PS3 nearly cracked?

it really wasn't. what was cracked was the DVD Drive firmware, which Microsoft left OUT of the Hypervisor's "supervision"...

You can still play copies on it though. Cell wont be any different, there will be some loophole or exploit.

Never once during any of my times playing Final Fantasy or Kingdom Heart on the Playstation did I have any less fun because I was playing on a Sony machine. I never once stopped playing because they promise Toy Story graphics and they weren't. Never once had any less fun because they installed rootkits on computers. Never once had any less fun because batteries exploded in laptops. Get my point?

Let's just rename Sony Computer Entertainment to Square Enix and get it over with, then? :laugh: Sony makes enough blunders for me to never want to play anything on their consoles. I don't trust the company, so their exclusive developers are missing out. I'm just glad plenty of them are jumping ship.

Piracy does sell more consoles.

You are absolutely right, and in this case that's a bad thing. Sony is losing money on every console they sell. More consoles, more losses. If piracy runs rampant, software sales will suffer. Less software sales, less money to offset the console losses. More rampant piracy, less studios willing to invest their time to making games for it.

And plus, I would say that 360 isn't a *cracked* console... It's not an easy option to replace the DVD-drive's component, and games aren't really available

Not easy as running software ... e.g. PSP

Sorry.. grammar in that was shocking, just gotten up

Chris

And plus, I would say that 360 isn't a *cracked* console... It's not an easy option to replace the DVD-drive's component, and games aren't really available

Chris

You dont replace the DVD-Drive, i dont pretend to know all the ins and outs of it but its basically a firmware update, as for the games they are all dumped ready for playing on the various p2p distribution formats.

You are absolutely right, and in this case that's a bad thing. Sony is losing money on every console they sell. More consoles, more losses. If piracy runs rampant, software sales will suffer. Less software sales, less money to offset the console losses. More rampant piracy, less studios willing to invest their time to making games for it.

Thats what ive been trying to say, but all you get is "BUT...BUT...CONSUMERS DONT CARE.....BLAH BLAH WAFFLE VERBAL DIARRHEA"

Chris

exactly. the DS is a cracked console (imo the most well-cracked console of this generation - no software mods or hardware mods AT ALL :p)... the original XBOX is a cracked console... the PS2 is a cracked console (though it requires the same complex mechanism, it has homebrew support)

the PS3 and the 360 are NOT cracked.

the Wii... there were rumors that Freeloader worked on it... if those are confirmed... then it's cracked :p

Source:Maxconsole

First movies, now the ability to add huge hdds and booting games from HDD not so far away this is a HUGE blow to Sony, its not even been out a month yet and its already on the verge of being pirated.

Sony is in big big trouble and ill bet the super ninja death lawyers are being prepped as we speak.

Its not a huge blow. Its a great blow. I myself perfer a console that I can run a media center (like XBMC) on and also I could have all my games,movies,music, etc on a replacable HDD. That to me is the console I want.

you can play pirated games on the 360. But only on older consoles because on the new ones you can't patch the DVD's firmware cause you don't have physical access to the chip (it's immersed in black glue :blink:).

That has been cracked too :whistle: Please do not try to devert the obvious; The Xbox 360 has been 100% cracked on playing pirated games. And homebrew isnt too far off either...

This is a great but risky blow to the console. It will also make the lower version the console sell more since the HDD can be upgraded and possible a Wi-Fi addon will be made (the card reader and the chrome trimming isnt really worth it IMO). This could be what Sony needed to beat Microsoft.

20gb's on a 2mbit cable connection will take OVER a day atleast.. thats not practical at all.

Im not sayin there wont be piracy but to combat that, sony will have 20gb games..

And there will always be people to buy games as well, not everyone will wait 14 hours to have a 20gb game and have a freaking BLUE RAY burner to burn them, not atleast for a year.

Chris

Oh boy, you are wrong.

Actually, some games are released before theyre even in the stores

20gb's on a 2mbit cable connection will take OVER a day atleast.. thats not practical at all.

Im not sayin there wont be piracy but to combat that, sony will have 20gb games..

And there will always be people to buy games as well, not everyone will wait 14 hours to have a 20gb game and have a freaking BLUE RAY burner to burn them, not atleast for a year.

