• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

"Drug Addict" Please Read.

Would an addict flush his stash if told he was an addict; to prove he was not an addict?  

156 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

M1ke    0

Vote vote vote people!!!

Thanks.

ambiance    67

Throwing away isn't enough and I used to say the same thing to myself with weed. I loved the time I spent with it, but it only alleviated my problems and wasn't helping my mental health. I haven't smoked any for three weeks and am trying to quit smoking starting tomorrow. I am not hear to preach anything, to each his own. Depending on any recreational substance daily is an addiction whether you believe it or not.

M1ke    0

An addiction is a NEED

If he can stop any time it's not a NEED, it's just a social drug like drinking.

Jon 5    1

^ Well if it's not a need then why does he do it daily? I think he does need it.

Erich    6

The first question yes... certain personalities + certain addictions can spawn alot of refutal in the addicted party. More seriously (or maybe on the road to recovery, I don't know), they refute their own addiction.

Second question is too vague. Some people have the ability to be a chain smoker then stop cold turkey. That doesn't mean they were addicted, that doesn't mean they weren't. It just means they stopped. BUT until that person actually follows through on the action of quitting, I would say smoking a joint a day could probably constitute an addiction.

Lastly, weed doesn't spawn a physical addiction, but anything and everything can spawn a mental addiction. It is in my belief that anything that can alter an emotional state is very easily mentally addictive.

User6060    346

I think to be addicted you have had to have tried to quit once and have failed ;) otherwise its just a life choice. kinda like people who drink coffee everyday, etc.

An addict who throws out his stash to prove a point is just stupid. Unless you're planning on quitting something for good its not wise to waste something you just spent money on.

Laura    146

^ I think being unable to stop even if you haven't yet tried is also grounds to call someone an addict. Only they will truly know how strong it's pull is.

Some people will throw away their stash to prove they aren't an addict, some won't. Out of those people, some will actually be addicts and some won't. It's not grounds for deciding!

Smoking every day but being able to stop completely isn't addiction. I think weed is psychologically addictive though. I find that if I have some every week for a while, it's kinda tough to stop. That only lasts a week or two though but it's still a bit iffy.

ramesees    348

In order to be classed as an addict he would need have a total dependence on the substance to the point that it becomes necessary to use it each day in order to function properly. So I voted "no" to the second question as if they are able to stop whenever they like, its more of a habit rather than an addiction, its a mere bolt-on or added extra to what they do each day.

I voted "I'm not sure" to the first part of the poll, as each addict will no doubt react in different ways depending on the substance and the length of time they have been taking it, or have been addicted to it. There will be no one course of predetermined action, pretty much in the same way that different people react differently to medicines or alcohol.

And as other people have posted, just flushing the stash doesnt prove anything, as there is nothing to stop the addict from going out and scoring more gear. If they are addicted then the dependence they have on their drug of choice will no doubt cause them to do this.

=NickJ=    0

What's the point in throwing away money? Give it to your mates to look after (one's you know aren't gonna take it) and then sell it on

Panacik    27

Throwing away isn't enough and I used to say the same thing to myself with weed. I loved the time I spent with it, but it only alleviated my problems and wasn't helping my mental health. I haven't smoked any for three weeks and am trying to quit smoking starting tomorrow. I am not hear to preach anything, to each his own. Depending on any recreational substance daily is an addiction whether you believe it or not.

This sounds all so familiar.

I gave up pot and a year later gave up smoking. Its been 2 years since my last joint and 1 year since my last cig.

I dont miss the ciggies any more, however i get strong cravings for pot when i drink, so i dont tend to drink all that much all to often any more.

I also miss being stoned, but because i know how it made me when i smoked it, i resist temptation and have not fallen yet.

I think pot is very addictive in a mental way rather than [physical, but addiction is addition.

+Human.Online    8,294

Wow, they can stop when they want!? Sure of that, or lying to self?

M1ke    0

Yeah sure of that thats why the question is stated that way the person can stop whenever he/she has before and it's not like they need it or they die.

riahc3    440

I don't know why smoking natural plants is considered bad/addict but oh well...

+Human.Online    8,294
it's not like they need it or they die.

No - but people who say "I don't need weed/coke/alcohol/cigarettes, I can stop any time" are often full of it, and only lying to themselves. They may not die, but they usually return.

teh_apple    0

This sounds all so familiar.

I gave up pot and a year later gave up smoking. Its been 2 years since my last joint and 1 year since my last cig.

I dont miss the ciggies any more, however i get strong cravings for pot when i drink, so i dont tend to drink all that much all to often any more.

I also miss being stoned, but because i know how it made me when i smoked it, i resist temptation and have not fallen yet.

I think pot is very addictive in a mental way rather than [physical, but addiction is addition.

I've never found pot to be that mentally addictive. Though I can see how its possible, I believe that its only mentally addictive to those who have the personality to become addicted.

M1ke    0

Don't take the question for anything more it's plain and clear no drifting from it. He/she can stop they have before, they just do it socially like drinking.

Chicane-UK    674

I don't know why smoking natural plants is considered bad/addict but oh well...

Stuff like deadly nightshade is natural but you sure as hell wouldn't wanna ingest that! :)

jackwanders    0

I think to be addicted you have had to have tried to quit once and have failed ;) otherwise its just a life choice. kinda like people who drink coffee everyday, etc.

No, that's just when you realize you're an addict. You're still an addict before you try to quit, you just write it off as your choice to continue using. It's not until you try to quit or skip a 'dose/hit/whatever' do you realize that it's no longer your choice.

teh_apple    0

Stuff like deadly nightshade is natural but you sure as hell wouldn't wanna ingest that! :)

Actually, if I had a friend that I could trust to sit around for at least three days to make sure I was okay, I would ingest a small amount of that. I think it would be extremely interesting to see dead people from the past. I know that I would enjoy talking with Hitler.

Edit: fixed misquote.

CitizenSmif    0

^ Well if it's not a need then why does he do it daily? I think he does need it.

I smoke weed almost everyday, when the city goes dry and I cant get hold of it, I'm fine.

Mike Frett    34

I know one thing, I'm not throwing away my stash. :shifty:

Slimy    13

They always say that they "can stop whenever they want". But they don't. That's the difference between an addict and someone who is clean.

micro    106
Would you consider someone addicted to weed if they smoked once a day but could stop whenever he wanted?

Thats bull.. People who say oh i can quit any damn time i want, they are full of **** and are in denial.

My mom smokes 1 pack of cigs a day, she tells me every day that she could quit whenever she wants to, but You know and i know that she is full of ****.

You can be addicted to weed and dont come out saying that oh weed isnt addictive.. Any drug is addictive.

M1ke    0

We arent talking about heroin we're talking about just weed.... Weed is not highly addictive at all...

Smoking weed once a day to chill and relax is a habbit just like coffee drinkers in the morning.

Edited by M1ke

DMHolt57    6

Same as logging in to multiple forums daily, not addiction, just habit. Some good, some bad.