• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Samsung LNS3251D LCD TV

sn00pie    2

I'm going to go take a look at this TV today and more likely if they've got it in stock buy it, but before I go I just want to make sure that it's a good TV. I'm buying this mainly for the PS3, and to watch some hockey(analog cable, I don't have a HD reciever/box). Will this be sufficient?

* Built-In ATSC Tuner

* 1366 x 768 Resolution

* 8ms Response Time

* 178 Degrees Viewing Angle

* 72% Colour Gamut

* 60Hz Progressive Scan

* SRS TruSurround XT

* **Requires HDTV Source

b2c_l_lns2651c.jpg

http://www.samsung.com/products/tv/lcdtv/lns3251dxxaa.asp

:) Thanks alot!

Edited by Game

bangbang023    31

Yeah, it's a good set though you'll be a bit bummed with the quality of analog cable on it, as with any other lcd

Jason S.    1,503

PS3 and that resolution makes me :(

PS3 has Blu Ray... get the 1080p set!

I bought the LNS4095D from Frys.com, although im still waiting for it. $1700.

now that i clicked the link, i realize that this one is a 32" set, while the 4095D is 40"

sn00pie    2

Yeah, it's a good set though you'll be a bit bummed with the quality of analog cable on it, as with any other lcd

Thanks for the quick response, I'm sorry for constantly bugging you about the TV questions, lol!

I don't really mind that the quality of the analog cable is low, as long as the Playstation 3 looks good on it, because that's going to be my primary reason for buying it. :)

I've read that 1080p doesn't really make that much of a difference at sizes like 32" and I don't have alot of space in my room so 32" is the best size for me.

bangbang023    31

PS3 and that resolution makes me :(

PS3 has Blu Ray... get the 1080p set!

I bought the LNS4095D from Frys.com, although im still waiting for it. $1700.

now that i clicked the link, i realize that this one is a 32" set, while the 4095D is 40"

Would you stop this nonsense with 1080p. First of all, he's getting a 32" LCD and none exist in 1080p resolution. Second of all, even at 40", 1080p is useless. Thirdly, not all ps3 games are going to be 1080p. Should I continue? 1080p is simply not needed. You're frowning over nothing.

BigDaddy5    0

When I worked at an electronics store, we couldn't keep this set in stock. I saw 1 return on it, because the guy was ****ed at the analog cable quality. He wanted a different Samsung LCD. We tried to explain to him that it wasn't going to matter, but he would have none of it. Oh, well, I never saw from him after that, so either he was too embarrassed to admit it, or was actually happier.

But for the other's, nobody returned it. I think it was one of the nicest sets in that size. Great colors, good black response, and just an overall great picture.

dleiva    0

I have the 27" version of this that I use as my main PC monitor and also watch some TV (through Win MCE). Love the brightness and colors.

Jason S.    1,503

Would you stop this nonsense with 1080p. First of all, he's getting a 32" LCD and none exist in 1080p resolution. Second of all, even at 40", 1080p is useless. Thirdly, not all ps3 games are going to be 1080p. Should I continue? 1080p is simply not needed. You're frowning over nothing.

you'll laugh at this statement in 5 years. 1080p is the future of HD afaik. i see no reason to buy a 720p TV unless you can afford to buy a new tv every few years. i cant afford that... i want this tv to last 10 years. in fact, ive never bought a tv before. the one i use now was a present from my parents when i was like 8.

why is 1080p useless at 40"? i saw a blu ray playing on the tv and it looked incredible.

1080p simply isnt needed like 2GB of RAM wasnt needed 3 yrs ago, like 256MB video ram wasnt needed 3years ago, like 750GB isnt needed today.

in the end, i realize that 1080p doesnt exist at 32", and if you dont care about 1080p then that Samsung tv is great. ive seen plenty of 720p broadcasts on them and it's wonderful.

bangbang023    31

you'll laugh at this statement in 5 years. 1080p is the future of HD afaik. i see no reason to buy a 720p TV unless you can afford to buy a new tv every few years. i cant afford that... i want this tv to last 10 years. in fact, ive never bought a tv before. the one i use now was a present from my parents when i was like 8.

why is 1080p useless at 40"? i saw a blu ray playing on the tv and it looked incredible.

