• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Depressed about Vista?

S550    104

I like everyone else was very excited about Vista coming out back when it was Longhorn..but is anyone else depressed about the final product? I know the underlaying technologies are great and that Vista will get better when it is actually release and in the few months following...but am I the only one that isn't very impressed with it out of the box? @ this point in time I don't see it offering me as a web developer anything that XP or 2000 already doesn't.

It works flawlessly on my machines so I'm not complaining about that..I don't know..something just bugs/depresses me about it. Maybe I just over hyped myself about it.

Morishani    0

@ this point in time I don't see it offering me as a web developer anything that XP or 2000 already doesn't.

I'm a web developer too and i can't see any upgrades for us in vista :(

reactionary007    13

if so much of it wasn't back ported to xp it would be more stand out - but it is still a very nice OS.

qdave    159

i guess i am a bit dissapointed that it isn't what i thought it will be. but apart from that its great :)

raskren    0

Prozac can be an effective treatment for depression. Never heard of anyone being put on SSRIs because of an Operating System though.

S550    104

OK maybe depressed isn't the right word to use, but when i boot up my laptop now its like..."*sigh* ok now its time to use Windows again..." there is no excitement at all. When i get to a XP or 2k machine its like "Cool, computers w00t". and I'm typically the guy that excited about new toys/software/tech stuff. Vista just leaves me with an empty feeling. Like I got it...but it doesn't give me anything in return.

Spielo    0

I think people just get generally more cynical... well, not cynical exactly, just less easily excited as you get older.

When I was younger, I found the prospect of new things coming out quite exciting, but now, I still look forward to things, but products are just products. I'm looking forward to going to the Oxford Street Wii launch next week, and I'm looking forward to getting my Wii... but I'm not exploding with excitement about it; it's just a console.

Vista has been a long time coming, it would be difficult to sustain excitement about it, it's just an OS afterall. I think it's also to do with the fact that Windows XP (and to a lesser extent, 2000) have been the first versions of Windows that people have actually been satisfied with. W2K/XP were significantly improved over 98 because it was the first version that felt stable, which is the most important feature of an OS.

S550    104

Very true, I still see 2000 as the best OS MS has brought us, and I see XP as just 2k with Cleartype and built in ZIP handling. If it wasn't for those features I'd still use 2k daily.

+Human.Online    8,597

It's an OS. As such, it offers a range of features. If it does not offer any features beyond your current OS (that will be of use) then simply don't use it.

I don't see why people get excited about an OS. Get exceited about the features and uses thereof, but this whole "Vista for Vista's sake" confounds me.

Personally, I am keen to use a lot of the newer technologies, but I then realise that so much has been dropped and ported - rather than being depressed I am happy that I can use these technologies now :)

obsolete_power    0

I like everyone else was very excited about Vista coming out back when it was Longhorn..but is anyone else depressed about the final product? I know the underlaying technologies are great and that Vista will get better when it is actually release and in the few months following...but am I the only one that isn't very impressed with it out of the box? @ this point in time I don't see it offering me as a web developer anything that XP or 2000 already doesn't.

It works flawlessly on my machines so I'm not complaining about that..I don't know..something just bugs/depresses me about it. Maybe I just over hyped myself about it.

What did you want it to offer you as a web developer? As I understand, the proprietary Windows apps for web design are to be ignored for their simplicity. What exactly are you referring to? Was Vista supposed to offer more web developing features :looks around for everyone's expression:, did I miss something? Because as I recall it hasn't yet 100% turned into Mac OSX! :unsure:

LewisBraid    0

im a tad disappointed with it, it was nothing like the hype to xp for me considering i went from 98se to Xp, was brilliant a breath of fresh air you could say... but vista just seems old. i haven't had a chance to test out the final product yet. but once i've downloaded and installed it i hope my opinion changes.

S550    104

I just expected it to somehow impress me. As I said before maybe my expectations were to high, but i felt liek with Vista supposedly the "biggest change since 95" i should some how feel like I'm working in a better environment then I did under XP. I liked the 4xxx builds i felt great using them, but after they moved to 5xxx and now 6000 it feels like Vista lost something and I'm not sure what.

MarkusDarkus    117

Well when you compare it to all the Longhorn Conept videos and demonstrations, the final Vista does seem to be missing all it's bells and whistles. Now it's just another OS.

windows95isg8    18

The change from 98 to XP was a big one for me, So many new tools to use and the like. Now my problem is, When people ask me, Should I upgrade to Vista from XP, I say yes, but what resins do I give. I work in I.T and I need to sale Vista when its out. But does it still get Spyware? Yer it ****ing does lol, does it go much faster then XP? Well yes if you make the system hardware better, that costs more. Does it crash less? Yer it does not crash as much, then again XP dident crash on me much lol.

