Depressed about Vista?

I think people are disappointed because MS promised a bunch of stuff and didn't deliver. I haven't used Vista but it seems ok.

They didn't promise anything. Longhorn started out with a set of features. When it became clear that those features couldn't be developed in time to deliver a full OS then microsoft had to start making decisions as to what to keep and what to remove.

Unless I am missing something, nothing was ever promised. The underlying core technology is there.

Well let me give you this. I am a developer too. Before you read the rest of the post note that I am an MCSD and I work with microsoft products.

Having said that, Vista is an exceptionally well designed system from a developer point of view. If you are a developer, you can use the WPF. And if you don't think WPF is cool, well that means you don't care about user experience.

WCF is INTEGRATED into the OS, meaning you don't need a frikking framework to make it work when you deploy.

Yes, vista glass is really nice and WPF is really nice.

But as a web developer, it dosen't help me.

Windows 98 Gave me the 'My Briefcase', back at those days CD burners cost alot, So syncrhonization with floppy was great - And i wish vista had the same feature for USB drives.

Windows XP/2000 Gave me reliability, i can't remember when was the last time that my computer showed BSOD.

Vista ? What about it. nothing.

Maybe I'm wrong - i didn't used it yet, but as i see it from reviews, there is nothing for me in it.

i find vista pretty good though i find it confusing to navigate around the os and that random bsod i get no time to read it it happens all so fast the only thing i find good about is u can change the quality of the sound playback..

And if you weren't part of the beta then too bad....you just have to live with it. Or just stay on XP.

Thank heaven you were NOT a part of car production or any other item people would use everyday.

"You didn't crash-test this car - so STFU and drive! No ABS? Seats not comfortable? Handling sucks?

You just have to live with that. Or just keep walking."

At least with cars there are more than TWO choices (if you think about Windows: XP/Vista )

I like everyone else was very excited about Vista coming out back when it was Longhorn..but is anyone else depressed about the final product? I know the underlaying technologies are great and that Vista will get better when it is actually release and in the few months following...but am I the only one that isn't very impressed with it out of the box? @ this point in time I don't see it offering me as a web developer anything that XP or 2000 already doesn't.

It works flawlessly on my machines so I'm not complaining about that..I don't know..something just bugs/depresses me about it. Maybe I just over hyped myself about it.

Haven't had any interest in Vista what so ever since day one. Agree, my W2K or XP or Linux machines can do anything I need it to. I'm not a "keep up with the jone's" type person, so don't gives a rats patoochie about HAVING to have the latest & greatest of everything for absolutely no reason at all! :no: :wacko:

I don't know how you can ignore integrated system wide search and the new Start menu. These are two *huge* productivity boons for me.

For me totally useless...

I think you people are just "used" to it because you have been playing with the BETAS for so long now.

Microsoft actually shiped beta 2... :laugh:

I'm a developer. ASP .NET and windows forums. The first thing I like about Vista is the reponse time, projects open right now, they are horribly slow in XP.

Everything is snappier, add in a few new bells and whistles and it's enough for me to move to it.

I think your machine is pretty big crap...or you just didn't take care of it. My XP is still faster then Vista, especially boot up, and shut down process.

To make story short...Vista is like Norton System Works 2007 if you know what i mean :wacko:

It's fine for me, I personally like it as it runs flawlessly on my laptop. Still having a few minor issues: IE, Vista doesn't power down the laptop when shutting down, A driver issue with my TV Card, but the brand is obscure, so I'm not surprised. (No big deal anyway, I can get a new one). Other than that, Vista works pretty good for me.

Sure, with all the new features that Microsoft promised to deliver, never came, but m'eh. I don't care much for it. Vista's got better coding system, and better security feature. I'm happy with it, and I'm sure there will be new features to come in the future for Vista. Look at how XP started out.