Who said anything about downloading and burning, the whole point of this article was the ability to add large hdds and potentially play games from the HDD. Its quiet easy to get an "all you can eat" game rental service where you can hire games rip them to the HDD and send them back.

True - and if the games are not beyond 20gig - dummy files will probably infest the discs

The folks who still think Sony is in a good position are, to put it mildly, clueless. Sony has dug themselves a huge hole, and climbing out of it will require the most careful, strategic and well-executed planning going forward.

The arguments being made for the "Sony is doing the right thing with the PS3" camp basically all rely on two aspects, which are inherently connected: PS2 sales figures, and game library.

PS2 Sales Figures

The vast majority of PS2 sales came after the console hit the $200 mark, which happened less than 2 years after it's original release, at $300. Regardless of what Sony thinks, most people simply aren't willing or able to pay that much for a console. And, quite obviously, it will take much longer than 18 months to get the PS3 down to a $200 price point.

By the time Sony can get production ramped up enough to even have a distant hope of realizing reduced costs, it may be too late for some developers who currently have exclusive deals with them. A developer is simply going to go where the money is, and if the install base of the PS3 is half that of the 360, it's not going to be a tough choice at all.

It's strange, because people seem to connect past success with future promise - which couldn't be more flawed. Nintendo ruled the industry at one point, and has since traveled through the trenches as the sales loser. Why did this happen? Poor treatment of 3rd party developers, combined with an arrogant loss of touch with the average consumer. Sure does sound familiar, doesn't it?

Game Library

This facet is so closely tied with the above comments that it barely warrants mention. Basically, unless Sony can get 15 million consoles into the hands of consumers within the next 18 months, their exclusive games will find their way onto the 360. Once people realize they can play the former PS3 exclusives on cheaper (and equally capable - in the eye of the consumer) hardware, is it really going to be a tough choice? This process will snowball until Sony finds themselves in a much different position going into the next gen.

So, yes, the PS3 will ultimately sell well, based on brand recognition and loyalty, as well as backward compatibility and presumably at least some exclusive titles. However, their market share is going to be significantly reduced this time around, which will leave all 3 console makers with a relatively equal piece of the pie going into the PS4 era. At that point, HD televisions will have reached a much more appealing saturation point, and the technology behind HD gaming will be available at a much lower cost than it is now, which will allow Nintendo to jump into the fray, further complicating Sony's problems looking forward.

Addendum

Another important thing to note for the (especially early) success of the PS2 was the fact that it was a cheap DVD player. This time around, the mainstream has no interest in any form of HD media, making the BluRay "functionality" completely useless as it pertains to sales figures.

Its not a huge blow. Its a great blow. I myself perfer a console that I can run a media center (like XBMC) on and also I could have all my games,movies,music, etc on a replacable HDD. That to me is the console I want.

That has been cracked too :whistle: Please do not try to devert the obvious; The Xbox 360 has been 100% cracked on playing pirated games. And homebrew isnt too far off either...

This is a great but risky blow to the console. It will also make the lower version the console sell more since the HDD can be upgraded and possible a Wi-Fi addon will be made (the card reader and the chrome trimming isnt really worth it IMO). This could be what Sony needed to beat Microsoft.

Do you really understand what you're saying? It's like saying there's a really cool store down the street and they just installed locks that don't work. That makes me love that store. In fact, I love it so much I plan to go in and take stuff whenever I feel like it.

The only thing it will do is cause the store to eventually close down. And if you say you won't pirate games, you just want it for the "homebrew" apps, um, sure, but even if you don't, others will.

I can't be arsed to read all 5 pages of this, but suffice to say, it's not really a big issue if someone "cracks" the PS3 for HDD booting of game images...

Look at the PSP, same happened to that, and how did they fix it? FW updates. The great thing about PSP and PS3, and indeed 360, is the ability to update the OS or Firmware of the console.

However MS' biggest problem was using, effectively, a bog standard PC style DVD unit in the machine. Sony have NEVER put a normal drive in any of their machines, it's just been the actual laser mechanism.

If there is a "crack" for PS3, expect Sony to fix it within a week or so, and to also force the punters to have to upgrade by making the games REQUIRE later FW's or by adding new features to it so that the punters WANT to update.

No big deal

Why would Sony get out of the console business?! they invented the modern console business...