All in all its alot of cash, for not to much change. I know there is under the hood changes, but people that i sale computers and windows to, dont know **** about computers. I cant go, ohhh yer you get a better network stack. there look at me strange lol.

tranceandy    0

I personally prefer using Vista to XP. I like the way it looks and find it very easy to use.

mdsll    0

I agree with the original poster.

I'm usually excited with new technology, but with Vista i'm thinking, why switch from XP, if XP already does everything I need and runs smoother....

Oh and then theres OS X on my MacBook...

Ames    2

Well I have to say, when people that don't follow computers that closely ask me whats new I always have to think to myself. I mean:

.Net Framework/WPF --> Backported to XP

WMP11 --> Backported to XP

IE7 --> Backported to XP

Defender --> Backported to XP

Windows Sidebar --> Can be made to run on XP but there are better alternatives anyways. Might be backported.

MCE --> No better than XP's (in fact I like it less, its functionally less simple to run from a tv and looks unfinished)

Windows Mail --> No Different than Outlook Express

Instant Search --> Anyone heard of Windows Desktop Search... its the same engine.

Windows Movie Maker --> They took out the ability to capture from any source (Only DV Cameras work)

RDC v6 Client --> Backported to XP

Sound Recorder --> In my opinion a downgrade

But reality is it offers a lot of improvements that I miss when I go back to XP. Security isn't missed but is always appreciated.

And Vista Group Policys make administrating Vista (when its eventually rolled out in businesses) that much easier.

I just wish it had nothing functionally inferior to XP. FTP is very buggy. Rename a file to the same name as a file already in the directory and it will delete the old one, no prompt. Try deleting a file in FTP and after being logged into the FTP server for a while it will stop working (haven't figured out what triggers this)

Chicane-UK    674

Yeah - not exactly blown away by Vista in the end.

Had my hands on RTM through work and installed it and played around with it for a week before I got fed up and went back to XP. Just runs so much quicker than Vista and whilst my machine isn't new, it certainly isn't a fossil.

In my opinion, if XP does everything you need from a functionality point of view then Vista offers you nothing. If you feel you want Media Centre features, new backup software, and of course 'Aero' then look into Vista.

I don't know what I was expecting but something which would silence Apple. I personally feel that it fails to do that quite significantly, and I hope that Apple use this chance to make Leopard a really ground breaking product. Who knows what will happen there though...

Sniper101    0

I feel abit like it aswell, could the gothic like vs be taking a toll on the modern man? lol Who does microsoft think we are Depressed Goths waiting to kill our selfs? lol

Anyway, there is abit of an improvement but To me Its not very friendly to the Lower end user side is it? like the Specs for it are way higher then XP's? what gives. And Really Vista is a Pretty XP. Just a lick of paint here and there, code clean up, plug a thew holes and throw a thew decorations in there perhaps some nice Security stuff and hey you have vista :D lmao

Urm Vista is nice but not what i expected it to be :)

Tech_Dude_5000    0

Again, those who are "depressed" about the final verson of vista just expected to munch. oh and don't wory, those technolgies might be back in SP1.

#Michael    208

Hoe about this....stop your bitching. Its an operating system. It is what is, Microsoft did what they had to do to make deadlines and get the OS to where they wanted it to be.

If you don't like it, then tough ****, don't use it. But these threads about people complaing about how vista doesn't have this or how vista doesn't have that and I am so depressed about it or so ****ed about it is gotten so annoying.

Live with it, it isn't going to change.

majortom1981    242

I have been using rc1 since it came out and I actually like it better then xp. Does seem faster on some things .

Also I have used the dvd utility on vista so far and it came out great.

also vista has 32 bit remote desktop support. meaning ican actualy remote into it and have the desktop being displayed at 32bit color remotely.

You cant do that in xp (the client handles it but the os doesnt)

I am also talking about remote desktop and not 3rd party apps (there is something about my machine they dont like)

Ferret    6

It's a good OS - But it'll be better when companies start releasing drivers for it !

briangw    127

I like the search and organizational functions. You can't rate folders/files in XP right now, except with maybe a third party app.

Izlude    101

hey who knows, maybe ultimate extras will perk everyone up :woot: they almost sound like presents don't they?