Depressed about Vista?

I have been using rc1 since it came out and I actually like it better then xp. Does seem faster on some things .

Also I have used the dvd utility on vista so far and it came out great.

also vista has 32 bit remote desktop support. meaning ican actualy remote into it and have the desktop being displayed at 32bit color remotely.

You cant do that in xp (the client handles it but the os doesnt)

I am also talking about remote desktop and not 3rd party apps (there is something about my machine they dont like)

32bit works fine with the RDP6 client that was just released on Tuesday.

Or at least it is working for me... humph....

I just don't like the way Vista makes everything long winded. In XP you copy a folder of files to an identical folder, it asks "do you want to replace?" with the option of yes to all. Job done. On vista you have to click 2/3 times more to get the job done. Doesn't sound like much but it seriously annoys me.

I think its crap too. Vista in its current form is a step back, nothing works properly with it and you end up having to sacrifice something to use it.

Theres no advantage to using it over XP only disadvantages.

Everyone here raise your hand if you were part of the beta cycle. If you were then you had your chance to voice your opinions and have them be heard. You could have posted in the NG, sent bug reports, sent suggestions, participated in the feature focus groups, done any number of things to get your opinions heard about what should have been done differently.

If you were part of the beta but didn't do any of that then sit down and shut up because you don't have anything to bitch about.

And if you weren't part of the beta then too bad....you just have to live with it. Or just stay on XP. I have been part of the beta, submitted my reports, been in the NG, and made my opinions count. Some made it into the final code, others did not. But at least I tried. You don't see me complaining about what it isn't.

Actually try using vista for more than 5 minutes and it may grow on you. Been using it 24/7 since it was given to us via connect and I like it. Has some issues, but then so did XP when it first came out. That is what WU, UE, and SP are for.

The step from XP to Vista is nowhere near as big as the step from Win98 to XP, even if Billy-boy wants to make believe you this.

Before drivers and updated programs come out for Vista, it's pretty much unusable for me, which is why I removed it again for now.

I'm a developer. ASP .NET and windows forums. The first thing I like about Vista is the reponse time, projects open right now, they are horribly slow in XP.

Everything is snappier, add in a few new bells and whistles and it's enough for me to move to it.

Everyone here raise your hand if you were part of the beta cycle. If you were then you had your chance to voice your opinions and have them be heard. You could have posted in the NG, sent bug reports, sent suggestions, participated in the feature focus groups, done any number of things to get your opinions heard about what should have been done differently.

If you were part of the beta but didn't do any of that then sit down and shut up because you don't have anything to bitch about.

And if you weren't part of the beta then too bad....you just have to live with it. Or just stay on XP. I have been part of the beta, submitted my reports, been in the NG, and made my opinions count. Some made it into the final code, others did not. But at least I tried. You don't see me complaining about what it isn't.

Actually try using vista for more than 5 minutes and it may grow on you. Been using it 24/7 since it was given to us via connect and I like it. Has some issues, but then so did XP when it first came out. That is what WU, UE, and SP are for.

I have to agree with AT. I personally love Vista, and think it's an extreme improvement over XP. It seems that everyone just downloads the warez release for free, uses it for 5 minutes, says "oh this sucks, XP is so much better" and never test it. I've almost been using RTM for an entire month and I'm simply blown away. There is NO WAY IN HELL I will ever go back to XP.

If it's slow for you, get 2gb of RAM, and stop complaining when a program uses more than 5mb of RAM. We buy RAM for a reason....and that reason is to USE it. Sure, Vista uses about 200mb of RAM more than xp, but for me personally, it runs 2-3 times faster. I love vista, and if you hate it, try USING it for more than a few hours before giving up on UAC and giving up on the OS entirely, just because you can download it for free. Another thing I love is when a program uses 100% cpu if it's screwing up, your entire pc doesnt slow down, because it's GPU based. You can still zip around and work on your other programs and it won't slow down. My computer isn't the fastest, but this sure is a hell of an improvement over XP. I've left Vista up for almost 2 weeks without a reboot and it works perfectly, still as fast as it was 2 weeks ago. The same cannot be said for XP, it's always slowing down. Everytime I get on my laptop with XP, I shudder at having to use that slow OS.