1080p simply isnt needed like 2GB of RAM wasnt needed 3 yrs ago, like 256MB video ram wasnt needed 3years ago, like 750GB isnt needed today.

in the end, i realize that 1080p doesnt exist at 32", and if you dont care about 1080p then that Samsung tv is great. ive seen plenty of 720p broadcasts on them and it's wonderful.

Why doesn't 1080p matter on a 40" test? Because bored employees tend to experiment and no one can tell the difference between 720p, 1080i, 1080p on a 40" set.

In five years, we'll still be where we stand now, with no 1080p broadcasts and until 1080p is the most prominent broadcast signal, 1080p sets are a luxury item. There is no "future of HD" as HD is now and 720p/1080i are here to stay.

Also, comparing computers to this topic is useless because it's an entirely different thing. In this case, cable companies and satellite companies are struggling to find room to fit in 720p/1080i broadcasts. Where do you think 1080p is going to fit in? Simply put, it's not. Hell, at the moment, they aren't even sure they want to chnage the ATSC standard to include compression methods to better accommodate the resolution. Most people agree that even if they do make the changes, broadcast 1080p, even when the bandwidth is available, won't occur for quite some time because a very small percentage of the tuners/sets on the market can even interpret the signal.

The only time 1080p makes any sense is when you're looking at going 50" or larger and, in that case, the higher resolution will make a noticeable difference especially since any set with a good de-interlacer will give you 1080p quality from 1080i broadcasts.

Jason S.    1,503

let bygones be bygones i guess.

in the end, i like to know that i have the option of running 1080p. broadcasts or not.

bangbang023    31

let bygones be bygones i guess.

in the end, i like to know that i have the option of running 1080p. broadcasts or not.

And that's fine and dandy. My problem lies in the fact that every time someone on here wants to buy a 720p set, the 1080p zealots come out preaching how crucial it is. Buying a 720p set doesn't mean your new TV is out dated and I just wish to make sure people understand this.

_kane81    9

^

yep :nod

sn00pie    2

Sounds awesome, I'm gonna go take a look at it in an abit, hopefully they've got some in stock. :D

sn00pie    2

Just bought it, it's amazing even with analog cable, PS2 looks fine, can't wait for PS3!

Menge    33

i have the 40" version of that. it's beautiful (even if it is 720p). i plugged my laptop to it the other day to watch HD videos streaming over WiFi and it's simply beautiful :D

bangbang023    31

Just bought it, it's amazing even with analog cable, PS2 looks fine, can't wait for PS3!

Get th7e component video cables f5or your ps2.

note: excuse th7e numbers please. my k8eyboard is messed up and no stores are open to buy a new one

sn00pie    2

You think I should bother? I'm planning on buying the PS3 the minute I can get my hands on one, which may end up taking while thanks to the shortages. :/

bangbang, I have one question I forgot to ask, is there a point in buying a 7.1 home theater system?

I bought a 850w Sony 5.1 system before and noticed I had to put it on level 25 out of 3 to feel any sort of home theater experience(thats almost maximum), but I sold that and I'm looking at something higher/better quality, and I'm not really sure where to begin, whether or not I should buy a home theater in a box, or piece it together, but one thing for sure I need tower speakers, I dislike the small little speakers. Yamaha makes some killer packages but there around $900+ which is way to much for me.

bangbang023    31

Th7en I guess it's not important since you'll be getting th7e new system so soon.

I am Reid    45

I just thought you were supper leet.

gunnerhkjp    0

I just thought you were supper leet.

I was just going to say that :D

sn00pie    2

So is it worth going for a 7.1 over a 5.1 system?

I might pickup component cables for the PS2 this weekend, not sure though will it increase the quality drastically?

bangbang023    31

So is it worth going for a 7.1 over a 5.1 system?

I might pickup component cables for the PS2 this weekend, not sure though will it increase the quality drastically?

7.1 isn't worth it, IMO. Component cables will make a huge difference man. You're going to be surprised.

sn00pie    2

haha, awesome, I'll probably pick them up this weekend then. :D

thanks again for all your help!