• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Depressed about Vista?

freak_power    0

About 7.1 surround sound system with hardware controlled volume which you can set as you wish. And now Vista has openAL which sounds crappy compared to EAX 4 and DirectSound. I guess Creative will bypass that problem via software, which means more CPU work :no: and it's not gonna be easy work, otherwise Creative would already have final drivers. SLI/Crossfire will be pain in ass to make it work, because of the way Vista GUI is rendered. I'm not bitching about drivers...they will be ready, and they will make it work. I'm bitching about Vista itself. Start menu is designed so badly, that i don't even use it. :wacko:

And today i finally uninstalled trial version, and went back to Windows XP. Enough was enough...goodbye Vista. I hope Microsoft releases refresh in two years.

If you don't know what i'm talking...i don't blame ya because i burned $400 on this sound system...and Vista is no use there...

raskren    0

About 7.1 surround sound system with hardware controlled volume which you can set as you wish. And now Vista has openAL which sounds crappy compared to EAX 4 and DirectSound. I guess Creative will bypass that problem via software, which means more CPU work :no: and it's not gonna be easy work, otherwise Creative would already have final drivers. SLI/Crossfire will be pain in ass to make it work, because of the way Vista GUI is rendered. I'm not bitching about drivers...they will be ready, and they will make it work. I'm bitching about Vista itself. Start menu is designed so badly, that i don't even use it. :wacko:

And today i finally uninstalled trial version, and went back to Windows XP. Enough was enough...goodbye Vista. I hope Microsoft releases refresh in two years.

If you don't know what i'm talking...i don't blame ya because i burned $400 on this sound system...and Vista is no use there...

You just keep reiterating the same unintelligent babble over and over again without really saying anything.

I still have no clue what you're saying about with regard to audio. My 2.1 speakers have hardware controlled volume too; it's the volume knob on the right speaker.

Hak Foo    0

They didn't promise anything. Longhorn started out with a set of features. When it became clear that those features couldn't be developed in time to deliver a full OS then microsoft had to start making decisions as to what to keep and what to remove.

You may say they didn't promise anything strictly, but if customers know they're working on something, either through demos or leaks, they DO build expectations.

There's also the fact that what we expected was groundbreaking, and a lot of the real groundbreaking features-- WinFS for one-- disappeared along the way.

Windows 4.0 (95) brought the masses 32-bit computing (to a degree).

Windows 5.0 (2000) brought a solid NT basis to the masses.

Windows 6.0 (Vista) brought transparent windows and a system which tries to protect you from yourself.

Maybe the new features are under-exploited at this time. But I want Vista to provide me the same amount of wow factor I'd get from any other $150-400 computer expenditure out of the box.

kyosuken    6

Err there is "NO" trial version... :D, now from the start you have always been against Vista, so why bother, just keep with XP (as it sounds you did) and don't bother whining about Vista, I don't have access to RTM (my former company's msdn has expired :p) and still using RC1, even if RTM is better i will just wait to buy it in january !

Speaking about RC1 (i hope this behavior doesn't happen with RTM) it tends to "break" alone for some reason... like trying to install new peripherals wouldn't work (i fixed that by deleting all the oemX.inf in the windows\inf folder) or... WMP that has a "not enough memory" dialog box when trying to play DVD (and in MC it works perfectly) and i have 2 GB memory.. worse when i tried another install on a second partition fresh install i still got the error Oo... oh well (nb: it used to work but something happened i guess)

Anyway it's still my favorite OS to use, not perfect but i feel pretty comfortable with it.

notuptome2004    154

The particular feature is very useless if you have any sort of surround sound system of speakers, cause volume is control on hardware level while the volume in Windows is set always to highest value.

That particular feature is caled Per-application volume control and it works very well and is not useless. evan when i had my SBA2 card from creative i used that here in vista to control what applications i wish to have had volume, it has nothing at all to do with hardware layer of things it is about the OS the feature in witch vista provides and nothing more.

1Frothy    0

I'm not depressed about Vista - it's an operating system and not my whole life. ;) I think Microsoft with the help of TAP and Beta Testers shipped a solid product with a decent feature set - not as impressive as they were hoping for but still very impressive.