To the original poster, if Vista is so depressing why did you insist on installing it on ALL of your machines? Must not be that depressing if you are running it on everything.

because for my job I have to be up to date i work in IT, i have to move to it eventually I might as well do it now. I also have to use office 2007(which I do like). But Vista seems to offer me NOTHING at least the move from 2k to XP gave me cleartype and Zip handling which were 2 tools i found very use full. I have found nothing in Vista to be either handy or use full....other then the addicting Chess game.

because for my job I have to be up to date i work in IT, i have to move to it eventually I might as well do it now. I also have to use office 2007(which I do like). But Vista seems to offer me NOTHING at least the move from 2k to XP gave me cleartype and Zip handling which were 2 tools i found very use full. I have found nothing in Vista to be either handy or use full....other then the addicting Chess game.

I don't know how you can ignore integrated system wide search and the new Start menu. These are two *huge* productivity boons for me.

I am very impress with the improvement with the start up time. I'm only running at 1.25ghz, 1.25gb ram and compare to XP, Vista is a lot quicker. I'm wondering how well does it run w/ my slow 1ghz 128mb laptop.

I am very impress with the improvement with the start up time. I'm only running at 1.25ghz, 1.25gb ram and compare to XP, Vista is a lot quicker. I'm wondering how well does it run w/ my slow 1ghz 128mb laptop.

It won't install on a 128 MB machine. At least not with a DVD.

well its runs a little faster ok fine, but its not a LOT faster then XP on my machine, and i never use the search tool anyway, it had much of a use to me. the start menu i just find has become a bigger hell, I would much prefer if it had an option to function in the "classic" way.

Well let me give you this. I am a developer too. Before you read the rest of the post note that I am an MCSD and I work with microsoft products.

Having said that, Vista is an exceptionally well designed system from a developer point of view. If you are a developer, you can use the WPF. And if you don't think WPF is cool, well that means you don't care about user experience.

WCF is INTEGRATED into the OS, meaning you don't need a frikking framework to make it work when you deploy.

Drivers dont run at kernel level, meaning you'll see less BSOD.

There's much more. Just read about it!

oh i know for networkers and developers it is a great OS. but for the average joe power user it offers nothing

So first you said you were a developer....now you're "average joe"? Make up your mind, and stop bitching already. Get off neowin and go test out Vista ;)

I think you people are just "used" to it because you have been playing with the BETAS for so long now.

then do as us, and give it a thorough use and get used to it before giving an opinion

i have used it through the betas..i still just don't like it. It both me and my friend (who are very heavy Windows lovers) agree that Vista makes it almost worth getting a mac. I'd to the point that I just about wish I had gotten one for my new laptop instead of the PC.

Hoe about this....stop your bitching. Its an operating system. It is what is, Microsoft did what they had to do to make deadlines and get the OS to where they wanted it to be.

If you don't like it, then tough ****, don't use it. But these threads about people complaing about how vista doesn't have this or how vista doesn't have that and I am so depressed about it or so ****ed about it is gotten so annoying.

Live with it, it isn't going to change.

What realy gets me is when people bitch about vista still having the 3.1 diolog boxes and they say "oh I wont ever use vista because of that" its like WTF theres a lot more to vista then a few older style GUI ellemts.

Vista don't offer anything for some users, get offer it.

If someone don't like Vista accept it, I know its hard pill

to swallow for some of the arrogant Microsoft fanBois here,

they'll be in a state of depression when it turns out to

not to be such a success. :rolleyes:

OK maybe depressed isn't the right word to use, but when i boot up my laptop now its like..."*sigh* ok now its time to use Windows again..." there is no excitement at all. When i get to a XP or 2k machine its like "Cool, computers w00t". and I'm typically the guy that excited about new toys/software/tech stuff. Vista just leaves me with an empty feeling. Like I got it...but it doesn't give me anything in return.

This has probably been said, but if you don't like it, don't use it.

I think people are disappointed because MS promised a bunch of stuff and didn't deliver. I haven't used Vista but it seems ok.

It's almost like the hype that surrounded the PS3. I think that your average consumer will like it though. I think it's okay but not perfect. I think we should all wait a while before we make final judgments though... XP wasn't mature for a while either.