• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Samsung LNS3251D LCD TV

sn00pie    2

Guys, I'm confused in Gran Turismo 4 when I change ito 470p, the screen goes blank and the TV says no signal found, same with 1080i, I don't get it? I'm using standard a/v cables, I'll be picking up the component ones soon. I don't get why either 470p or 1080i in GT4 won't show, I can go from 4:3 to 16:9, but thats it... :cry:

Is it the TV? or is it the a/v cables? :s

bangbang023    31

You can't use the composite cables for anything other than 480i.

cashman    7

Good choice on your purchase. I have been going into Currys weekly checking out the price of exactly the same set, and every week I come one step closer to getting it. It truly is the best looking TV on the market at the moment. I don't have any High Def inputs at the moment so I must hold back at least till March.

Are you finding the sound ok? I have heard that is the only drawback on the set, but what do you expect from something so thin I guess. Let us know what sound system you get to accompany it.

bangbang023    31

The sound is decent at best, but that's expected when a set uses concealed speakers like that.

Boiling Ice    0

Man I have the 26" version.... it's my PC, PS2, and satt. reciver TV.... and I really love it :) espcially for my PC -Half Life 2 looks woow in that :D -

Component cables will make a huge difference man. You're going to be surprised.

currently I have the normal cables for PS2, but the quality really REALLY sucks... so recommend getting the Component cables?!! is there anything specific or any Component cables for PS2 will do? is the difference in games or playing DVDs? or both?

Edited by Boiling Ice

sn00pie    2

But bangbang, why won't GT4 run in 1080i or 470p? Does the TV not support it? How in the world will I run the PS3 at HD resolutions if I can't even run GT4 lol. :s

Good choice on your purchase. I have been going into Currys weekly checking out the price of exactly the same set, and every week I come one step closer to getting it. It truly is the best looking TV on the market at the moment. I don't have any High Def inputs at the moment so I must hold back at least till March.

Are you finding the sound ok? I have heard that is the only drawback on the set, but what do you expect from something so thin I guess. Let us know what sound system you get to accompany it.

The sound is just fine for a TV, I'll be buying a home theatre soon enough though, but there's no problem with the builtin speakers.

bangbang023    31

Yeah, GT4 runs at the higher resolutions but not over composite, only component. Composite is never capable of anything other than 480i.

is the difference in games or playing DVDs? or both?

In any games that support progressive scan, you'll notice a difference. In GT4, you can actually get high definition.

sn00pie    2

Yeah, GT4 runs at the higher resolutions but not over composite, only component. Composite is never capable of anything other than 480i.

In any games that support progressive scan, you'll notice a difference. In GT4, you can actually get high definition.

Oooooooh, sorry I got them mixed up, I thought Component was Composite and Composite was component, so if I buy the component cables, I should be able to run 480p, 1080i? :D

bangbang023    31

Yep, you'll be fine with those resolutions then.

sn00pie    2

Awesome, thanks alot!

sn00pie    2

Bought the component cables for the PS2, and I'm simply amazed, GT4 doesn't look that good in 1080i, it's horrible in 470p, but everything else like FIFA 07 and playing DVD's looks amazingly clearer than before.

I'm amazed! :)

QuantumTrickery    2

Not to hijack this thread, but I had a couple questions about this particular tv. I was looking between this and the LN-S3241D and wanted some opinions, particularly from bangbang, as I'll be making my purchase from Best Buy, at cost. A rundown of the differences and feeling on this tv, and possibly other options in this 32" LCD range. This will be a christmas present for my nephew, mainly for playing his Xbox 360, wii and watching of movies.

bangbang023    31

Not to hijack this thread, but I had a couple questions about this particular tv. I was looking between this and the LN-S3241D and wanted some opinions, particularly from bangbang, as I'll be making my purchase from Best Buy, at cost. A rundown of the differences and feeling on this tv, and possibly other options in this 32" LCD range. This will be a christmas present for my nephew, mainly for playing his Xbox 360, wii and watching of movies.

This one and the 41 are very similar. You can look at the numbers all you want, but the difference that I've seen is that, at the "neutral" setting, the whites on the 41 have a warm tint to them where on the 51 they tend to be purer. That's honestly the biggest difference.

Now, the only other set that stands out to me in this size range, out of the ones I have seen, is the Sony KDL-V32XBR2. It's a beautiful set and, as is the case with Sony vs Samsung this year, will give you the appearance of a slightly lower contrast, but will compensate for that with better handling of fast motion images which is important when it comes to video gaming. The only real problem with the Sony is the singular HDMI input as opposed to the 2 inputs on the Samsung.

QuantumTrickery    2

I appreciate the information. I'll check out that Sony when I drop back by Best Buy this evening.

xtac    0

Don't mean to hijack either, but I was going to buy this tv off amazon, it's only 1k shipped - plus I have a gc for $150.00

I am just sick of my old ass sony tv.

main question is - what is the biggest con of this tv ? and is there a better tv for similar price

bangbang023    31

Biggest con is the single component video input.

xtac    0

but it has two hdmi's no?

So I could hook up a ps3/360/wii/dvd with no problems ?

bangbang023    31

ps3 - hdmi

360 - vga

wii- component

dvd - you'd either have to buy a component switcher or buy an upconvert dvd player with hdmi on it

Nevermind your cable box then which would also need a component or hdmi input.

xtac    0

yeah that sucks.

damn just when I thought I had the perfect tv.

bangbang023    31

You're seriously going to own all three consoles, though?

xtac    0

Not really, because I am going to buy the ps3 when metal gear solid comes out, than sell it after i beat it

the wii I'll probably only own for awhile, for zelda, mario,

the 360 is a def

the dvd player yes

i have dish network so yes

what do you think?

alot of people have been telling me go with olevia/westinghouse there unknown but good quality

bangbang023    31

Olevia and Westinghouse do not compare to the Samsungs. People are considering the price tag and not the actual picture.

It's a tough one. The Dish box will definitely be HDMI, so one HDMI is taken up there. The other HDMI will obviously be the ps3. Your issue comes down to component video inputs which very few sets have enough of, for your situation. What I might do if I were you is simply buy a component video switcher. I don't think it's worth passing up on such a deal because you would need a switcher. With most sets on the market, you'd need the switcher anyway.

xtac    0

yeah, so besides that con, theres no better tv for the similar price? - i don't really have a budget

bangbang023    31

yeah, so besides that con, theres no better tv for the similar price? - i don't really have a budget

For a similar price? The only other set in range that's surprised me is the JVC LT32X667. Very nice picture, though the whites tend to be a bit on the cool side. It does give you one extra component input, though.

Vice    1,593

I have the LE40R74BDX which I think is the 40" version of this set? The outside casing looks identical. Anyway I love mine Samsung make some very nice LCD's the analogue is "meh" but I expected so when I bought it. HD through this thing is amazing however. Mine is also 720P.