One would assume from your comments that you are a Microsoft Fan AND an American... Who always buys American Made, because it's better. lol

The folks who still think Sony is in a good position are, to put it mildly, clueless. Sony has dug themselves a huge hole, and climbing out of it will require the most careful, strategic and well-executed planning going forward.

The arguments being made for the "Sony is doing the right thing with the PS3" camp basically all rely on two aspects, which are inherently connected: PS2 sales figures, and game library.

PS2 Sales Figures

The vast majority of PS2 sales came after the console hit the $200 mark, which happened less than 2 years after it's original release, at $300. Regardless of what Sony thinks, most people simply aren't willing or able to pay that much for a console. And, quite obviously, it will take much longer than 18 months to get the PS3 down to a $200 price point.

By the time Sony can get production ramped up enough to even have a distant hope of realizing reduced costs, it may be too late for some developers who currently have exclusive deals with them. A developer is simply going to go where the money is, and if the install base of the PS3 is half that of the 360, it's not going to be a tough choice at all.

It's strange, because people seem to connect past success with future promise - which couldn't be more flawed. Nintendo ruled the industry at one point, and has since traveled through the trenches as the sales loser. Why did this happen? Poor treatment of 3rd party developers, combined with an arrogant loss of touch with the average consumer. Sure does sound familiar, doesn't it?

Game Library

This facet is so closely tied with the above comments that it barely warrants mention. Basically, unless Sony can get 15 million consoles into the hands of consumers within the next 18 months, their exclusive games will find their way onto the 360. Once people realize they can play the former PS3 exclusives on cheaper (and equally capable - in the eye of the consumer) hardware, is it really going to be a tough choice? This process will snowball until Sony finds themselves in a much different position going into the next gen.

So, yes, the PS3 will ultimately sell well, based on brand recognition and loyalty, as well as backward compatibility and presumably at least some exclusive titles. However, their market share is going to be significantly reduced this time around, which will leave all 3 console makers with a relatively equal piece of the pie going into the PS4 era. At that point, HD televisions will have reached a much more appealing saturation point, and the technology behind HD gaming will be available at a much lower cost than it is now, which will allow Nintendo to jump into the fray, further complicating Sony's problems looking forward.

Addendum

Another important thing to note for the (especially early) success of the PS2 was the fact that it was a cheap DVD player. This time around, the mainstream has no interest in any form of HD media, making the BluRay "functionality" completely useless as it pertains to sales figures.

Some of what you say is right on the money, and in one respect MS got it right, by NOT relying on HD. Here in Europe VERY VERY few people have HD TV's not only that but very few have any desire to get an HD TV, least of all for TV shows, and even less so for gaming.

Personally I don't have an HD display and won't do for a while, yet I will still get a PS3, there are things about it that I like, compared to the very little I like about 360.

I had a 360 from launch and sold it after six months, why ? ...

1. It is just too damn noisy, I tell you no lies it is louder than the AC unit in our house.

2. The power brick, hmmmm no thanks.

3. The UI is not very well designed, and as a result it's very cluttered and not that easy to find your way around the settings/config area.

4. The games, LIKE PS3, are so far all FPS' and sequels, Viva Looks cool, but meh.

As tough as it is for me to say it, right now, the ONLY machine that looks like offering originality is the Wii, a machine that isn't overly powerful, has a couple of design flaws, 512MB of Flash ram, NO HDD?!?, and the Sensor strip (IE not BT or Wifi).

Nintendo were the only company during the last generation to make serious money, they were the only one to consistantly make profit for their console, why is that?! they were the first to realise that they could license technology from other companies, as a result this time round, all 3 consoles have CPUs' made/designed by IBM (woo hoo IBM), they have 3rd party GPU's, so breakeven rates will be lower.

Sony have made a bit of a boob with pricing, the 60GB in Japan is actually around ?290?! I think I read somewhere due to the free pricing policy they have. But yet I still cannot get over the fact that it is still way cheaper than other machines were 20 years ago. Look at the Commodore Amiga machine, HUGELY popular in Europe and cost ?600 ($900) NEW, in todays money that's like $1500 ish!? but yet it still sold by the boat load.

I don't think price will be the killer, and I don't think Blu-Ray will either, I think software and time will tell who wins, no one can predict right now with any sort of conviction.

The PSP itself was never cracked after fw 1.5, the open source librarys it uses were cracked, e.g. LibTiff, so, i consider the PSP to be a very secure system...