For me Vista is just fast and almost 30 to 60% faster on my hardware then XP the same hardware. XP 2200+ with 1.5gb Ram and a FX 5600 graphics card, i have had no issues with vista at all it has always been better then XP for me on my machine.

now for the peaple who say the new startmenu offers nothing and it is crap. How so, i can open it and type in justa few letters ofa program and hit the enter button and it opens i dont have to go throgh the list and list of programs on my system ina damn Panning view anymore on XP Vista saves alot of dang time for alot of things.. Now i will admit in ealry builds of vista prior to RC1 i had minor slow downs when indexing but that now has been fixed in builds Rc1 to RTMFinale so hey Vista works for me and offers more to me then my eye can see so it just be awile longer before we will see a program show us what vista really can do. anyways i plan on buying Vista UE when it is all out and running it on my machine . i just think the peaple who hate vista just havent used it and or have used it but purposly on slower hardware with non compatable drivers and base ther opions on that and at the same time peaple just cant understand why microsoft has all this new technolagies running vista and and acually takeing advantage of are hardware ( Pepole must be crazy) mmmm Maby they watched to much H.R Huff and Stuff?

Thank heaven you were NOT a part of car production or any other item people would use everyday.

"You didn't crash-test this car - so STFU and drive! No ABS? Seats not comfortable? Handling sucks?

You just have to live with that. Or just keep walking."

At least with cars there are more than TWO choices (if you think about Windows: XP/Vista )

Yeah, but Windows isn't a car..

As was said elsewhere: A computer is an infinitely programmable software platform, while a car is just a vehicle designed to take you (and your loot) from point A to point B. The two share no similarities whatsoever and as such the analogy makes no sense. Just say no to car analogies. ;)

If you try to make a point, try making it without making a tired car analogy.

As for your complaint, Vista will have patches released for it, like the other operating systems, and if it's still not good enough, you're free to use whatever the heck else you want.

It's fine for me, I personally like it as it runs flawlessly on my laptop. Still having a few minor issues: IE, Vista doesn't power down the laptop when shutting down, A driver issue with my TV Card, but the brand is obscure, so I'm not surprised. (No big deal anyway, I can get a new one). Other than that, Vista works pretty good for me.

Sure, with all the new features that Microsoft promised to deliver, never came, but m'eh. I don't care much for it. Vista's got better coding system, and better security feature. I'm happy with it, and I'm sure there will be new features to come in the future for Vista. Look at how XP started out.

flaw?less (fl?ls)

adj.

Being entirely without flaw or imperfection. See Synonyms at perfect.

flawless?ly adv.

flawless?ness n.

What you've described is flawless. It's good enough for you. Many will agree with you, many will disagree. It will either be 'good enough' or 'not good enough'. I'm leaning towards the latter camp.

I personally prefer using Vista to XP. I like the way it looks and find it very easy to use.

same. it's visually stunning and pleasing to the eye. i've had the rtm build for about 2 days now and i'm finding no major complaints thus far :D

i spent 40minutes trying to get Vista to connect to my universities wireless network...i eventually said screw it and plunged into the wire. How can you make something "easier" and it ends up making me absolutely clueless as to how to get the damn network to work? in XP/2k it takes me 2-3min depending on how out of whack the network settings are and how slow the net is going that day to give me an IP. Vista gave me NO feel back other then telling me i was connected yet i had no network, and i had open TWO OF THE SAME SCREEN AND THE ONLY CHANGE WAS ON LET ME DISCONNECT THE OTHER HAD THE BUTTON GRAYED OUT FOR NO REASON!!

same. it's visually stunning and pleasing to the eye. i've had the rtm build for about 2 days now and i'm finding no major complaints thus far :D

That's very relative...I find it very ugly looking OS. so ugly i have to switch to windows classic looks and feel.

i spent 40minutes trying to get Vista to connect to my universities wireless network...i eventually said screw it and plunged into the wire. How can you make something "easier" and it ends up making me absolutely clueless as to how to get the damn network to work? in XP/2k it takes me 2-3min depending on how out of whack the network settings are and how slow the net is going that day to give me an IP. Vista gave me NO feel back other then telling me i was connected yet i had no network, and i had open TWO OF THE SAME SCREEN AND THE ONLY CHANGE WAS ON LET ME DISCONNECT THE OTHER HAD THE BUTTON GRAYED OUT FOR NO REASON!!

I can't wait for Service Pack 2 for Windows XP X64 Edition. Microsoft released a release candidate SP2 like a week ago. It's almost completed. Windows XP X64 Edition is the best OS Microsoft ever released, and with SP2 will be even better. Vista as far as performance is killed by Windows XP X64 Edition by any means. That's my OS of choice and i'm running it happily since, and it is the platform for the 2007, 2008, till new OS release...screw Vista.