I'm quite happy with Vista and with SP1 Beta Testing just around the corner and Windows Vienna coming next; I'm excited :D

SionicIon    76

I think people just get generally more cynical... well, not cynical exactly, just less easily excited as you get older.

When I was younger, I found the prospect of new things coming out quite exciting, but now, I still look forward to things, but products are just products. I'm looking forward to going to the Oxford Street Wii launch next week, and I'm looking forward to getting my Wii... but I'm not exploding with excitement about it; it's just a console.

Vista has been a long time coming, it would be difficult to sustain excitement about it, it's just an OS afterall. I think it's also to do with the fact that Windows XP (and to a lesser extent, 2000) have been the first versions of Windows that people have actually been satisfied with. W2K/XP were significantly improved over 98 because it was the first version that felt stable, which is the most important feature of an OS.

no its not age, im 13 and im not excited, dont feel old, just imagine ur 18 again! :D

What did you want it to offer you as a web developer? As I understand, the proprietary Windows apps for web design are to be ignored for their simplicity. What exactly are you referring to? Was Vista supposed to offer more web developing features :looks around for everyone's expression:, did I miss something? Because as I recall it hasn't yet 100% turned into Mac OSX! :unsure:

IIS7.0 could've been better... :(

The change from 98 to XP was a big one for me, So many new tools to use and the like. Now my problem is, When people ask me, Should I upgrade to Vista from XP, I say yes, but what resins do I give. I work in I.T and I need to sale Vista when its out. But does it still get Spyware? Yer it ****ing does lol, does it go much faster then XP? Well yes if you make the system hardware better, that costs more. Does it crash less? Yer it does not crash as much, then again XP dident crash on me much lol.

All in all its alot of cash, for not to much change. I know there is under the hood changes, but people that i sale computers and windows to, dont know **** about computers. I cant go, ohhh yer you get a better network stack. there look at me strange lol.

lol, that last part cracked me up! :p :D

Well I have to say, when people that don't follow computers that closely ask me whats new I always have to think to myself. I mean:

.Net Framework/WPF --> Backported to XP

WMP11 --> Backported to XP

IE7 --> Backported to XP

Defender --> Backported to XP

Windows Sidebar --> Can be made to run on XP but there are better alternatives anyways. Might be backported.

MCE --> No better than XP's (in fact I like it less, its functionally less simple to run from a tv and looks unfinished)

Windows Mail --> No Different than Outlook Express

Instant Search --> Anyone heard of Windows Desktop Search... its the same engine.

Windows Movie Maker --> They took out the ability to capture from any source (Only DV Cameras work)

RDC v6 Client --> Backported to XP

Sound Recorder --> In my opinion a downgrade

But reality is it offers a lot of improvements that I miss when I go back to XP. Security isn't missed but is always appreciated.

And Vista Group Policys make administrating Vista (when its eventually rolled out in businesses) that much easier.

I just wish it had nothing functionally inferior to XP. FTP is very buggy. Rename a file to the same name as a file already in the directory and it will delete the old one, no prompt. Try deleting a file in FTP and after being logged into the FTP server for a while it will stop working (haven't figured out what triggers this)

Think of it this way, Windows Vienna is a long way to go, so hold your breath for IE8, WMP12, and incredible updates to Windows Media Center and stuff like that in SP1, and incredible ultimate extras, i would hold my breath especially for ultimate extras since the beta for it is gonna be here in a week or 2! a lot of stuff now is vista ready and available to xp and 2k, soon it will be vienna ready and available to vista and xp, xp started out with windows media player 8, and then service pack 2 had windows media player 9, and then came 10 and 11 is the not meant for xp but backported to xp, just like windows 2000 wasnt meant for windows media player 8 or 9 or whatever, 9 was the last for windows 2000 and no more were backported, I'm sure WMP12 won't be backported to XP like WMP11 was, its just a cycle, everything will change over time, people will stop using XP, and stuff wont be backported to XP and vista will be more useful! just be happy with wat you got now and then wait and XP will be a thing in the past! :D

Edited by techdude6371

mluu510    0

omfg, don't get me started. vista BLOWS so far! we waited 5yrs for piece of sh!t? it's nothing more than shadow effect windows and transparency. the worst part is how badly they're implemented! i really hate the transparency and the window borders ridiculously THICK! worst is the way they organized their windows menu! the buttons are all over the places and make no sense, especially in IE7. i am going back to xp once my 30days has expired. VISTA BLOWS!

chimera963    0

Yeah, I haven't seen the final product but I tried one of the later betas, close to the RC. I just minimized windows and fiddled with the glass for a few minutes. Checked out the weird new games and not much else, then went back to my XP hdd.