The Xbox 360 has also never been cracked, sure the F/W has been replaced on the DVD drive but i its too much hassle, and still unsigned code will not run.

Maybe the PS3 will be cracked, but im sure sony arent that daft..

And homebrew isnt too far off either... , yeah ok if you say so.

its going to take more than a one trick pony firmware patch to fully crack the xbox360. will it be done my next year? doubt it very much. but good luck to those who are trying to get unsigned code to run. the scene needs home brew not piracy.

But yet I still cannot get over the fact that it is still way cheaper than other machines were 20 years ago. Look at the Commodore Amiga machine, HUGELY popular in Europe and cost ?600 ($900) NEW, in todays money that's like $1500 ish!? but yet it still sold by the boat load.

I don't think price will be the killer, and I don't think Blu-Ray will either, I think software and time will tell who wins, no one can predict right now with any sort of conviction.

Well, you have to examine the success of those older consoles while keeping in mind thattoday's> sales figures are vastly different. I couldn't begin to guess the amount of sales those systems garnered without doing some research, but I do know that gaming has never been as big as it is today, and that is thanks almost entirely due to the adoption of gaming by the mass market. Gaming enthusiasts are always willing to spend whatever they can afford on the latest-and-greatest hardware (note the PS3 eBay auctions as indesputible proof of that, or the always-high price of the latest PC video card tech). However, the mass market is the group responsible for much of Sony's sales numbers, and many of those people simply cannot afford to fork over that much for a console.

Had Nintendo gone a similar route as the other two, we may have been witness to another video game market crash that completely reorganized the industry all those years ago.

True, if they force updates on people like they did with the PSP then it could be ok! If u look at it the PSP aint fullied cracked, if ur on the newest upgrade u cant run homebrew or ISO's.....so if they do the same thing they did with the PSP, dont let people online unless they got the latest version, Game's come with the latest upgrade and needed to be installed to run the Game! Yeah it can be cracked but it takes time to crack new updates and if sony are constantly upgrading once a new crack comes out normal people wont keep up with the latest crack and the latest exploit to run the newest games online so they will just end up buyin there games and stop all the hassle!

They do it with the PSP now, you can downgrade from nearly all firmware versions now and "emulate" all the latest firmware not including 3.0 to play ISOs from 1.5.

They do it with the PSP now, you can downgrade from nearly all firmware versions now and "emulate" all the latest firmware not including 3.0 to play ISOs from 1.5.

Yes, but that's not a mass market occurance, it's only limited to those who know what they are doing.

Like a pillock I up'dd to 3, 2 days before devhook for 2.82 came out.. But am I bothered? no..

This whole "Linux on the PS3" is a load of bull****, what's the frickin' point? People want a games console, not a Geek wankfest which people can't even access the performance of the hardware.

Sony ain't being Homebrew friendly either *looks at the PSP*.

Sony have lost focus, and I hope they pay the price for being utter morons.

I can't help being a Sony fan boy, they impressed me with PS1, and they impressed me with the bulk of PS2, (software included, Ico, Shadow of the collosus and God of War to name but 3), and PSP despite the ###### up of UMD, is a great hand held, just Sony haven't been quick on the uptake in realising what potential the system has.

I can't help being a Sony fan boy, they impressed me with PS1, and they impressed me with the bulk of PS2, (software included, Ico, Shadow of the collosus and God of War to name but 3), and PSP despite the ###### up of UMD, is a great hand held, just Sony haven't been quick on the uptake in realising what potential the system has.

Dont get me wrong i think Sony did a brilliant job with the PS1, i wasnt much of a gamer till the PS1 game out and gaming hit big time. The PS2 not so much, it was big on promises but didnt really deliver and ultimately i didnt enjoy it as much as i could have. PS3 imo is more of the same, im waiting to see if they can deliver on some of those promises but it isnt looking likely, but its only been out a few weeks so ill wait and see.

As for PSP, i cant help but think its just a handheld PS2, it doesnt realy offer anything different than yet another Sony created media format pushed onto the market. PSP games consisted of scaled down PS2 games. It doesnt have the fun, quirky pick up and play for 10 mins games like the gameboy.

I'm sorry, but there are a lot of hugely fundamental problems with the PSP. The simple fact that you think of it as "great" removes much of your credibility regarding unbiased analysis. (Note that being a fan boy is different from being biased, IMO.)