• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Win98 - No Sound?

S_Herbie    10

I am looking at a Win98 machine for a friend who says that no sounds are playing - but am having a little trouble finding the cause of the problem... Here are my steps so far:

There is an onboard sound card and Windows reports that it is installed and that the driver is OK, however I cannot get anything to come out of it (yes, I have plugged speakers in! :p ).

When trying to find the reason why I noticed that the volume control wasn't showing in the tray so I tried to run sndvol32.exe from the start menu and from explorer and nothing happened.

Tried removing this component and then reinstalling it from Win98 CDROM, no difference.

My next thoughts are that the device may be disabled in the BIOS, but wouldn't this mean that Windows doesn't detect the device? The BIOS is locked with a password and the owner does not know what it is.

Any ideas on what to do next?

+orgitnized    0

If you look in the Multimedia section in the Control Panel, does it show you have a Preferred Device listed in the Audio tab?

S_Herbie    10

If you look in the Multimedia section in the Control Panel, does it show you have a Preferred Device listed in the Audio tab?

No, that option is greyed out - it say's no playback device available.

AMDMEFX-55    0

Have not used 98 in like 5 years but is there an option for digital speakers? If so uncheck that.

The2    1

Disabled in BIOS can be a problem, It happened to me. Reset bios?

leesmithg    226

I bet it's been disabelled in the bios.

Y'all remove the battery from the motherboard, (machine of course disconnected from the mains) count to 10 elephants & return battery and plug machine in, turn it on hit delete to enter bios and check.

S_Herbie    10

I bet it's been disabelled in the bios.

Y'all remove the battery from the motherboard, (machine of course disconnected from the mains) count to 10 elephants & return battery and plug machine in, turn it on hit delete to enter bios and check.

Thanks - last time I had to reset a BIOS password it involved moving jumpers... I will give this a go!

S_Herbie    10

OK, so I have now reset the BIOS password and gone in to have a look at the settings.

Onboard sound was not disabled - it has 2 settings "Auto" or "Off", it was set to "Auto". The help text for this says that it will be disabled if a PCI soundcard is installed. There is not a PCI card...

The only device turned off in the BIOS was the Gameport so I turned it on.

Any more ideas?

Thanks...

+orgitnized    0

I know you said the driver was installed and ok, but if it was, your preferred devices should not be greyed out. And if you can see the device listed in device manager, the BIOS is not where I would have looked. If it's disabled in the BIOS, you aren't going to see it in DM. (Not in all the machines I've looked at, but hey, that's me.)

Honestly when I run into this problem it's always been because of a driver issue. I've loaded AC97 drivers on machines with Windows 98 in the past (as an example) and have found them to "find" the hardware and install the support, only to run into the exact same issue as you.

When I get a driver that's slightly different and made especially for the hardware present on the board, it works and the preferred devices are no longer greyed out and the sound works immediately afterwards.

That's all I'll offer, because being in that situation numerous time, the solution has always been the same. Hopefully it's the same for you too, and a different driver does the trick.

S_Herbie    10

Thanks, will look for an updated driver...

I have this machine set up in my garage at the moment so there is no network or internet connection there (yet!) so I will have to download it on my machine and then copy it over the old fashioned way!

CPressland    176

Wow... Windows 98.. not heard those words put in a sentance for a LONG time now.

Have you got all the Windows Update? or is that dead on this old 16 bit peice of junk? lol..

AdverseDeviant    3

Wow... Windows 98.. not heard those words put in a sentance for a LONG time now.

Have you got all the Windows Update? or is that dead on this old 16 bit peice of junk? lol..

we're all sorry for not being as rich as you.

if the specs arent really old, you could use nlite to make a lite xp and bypass minimum requirements. you wouldn't believe how fast an old p2 can run xp.

S_Herbie    10

I thought Win98 was a hybrid 16/32-bit OS...

if the specs arent really old, you could use nlite to make a lite xp and bypass minimum requirements. you wouldn't believe how fast an old p2 can run xp.

Actually, it's a P4 and would have no problems running WinXP, but as I said in my first post it's not mine to upgrade - I'm just trying to resolve an issue for a friend.

I have found the driver and downloaded it (the version number is slightly higher) so I will try and install that later!

Shuu    0

counting elephants? i assume that's an english thing. :D

S_Herbie    10

counting elephants? i assume that's an english thing. :D

Indian or African surely? :D

S_Herbie    10

OK, getting back on topic...

I have upgraded the drivers to a newer version (I have also tried an older version) and the devide is still not showing in the multimedia control panel.

I have had to give the PC back to it's owner as his kids want to use it over the Xmas period, but I still want to resolve this as it's really bugging me now!