From what I've seen, it's nothing really interesting and definitly not needed. The only ones who will NEED vista at the moment is gamers. Kind of a dull release if you ask me.

Alan Zeino    0

i have used it through the betas..i still just don't like it. It both me and my friend (who are very heavy Windows lovers) agree that Vista makes it almost worth getting a mac. I'd to the point that I just about wish I had gotten one for my new laptop instead of the PC.

After reading through all of your posts, I have come up with the following conclusion:

No one cares what you think. Microsoft doesn't care what someone on a forum thinks, and Neowin doesn't care what someone with 'IT Knowledge' thinks about an OS. Have a cry about it somewhere else.

notuptome2004    154

omfg, don't get me started. vista BLOWS so far! we waited 5yrs for piece of sh!t? it's nothing more than shadow effect windows and transparency. the worst part is how badly they're implemented! i really hate the transparency and the window borders ridiculously THICK! worst is the way they organized their windows menu! the buttons are all over the places and make no sense, especially in IE7. i am going back to xp once my 30days has expired. VISTA BLOWS!

omfg i didnt know your comment could BLOW so much, If i myself wanted just the look of windows Vista i would just run windows XP with With window blinds and get a half assed version look of windows Vista.

underneath windows Vista is a large amount of new technolagy that replaces all of the older technolagy that run windows XP, sutch new things as as Windows presentation founddation the graphics sub system new display driver model that runs the new look in hardware. New Audio sound archtecture system. new network stack, and oh how about just every bit of Kernal code has been rebuilt along with tose technolagies.

So i will say this WINDOWS VISTA IS MORE THEN JUST THE DARN LOOKS. Windows vista has alot that is new and allows game developers and program appllication Developers to do things previously not possable in windows.

Mr White    0
underneath winelieve medows Vista is a large amount of new technolagy that replaces all of the older technolagy

se

Yada Yada Yada............... the same old response. Even though it

don't seem to run any better it does, because all the changes are

under the hood.......... Go ask Micosoft if you don't believe me.

If you cannot trust MS who can you trust....... :rolleyes:

themaster    0

Sorry, if I'm reviving a slightly old thread.. but I felt like commenting cause I didn't hear this mentioned.. (having used vista I would say I'm not super excited.. I do like the new Terminal Services though)

I don't know about anyone else but in some ways Windows Vista or (v4 of 2000) feels a tad bit like Windows ME (windows v3/4 of Windows 95)

The security prompts are annoying.. yes.. Windows Media Player and multiple monitors has been hellish on me.. and gaming is non-existent.. (trying to give up games anyway)

But this OS in some ways feels like the cheapness upgrade that Windows ME was (if you remember back then Microsoft took the icons from Windows 2000 and slapped them on Windows ME and called that a improvement) it's now largely regarded by the public today as one of the worst OS's

Anyway.. I want to say I like one thing generally about Vista and that is that they have almost finally made My Documents or moving data completely possible without (registry hacks)

but the failed in one aspect.. as far as I can tell it's not possible to move your Data folder completely without registry hacks.. however you can hit My Documents, Pictures, Downloads, Saved Games (and move those all individually) and this aspect I like cause keeping your data in all the same place in important (in that respect too Windows Mail (outlook express 7?) can now change directory folders through the interface and not through the registry that is a improvement as well)

I will continue to evaluate Vista myself for at least 30-90 days because like some of you I get paid to support people that use it and have to know it, in and out.. but so far it's been more hell then heaven.. (and that hell for me has been existing 2k/xp programs, printer support and Divx/Xvid/DVD playing)

Also and unless I missed something why do they have msconfig (editing) show up on the system tray every time you bootup after you've removed useless background programs.. this is another dumb design flaw..

Edited by themaster