mac OS X for PCs... Hm... It would be hard to answer, if you will compare Mac OS X and Windows prices, you would find out that Mac OS X costs few times less. The main money are coming from Computers, as you know they cost more than regular PC with the same parts. But Mac OS X is now on INTEL X86 and this is the big step. I think after some years we will see the first, real version of Mac OS X for PCs. Want you or not, but this will happen, this is just a matter of time.

The age-old answer to this question is: "Apple is a hardware company, not a software company."

The other problem with your idea is that the iPod isn't "keeping them afloat." They make a lot of money from selling computers.

Oh, and who'd really want to take on Microsoft directly when they can keep being a successful business without doing so?

they are taking on microsoft directly, you've seen the "mac vs PC" commercials. if Apple made an decent OS that could run on a PC it would force microsoft to raise standards and lower prices. competition is good for everyone.

Hardware comapny? 3rd parties make 90% of all of their hardware. If they don't make software, what exactly do they do?

Hardware comapny? 3rd parties make 90% of all of their hardware. If they don't make software, what exactly do they do?

I guess what he ment is that Apple main profit stream comes from hardware sale not software. if you think of it, opening Mac OS to the public hardware will effect their hardware sales. On the other hand opening their OS to public hardware will increase the OS sales -which is not that profitable to them- but will also means new drivers -extention- for new hardware which will also might lead to lots of bugs, errors, hardware faileirs, and maybe security holes which reminds me of Microsoft XD .... that's ofcouse my OWN opinion.

but in general I wish they do have Mac OS X opened for other than Apple H/W.

1. The company responsible for the Macintosh OS is called Apple, not Mac.

2. Audio-playing mobile phones are not really significant competitors to the iPod. They are more of a business opportunity (think iTunes) for Apple.

3. Allowing the MacOS to run on PCs would cause Mac sales to drop. Apple's revenue comes from hardware, not software.

4. Apple IS giving Microsoft some 'real' competition. Mac popularity is soaring, and it shows no signs of slowing down.

I think that Macintosh computers will have a 15%+ market share within the next 8 years.

they are taking on microsoft directly, you've seen the "mac vs PC" commercials. if Apple made an decent OS that could run on a PC it would force microsoft to raise standards and lower prices. competition is good for everyone.

I'd say their main competitors are PC manufacturers. Microsoft too, but they're still not taking MS on directly. Yes, in most cases competition is good for consumers, but who says this particular move would be good for Apple?

Let's say they let PC manufacturers put OS X on their computers. First off, it has to be competitively priced against Windows, which wouldn't mean a whole lot of profit for Apple. Given Apple's marketshare, choosing OS X probably wouldn't be that popular among home users and pretty much not used by businesses.

Wow sorry. They are in the business of selling hardware. Any more little problems with how I've worded my posts? :p

1. The company responsible for the Macintosh OS is called Apple, not Mac.

sorry i thought i could sneek by with that mistake.

2. Audio-playing mobile phones are not really significant competitors to the iPod. They are more of a business opportunity (think iTunes) for Apple.

yes they are. i own both an ipod nano and a new phone that plays mp3's. it makes more sense for me to use my phone as an mp3 player because i have to carry it with me anyway. although the ipod does have the wheel thingy.

3. Allowing the MacOS to run on PCs would cause Mac sales to drop. Apple's revenue comes from hardware, not software.

more revenue would come from software if they released an os for the pc.

4. Apple IS giving Microsoft some 'real' competition. Mac popularity is soaring, and it shows no signs of slowing down.

not really. i mean maybe it's popularity is growing, but only among the folks that can afford it. for many people a $600 dell is the only affordable option.

^ agreed. How many hardware developers are going to want to go to the hassle of making OSX drivers for their kit? i suspect quite a few just wouldn't bother

^ agreed. How many hardware developers are going to want to go to the hassle of making OSX drivers for their kit? i suspect quite a few just wouldn't bother

maybe there should be laws in place so that developers have to make proper drivers for all os's, to prevent hardware companies from favoring one OS over the other.

maybe there should be laws in place so that developers have to make proper drivers for all os's, to prevent hardware companies from favoring one OS over the other.

You probably have no idea how many different OSes are there?

The drivers is the key thing, this one reason why Mac OS is reliable is there is no dodgy drivers, releasing Mac to the market would create this problem, the only way I see they can get around this is to have certificate signed computers ie "Designed for Mac OS X", which will have all compatible hardware. But considering OS X is only ?90 they are not going to make that much money which is why it had stayed on Apple Hardware.

well...starting out, couldn't apple make some of it's own hardware to run on their operating system, like microsoft does with mice, keyboards, ect.....sigh. nevermind. i just wish there were more competition in the pc market for ms than what's out there now. there just isn't any balance there.

well...starting out, couldn't apple make some of it's own hardware to run on their operating system, like microsoft does with mice, keyboards, ect.....sigh. nevermind. i just wish there were more competition in the pc market for ms than what's out there now. there just isn't any balance there.

Apple do make Keyboards and Mice :blink: However, everyone would agree that there does need to be more competition, however from poor development of Apple's OS in the 1990's, OS/2 pulling out the home user market and Microsofts slightly illegal tactics in the 1990's meant that outcome is how it is today with Windows having 90% of the market.

The majority of the popular software runs on Windows and until the percentage of Mac users goes up significantly and forces software companies to code more apps for it then I don't think it will ever be any real competition to Microsoft.

Some will say that with Boot Camp the issue is no longer there. The issue is still very much there. The day people can do everything on their Mac that someone using Windows can do and do it natively (without using boot camp to run Windows) is the day there will be competition to Microsoft.

Technically though, a Mac is PC and without going into it any further, OSX runs wonderfully well a standard PC.

And quite a few would. Dell for example was very interested in shipping their PCs with Mac OS X. But they got a cold "No" from Apple.

<snipped>

Why doesn't Windows make an OS for the Apple? :laugh:

Edited by John S.

everyone would agree that there does need to be more competition
Errr.....not really. OS X, Windows and Linux. What more do you want?
The day people can do everything on their Mac that someone using Windows can do and do it natively (without using boot camp to run Windows) is the day there will be competition to Microsoft.
Really? Name 3 things you can do on PC that you can't do on a Mac? I'm waiting.....

Personally, I hope Apple's market share remains about the same as it is right now. It puts them in a position where they *have* to innovate. Windows has become downright boring. There's nothing compelling about it. It's 'kinda funny but the main selling points for Vista (enhanced security, fast search feature, gadgets, UI enhancements) are old news for those who use OS X.

the only way I see they can get around this is to have certificate signed computers ie "Designed for Mac OS X", which will have all compatible hardware.

Probably, yes.

But considering OS X is only ?90 they are not going to make that much money which is why it had stayed on Apple Hardware.

A Mac OS X licence is likely to cost twice as much on non-branded Apple hardware. Maybe more.

with cell phones being able to play mp3's the ipod might not keep them afloat much longer. why not give microsoft some real competition?

I've had a phone that plays MP3s for about 4 years now... I still have my iPod.

Really? Name 3 things you can do on PC that you can't do on a Mac? I'm waiting.....

- Games,

- Use 100% of hardware,

- Tablet PCs,

- Native support for Windows PDAs and Phones,

- Use pretty much any software available, and get all features of those software packages,

- DirectX (it owns OpenGL),

I am aware that by adding Windows, most of these problems are overcome. But you have to pay hundreds of dollars for Windows... where as a Dell/HP/Compaq/Asus/Sony comes with Windows standard, and often costs less.