Any more ideas? The machine is a "Fujitsu Siemens Scenic T" and the onboard sound is "Soundmax Integrated Digital Audio".

http://www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk/rl/servic...t/sceniclt1.htm

http://www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk/rl/servic...ds_scenic_t.pdf

Kalvos    0

I have upgraded the drivers to a newer version (I have also tried an older version) and the devide is still not showing in the multimedia control panel.

I'm having almost the same problem. I recently upgraded motherboards, and everything is working but the sound. Running Win98SE with Asus K8V-X SE motherboard.

=motherboard sound selected via BIOS

=motherboard sound device installed with all drivers

=USB sound device reinstalled with all latest drivers

=PCI sound devices reinstalled with all latest drivers

All the devices show up in the control panel (under audio devices) and there are no errors in the hardware manager.

I uninstalled/reinstalled the multimedia section of Windows setup.

I uninstalled/reinstalled DirectX 9

Everything shows in where it should in the system except that no program sees a sound device, and the multimedia control panel has the entire sound (preferred device) section grayed out.

It's not the drivers as there are four separate ones in three locations (motherboard, 2@PCI, USB). Something is up with Windows' software connection from its sound drivers to the device drivers. What have I forgotten?

Dennis

obsolete_power    0

we're all sorry for not being as rich as you.

You don't have to be rich to upgrade from Windows 98....Man, that OS isn't even supported by Microsoft anymore...It has been out for almost 10 years now, you'd think in 10 years he would have upgraded to a more up-to-date operating system. I mean, if you're really that strapped for cash, you could always run Linux. It is free and you can keep up to date! No excuse here...

Kalvos    0

You don't have to be rich to upgrade from Windows 98...

There is a reason to keep Win9.x and 3.x, as well as earlier hardware and operating systems. I'm not the original poster, and my reasons are musical works and sound installations that run on them, and can't be updated. I have computers as far back as 1977 to run various works of sound art. In this case, the computer hardware needed updating (the old board was failing) and WinXP will not run all the programs properly.

In any case, I'm still desperate to get that sound functioning!

Thanks,

Dennis

S_Herbie    10

Anyone have any more suggestions?

I think I am going to try installing a PCI soundcard and see if that works...

Kalvos    0

Anyone have any more suggestions?

I think I am going to try installing a PCI soundcard and see if that works...

Hi Cy,

I've been struggling with this for longer than my time budget allows, and have posted in three forums, all without success. I posted the info below on another forum, so FYI (and it won't likely help you):

My solution was old and dirty, and one I did not like at all. I pulled the system.dat and user.dat from a backup done just before the upgrade, but I did NOT delete any profiles in the hardware manager (including motherboard resources, despite this being a motherboard change) and simply booted the system normally (not Safe Mode). Except for the availability of new drivers waiting to be installed already on the hard drive, this was (from a registry point-of-view, so to speak) booting the 'old' computer. It must have left a huge clot of old junk in the registry, but after auto-detecting the new hardware, everything worked, including the sound.

I really hated doing that, but for now I can't argue with it working.

I really wish I knew the registry details, but differences between the old 'working' registry, the new 'failed' registry, and the present registry (all saved) are far too many to track down for now.

For now I'll work on untethering the locked programs while I check for the workability of old projects on my XP machine. If all these projects are usable over the next few months, then I can upgrade the operating system. (Though I will miss some of that XP-incompatible software...)

Dennis

+orgitnized    0

If you are sure that you have the right driver, boot into safe mode instead of normal mode. Look at device manager and expand the multimedia/sound section. Look for any ghost devices and delete them altogether. You can opt to blow away all your multimedia stuff from safe mode and then reboot into normal mode. This will give you another chance to install fresh drivers with no (possibly old) conflicting drivers that you just removed from safe mode.

Safe mode allows you to see old drivers and hardware so you can remove them. I remember working on eMachines that had problems with sound. They'd load up support for 10 different cards so no matter what you had from the factory, it would be detected. Didn't work well though...

So I'd yank everything that had duplicates from device manager and then boot back into normal mode to reinstall the good drivers. That also helped out in many occasions with issues like the one you are describing.

Fish    48

You say you've installed drivers for the sound chip, but I remember W98 being a funny old beast. My advice would be to not bother with any "updated" drivers, but to try and find all the original motherboard drivers. Best bet would be the CD that came with the board, but check the manf's website as well. I'd put money on it working when it was first purchased, so I'd try and set it up how it was originally.

If that doesn't work, it's possible that the sound chip has died. Perhaps you could try a Linux live CD to check?