Interest in PS3 fading?

This isn't meant to start a flame war, so lets keep it civil, but I was just curious what the PS3 situation is like in your area. Here in Victoria, Canada, interest seems to be fading. They had 3 on the shelves of my local Future Shop the other day. This was about at 8pm and they had put 6 of them out that morning. The EB Games across the street was getting a shipment of 5 yesterday and he said they hadn't seen much interest in them. In contrast they are getting constant calls about the Wii, and even people lining up every morning in case they get a shipment in. Seems since the Ebay prices have dropped, there isn't as much "interest" in the PS3 around these parts. Is it just a fluke in my area, or is it the same in other areas? I was shocked to see PS3's on the shelf at this time a year, especially with the limited supplies. This tells me that people aren't all that interested in the PS3 and the initial sell outs were just to hardcore Sony fans and Ebayers.

Nope not in LA....people I have seen asking for the PS3 all over the place. There are also long lines to try it. The only couple of times I got to touch one was when the PS3 was put to sleep due to the controller not wroking. :(

That's interesting. I would expect them to be selling out. I can't really tell you the situation here, but I live on a college campus of 40,000 students with only one place to get a PS3 from that's close at all (an EBGames) so they're probably sold out.

-Spenser

I have to say that must just be your area, because people in my neck of the woods will laugh at you here in NJ if you ask about trying to get a PS3. Literally, they will laugh. :laugh:

I also went all over LA and the citys surounding it. There is nothing...maybe there is a more people that live here than there.

I have to say that must just be your area, because people in my neck of the woods will laugh at you here in NJ if you ask about trying to get a PS3. Literally, they will laugh. :laugh:

I went with my friend to gamespot and he asked if they had any and they laughed at him and then the guy told the other worker there and they both laughed. :punch:

i'd tend to agree with you, although hesitant to concur on a large scale, as i'm sure it's a tad different in all areas.. but no one around here (within 60 miles between 3 major universities) have a huge interest in the ps3.. i know more people who are getting 360's than anything else.. smart if you ask me (IMHO, mind you) :)

I would expect it would be very hard to find in a larger city. Like I doubt you could find one in Vancouver even. But that's just because there are so many people. There are bound to not be enough to meet demand.

The fact that they seem to be pretty easy to find in smaller cities, while the Wii is impossible, even with larger and more shipments (can't even get spare Wii motes here) is pretty telling.

Oh, and don't judge me as a fanboy because of my sig. I LOVE my PS2 and was pretty excited about the PS3 until I found out the price.

It does seem like an interest is fading from an uninformed 360 Fan boy viewpoint... theres certainly been alot less Sony fanboys trying to pick fights with 360 users and no "Sony Pwns Microsoft" articles.

:\

I remembered when the 360 came out it was pretty crazy. I wanted to score one at my work but they wouldn't let any employees buy them. I finally got one in Jan. This year the hype is on the PS3 and Wii. I see more people interested in the Wii than the PS3. My girlfriend scored a 20gb PS3 and plans to sell it. She asked me if I wanted it and I said no without blinking an eye. Nothing I really want on that system and I'm addicted to Gears of War at the moment. I'm getting rid of my PSP since the last game I bought for it was ridge racer right before I went to Hong Kong last in the summer of 05. Sony IMO has lost some of it's appeal to me. I would love to see some of those PS3 exclusives cross over to other systems.

I kind of agree. Less people seem to care but most people also know they don't have a chance at getting one so whats the point in worrying about it. There is still more demand than there is consoles though but when there are so few made what else can a person expect. I think part of lack of interest is lack of games (possibly price) and we can only wait to see how it all works out.

Haven't witnessed it, but I've heard of rediculous price gouging on PS3s...somewhere in the neighborhood of $1300 at several local Aahs stores. I think the only reason people aren't buying those ones (or maybe they are, again..not verified) is because of this price rape. I personally think the PS3 will work through attrition, slowly reaching the public over several months until they're widely available. Totally the wrong way to go with console sales IMO, but hey...you do what you can. Supposedly (one of) the problem(s) was the complexity in manufacturing the blue laser diodes used in the Blu-Ray drives. :unsure:

I haven't seen long lines at the Best Buy down the street from my school, but here in LA I think the PS3 frenzy is still going strong. But EVERYONE is going on and on about the Wii; tons of my friends are spending hours waiting outside stores to try and get one. I keep saying their grades are gonna take it in the shorts and they should wait a little while, but gamers will be gamers.....and I can't blame them. Nothing like the thrill of getting something not so many people have :D

I think its just that people don't want to pay more for a ps3, when they can get just get great games for the x360 cheaper.

I have a Wii & 360, and will get a ps3 when more games are available, and the price drops a few hundred bucks.

Tell them to send some over here :D

Not a single PS3 here in Puerto Rico, well at least in my area. I went to different stores and they don't have them, all sold out. Same thing with the Wii. The thing is that you go to a Gamestop or EB and you see the Wii and PS3 boxes but they don't have them :s . I'm going to wait until next year, January or February to get my PS3 and Wii.

I was at Gamestop the other day, they had a line of people waiting for their truck to arrive carrying more Wiis. And just while talking to me the guy got 4 phone calls about the Wii, and one about the 360 HD-DVD drive and GoW.

He said nobody calls about the PS3.

The first batch of PS3's in my area sold our right away, but I don't even know that any stores in our area have gotten a 2nd shipment yet. Everywhere I go, all I hear is "I wish people would stop calling and asking if we have Wii's!"

So I'd say in my area anyway, interest is higher than ever for Wii but not so much the PS3.

We haven't really gotten many in since launch at my CC location, but I can definitely tell you that I've gotten a heck of a lot more "Do you have the Wii?" than "Do you have the PS3?"... It definitely seems like interest is more for the Wii than the PS3. Mind you, I don't work in the games department, I'm a PC technician, so the questions I get might not be a good representation of all the customers.

Sony really needs to get that next batch of games out to drum up some excitement. Resistance just didn't turn out to be the world beater they were hoping for, and it was by far the only release title worth bothering with.

Sony would have to pull something REALLY impressive by March for me to get a PS3.

Everyone seems to be going on and on about Wii, but the 3rd party sales figures from Japan so far are dismal. Are they the same in the US?

I'm getting my Wii (one sleep to go!) but I wonder if it's going to be another GameCube where the only decent stuff you could get for it was the 1st party titles.

My interest has also been faded since I tried the demos at circuit city and best buy. I just wanted to throw the damn controller away, the six axiz or whatever it's called was horrible If I buy this system I hope they put in a disable opting in all the games.

I underestimated Wii's appeal. I didn't put in a pre-order because I figured everyone would be cfazy over the PS3 and forget about the Wii. Walmart had a new shipment this morning at 8AM but I was too late and they all sold out almost immediately. My local Gamestop also tells me about the difference in Wii vs. PS3 calls.