NVidia's Shameful Vista RTM support

It's all just part of the migration process. I'm content with running games in Windows XP until Jan 30th when I purchase Vista retail. Sure I'm as disappointed as the next gaming enthusiast but as long as the new hardware is still supported under Windows XP during this phase then I don`t really care.

I can remember a lot people saying similar things when there was no 64-bit version of Windows for our shiny, new 64-bit processors. We had the hardware support but no 64-bit Windows for about a year and a half after the first mainstream x86-64 processors were released. Even after release, drivers were hit or miss for a while. My point is why should this release be more of a major deal than when 64-bit starting to become more popular? The timespan between Vista RTM and retail release is much shorter compared to 64-bit hardware and Windows XP x64 Edition was.

I dont see why this is a surprise.

It seems to me exactly like the Windows 2000 and Windows XP releases as far as driver support goes. Drivers are working and available unless the hardware is very new, but at the moment performance is poor.

If memory serves me right when XP went retail (not RTM) it was pretty much properly supported by the major hardware manufacturers and I expect Vista to be similar. There were still smallish performance improvements made a few months after retail though and I again expect that to be the case with Vista.

So I dont see why people would whine about drivers at the moment since looking at past OS releases makes the current situation entirely predicatable, which is exactly why I still dual boot XP with my RC2. :)

Yep I tried, but I had to revert back to the last safe version.

RTM is release to manufacturing, manufacturers of PCs. Businesses can get their copies too but I'm doubtful any except the bleeding edges tech companies will do that, as it will be a migration plan to move to Vista for most big businesses over the coming 2-3 years.

Companies like Dell, HP have no NVidia/ATI drivers yet which makes very little sense - how are these companies building their images that they bundle as "backup disks" with their PCs? Maybe NVidia and ATI are slighly giving these companies the drivers and not the general public, but I can't see the point in doing that - they would reduce their support calls by distributing them. Unless Dell and HP are limited to not selling PCs with Vista on until Jan? Correct me if I'm wrong.

What frustrates me the most is NVidia sells Vista-compatible cards on its homepage, yet the SLI system and my single 6800 are performing woefully with Vista. The desktop is doing OK, but then it's not exactly having a lot to do - there's hardly a huge polygon count when rendering windows handles and a bit of transparency.

Maybe tommorow we'll see some light, if not then it's back to Windows XP I guess. Reluctantly as Vista is miles better than XP for using.

I got my copy from my MSDN subscription, I'm not a games developer (boring old c#/sql server business apps) but I would still like to play my Source games with some decent FPS :) And Dark Messiah doesn't play with 800x600 which I shelled $50 on.

Edited by sloppycode