Why use Vista?

I genuinely don't see much in the way of advantages for generic office desktops other than an improved roll out / imaging environment (which I haven't seen in action yet) - other than that.. umm... bit of a head scratcher to be honest!

Agreed.

Get the 64bit Version, then you can tell him he has to upgrade all the hardware too too support 64bit computer, and productiviy will be twice as fast therefore profits should increase by 50%, and so should your salary :D.

However, in a work environment, I would be upgrading to Office 2007 first, Vista can come a bit later ;)

Oh yeah, and send the whole staff to a week of in-house training so that they find their "save as..." button again.

Productivity! It's so much easier and faster to complete tasks.

You work in advertising, don't you? Just claims, no proof. What tasks?

Oh, yes, searching, I suppose. Then try to search a document

- in a non-indexed location where you don't have the full name, but only some letters of the filename (e.g. log_20060511thu.dat and you seach for "thu" -> does not work (this is a bug)

- in an indexed location where the filenames are also words occuring in many files (e.g. the name of the author) -> gives too many hits (this is a feature, probably)

Had both cases, ended up taking much more time than under XP, because you practically have to search everything by hand.

Oh yeah, and send the whole staff to a week of in-house training so that they find their "save as..." button again.

No pain, no gain. Once they learn it, they'll be doing everyday tasks faster ;)

I am trying to put something together for my boss to justify why we might have to upgrade to Vista but I am failing to see good reasons to.

Can you guys help ? What benefits would I gain by upgrading to Vista?

Thanks

Because it's cool!! No just kidding. I think the best approach is to put down on paper everything your company does (that uses computers) and start looking at the features in Vista. Then make a comparison between XP and Vista in each of the things your company does. For every thing that is easier, more productive, faster, and more user friendly on Vista, add a point and at the end tally up the scores and bring it to your boss.

Vista is mostly a security / networking and Developers update to Windows. The average user probably wont want Vista till the developers have started to put out cool programs for it. Least for me right now its a pointless upgrade, in 6months that might totally have changed.

Because it's cool!! No just kidding. I think the best approach is to put down on paper everything your company does (that uses computers) and start looking at the features in Vista. Then make a comparison between XP and Vista in each of the things your company does. For every thing that is easier, more productive, faster, and more user friendly on Vista, add a point and at the end tally up the scores and bring it to your boss.

That should be easy. Should fit on a Post-It note...

Is there anything you can do with Vista that you can't do with XP and 3rd party appls out there?

In other words, what is it that Vista brings to the PC that we can't get anywhere else?

The search and indexing stuff is really a productivity saver. How much time do you spend a day searching for a file? In seconds you can find the file you need even if the keyword is in the filename, the document itself, or a keyword you can personally attach to documents.

The power saving stuff actually works, as opposed to XP, where it rarely works right.

If you have no web filtering software, you can set that up with group policies.

The list goes on. Combine it with Office 2007 and you will see a huge productivity boost.

Just attend any Microsoft technet show on Vista and Office, you will easily be able to justify the costs.

I am trying to put something together for my boss to justify why we might have to upgrade to Vista but I am failing to see good reasons to.

Can you guys help ? What benefits would I gain by upgrading to Vista?

Thanks

Why not? ;)

Seriously, though, Vista does a lot for security. Between the new ways of encrypting documents and IE7's Protected Mode, Vista is far more secure than XP ever was, imo.

I don't think I can convince my boss to move to Vista...

Expense and expense... but no real benefit in his eyes..if XP works well, why waste money?

Microsoft should have just secured Windows XP correctly in the first place. Even for me as a home user, I see no benefit to running Vista except when DX10 games start rolling out (I hate Microsoft for forcing Vista on gamers) In the average business what is really needed on workstation PCs? Do you really need Vista or do you want a shiny interface?

Vista is much more secure than XP. Tell the boss it comes with more games so his employees won't be on task :p

It's simply the next Microsoft Operating System. It makes a lot of daily task much easier, whether it is searching for a file or simple office work. However, in a work environment, I would be upgrading to Office 2007 first, Vista can come a bit later ;)

:yes:

Scirwode

Well, this link may prove useful.

I overlooked a lot of the new features.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_Vista

The problem with that site, other than it being thinly-veiled marketing drivel, is that he'd still have to wade thru all that cruft, some of which is valid, but a lot of which falls more into the "Gee-its-neat-to-the-geeks-but-the-average-person-wouldn't-give-two-sh*ts" category, and try to pick out "features" that could be used to justify the full-range upheaval of what is probably a work center that is working just fine with XP.

In typical Microsoft fashion, they try to overwhelm the user with a deluge of information. Just throw words, features and everything but the kitchen sink, in the hope that no one will look too deep and see that a lot of this crap just doesn't matter.

As opposed to sifting through pages on forums?

It's his job to find out why the company should switch, it's gonna take more then a few simple answers to make a company move to a new OS that would take a decent hit on the companies budget.

If it was selling it to an average user, sure that's fine, give em a few simple answers. But companies do not like that, they want to hear things they have no idea what it is...

OP, use what you want man, I'm just pointing you out to a good source. It may take a while to go through it all in detail, took me about 30-40 minutes to do that.

The overall theme of this article is to try to come up with reasons to upgrade to vista. If the OP is having problems finding reasons to upgrade to Vista, maybe he should consider simply NOT upgrading to Vista.