Office 2007 runs great on it, Windows Defender, Windows Media Player, Internet Explorer 7...it all runs great, and much better then on Vista, plus perfectly does gaming. I own 8800GTX SLI, and i will have no dx10.0 but there will be no dx10.0 games next year. IF somebody thinks Crysis is dx10.0, he or she smoked crack. It's done around dx9.0c and visually there are no differences between dx9.0c and dx10.0, plus i can't stand openAL. It sounds far worse then using directSound under DX9.0c API. Microsoft knew that if they bring SM4.0 etc to Windows XP platform...Vista would be the big failure. They made Windows XP X64 Edition so good, that it is the biggest competition to Vista which is OMG total crap.

I can't wait for Service Pack 2 for Windows XP X64 Edition. Microsoft released a release candidate SP2 like a week ago. It's almost completed. Windows XP X64 Edition is the best OS Microsoft ever released, and with SP2 will be even better. Vista as far as performance is killed by Windows XP X64 Edition by any means. That's my OS of choice and i'm running it happily since, and it is the platform for the 2007, 2008, till new OS release...screw Vista.

Office 2007 runs great on it, Windows Defender, Windows Media Player, Internet Explorer 7...it all runs great, and much better then on Vista, plus perfectly does gaming. I own 8800GTX SLI, and i will have no dx10.0 but there will be no dx10.0 games next year. IF somebody thinks Crysis is dx10.0, he or she smoked crack. It's done around dx9.0c and visually there are no differences between dx9.0c and dx10.0, plus i can't stand openAL. It sounds far worse then using directSound under DX9.0c API. Microsoft knew that if they bring SM4.0 etc to Windows XP platform...Vista would be the big failure. They made Windows XP X64 Edition so good, that it is the biggest competition to Vista which is OMG total crap.

Can you concisely explain why x64 edition is so good? What are its advantages over the 32 bit version as well as Windows Vista? Why does a Service Pack excite you so much?

You're going to be eating your words regarding DX10 and Crysis come 2007.

Oh, and can you post a picture of your 8800GTX SLI?

Can you concisely explain why x64 edition is so good? What are its advantages over the 32 bit version as well as Windows Vista? Why does a Service Pack excite you so much?

You're going to be eating your words regarding DX10 and Crysis come 2007.

Oh, and can you post a picture of your 8800GTX SLI, cuz i am jealous

Cuz, it is 64-bit.

32-bit 4 gig ram physical

64-bit.. alot more

32bit 2 gigs ram process memory limitation

64-bit ... alot more

If 64-bit goes main stream.. it means we get more ram for cheaper price.. already companies are begining to sell 2x2gigs instead of 2x1gigs.. yay

dx10 is a sell point for vista.

Vista is going to requires alot more physical ram. So 64-bit vista is going to be better in time .. couple years. Most of your end users should get 32-bit so more of their old software will be compatable.

Vista forces software venders to follow a set of rules so their products will work correctly. I am going to try fraps when i get home on my 32-bit vista and 64-bit Since their software breaks alot of rules, and see if it works.

I would also like to see a picture of a 1200 dollar videocard setup

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2) Release Candidate (RC) is a cumulative service pack that provides the latest updates, security and stability enhancements, in addition to new features, feature updates and utility updates to the Windows Server 2003 operating system. SP2 helps secure your server and improve system reliability, security, and stability thereby ensuring the highest level of readiness to meet the ever increasing demands of today?s server operating systems.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Edited by Xsabin

You know I was REALLY excited about Vista too, then I became a tester of it, and thought well, its nice and all, but its nothing EXTREMELY special.. Just looks different...

So I think its just the feeling we get, we expected it to stand out and speak to us in every way but it doesn't.

I read this months issue of PCGAMER mag though (no.156) and read about Vista and the future of PC Gaming and now I have gotten HUGELY excited about Vista again. I know it isn't going to be anything up front that makes it awesome, its going to be in the future, and how much better games are going to run on Vista and some of the features for games, its going to be like having a PCXbox360 and THAT my friends is what I am excited about

Does anyone have this problem when right-clicking the speaker icon and choosing "Open Volume Mixer"

post-50479-1165020813.jpg

Thanks.

The particular feature is very useless if you have any sort of surround sound system of speakers, cause volume is control on hardware level while the volume in Windows is set always to highest value.

The particular feature is very useless if you have any sort of surround sound system of speakers, cause volume is control on hardware level while the volume in Windows is set always to highest value.

What the hell are you talking about?