Concealing cables and tidying up...

Could anyone please give me some advice as to how to better-conceal the cables and ugly digital cable boxes for the wall-mounted TVs in the link below? The first four are of the living room, the last two are of the master bedroom.

I apologize for the ultra-crappy photography, but as I don't own a camera (digital or otherwise), I'm not too good with them :)

TV setup

[Edit: If possible, can a mod please move this to the Home Theater discussion? I apologize, as I didn't mean to post to Media, per se]

Edited by berz

Greetings~

I took a look at your pics .. and have a couple suggestions you could try .

Depending oon you cable lengths one or both of these options mayor may not apply to your situation.

1) take a trip to you local Home improvemant store (Home Depot, Lowes , Value ..depending on where you live) and look for what i call "snap conduit" .. it comes in 2 pieces ...a "front" side and a "back" side .. that snap together to hide the wires.

basically what you do ..is take the Backside of the conduit and attach it to the wall or other surface where you want to hide wires.. then put the wirs along that an snap the top in place.. they comein either "flat" (streamlined) shape.. or like a "box" shape. They do paint good as well so if you put it at the border of say like your Fireplace mantel and wall .. you CAN paint it to match the area you attach it to.

Pro: easy to use and cut to fit, and paintable

Con: when i prchased mine they only had one size .. and just enough room 2 network cables and a phone cord but the store near you MIGHt have various sizes .

2) go to your local auto parts store and see if they carry "wire covers" ..like the plastic ones they use to protect the wires from the heat of the engine..

Pros: Flexible , can fit more than one or 2 in a "tube" , can come in a variety of sizes diameters

Cons: as far as i know only one color choice ..BLACK.....not that easy to paint to conceal if you run it along a border better for areas that are "hidden" to keep wires somewhat organized.

Hope the Information helps

LoneWolf

Awesome! Not being of the "handyman" persuasion, I find even the simplest tasks a bit daunting.

I like the "snap conduit" idea very much, provided they come in the proper size. Though I was originally going to go for a more minimalist look, I'll probably end up putting in a somewhat discrete A/V cabinet off to the side somewhere and attempt to disguise the conduit in any way that I can.

It's a pity that CableCard, in its current incarnation, is so limiting, as the box is such a cumbersome eyesore. Though the DVR functionality almost makes up for that.

Thanks, LoneWolf!

Berz~

Gald to be of help ..

I did find out what its ACTUALLY called ... PVC Trunking... at least by some of the websites i found ..

to give ya an idea what this stuff is ..Trunking in multiple colors(UkSite im assuming due to Currency) so you know what you would be looking for and be able to ask should you go that route :)

and in reality .. it is quite descrete..as the old saying goes "only your hairdesser knows for sure" but in this case.."only the one who did thhe wiring knows for sure" ... especially if you go along a edge or around a corner

as a matter of fact .,, i used it in a Kitchen area along the celing and for 5 years while i lived there NO ONE noticed it unless i pointed it out to them :)

lost of luck :)

LoneWolf

Again, thank you so much! I stopped at Home Depot after work and was able to find something very similar. With some creative decoration, I think it can come out quite nice. The house was only built two years ago and I've owned it for less than a month now, so I really hate to have to make more holes than necessary :)

oh man, those cables look hideous.. thats why i don't wall-mount my tv.. because of cables

"It seemed like a good idea at the time!" ;)

So far, it's cost 25% of the price of each tv to have them mounted to the point that they're at. I'm sure this figure will only go higher...

On the plus side, my 30" CRT HDTV (from Wal-Mart, baby) has been serving me very well in the rec room.