XBOXMC Questions

Currently use my pc for playing media through my TV but I'm getting bored of that as it has to be on all the time. Then I remembered xboxmc, if i can get an xbox and stick that on there it does the same job right?

Can i share my music/videos from my NAS/other computers around the house?

Also, can i get a remote for it? at the moment i have the Windows MCE Remote but i'll guess that will not work with it.

-Scott

are you talking about xbmc here (need a modded xbox) or the MS media center extender software for the xbox (non modded).

For xbmc, yes you are access NAS and shares from PCs on the network. I do remember there was some scripting to get it working with either the offical MS DVD remote for the xbox, or the one that comes with the extender pack. I'm unsure if this is loaded by default in xbmc2.0 or is something you need to add in, but it can be done.

Edit: Have a read here ... Link It does appear you can use a number of remotes with xbmc, but you need the IR sensor (which comes with the dvd remote pack) to use them.

Default GUI for xbmc

Xbmc is a superb dash on the xbox, far superior to the xbox 360 dash in my opinion. However the only issue now is the xbox is unpowered for hi def video. I'll upgrade to the 360 if it is ever cracked such that homebrew runs on it.

Edited by jasondefaoite

You will find it does sm much more (unless you are already running MCE or MediaPortal).

Yes you can access network shares, but use a server such as Relax.

Remotes: I use the Xbox remote. It's not perfect but does the job 99%.

I'm gonna bump this thread as i have a couple more questions.

I'm thinking of getting a 360, would i still be able to do what i want to with the 360? I wouldn't be getting Live or anything like that, Whats the score?

But it has its own "media center" right? So it will play some, does the remote come with the console?

It has oen, but it's limited to Windows Media (and a FEW others)...

And no remote comes with the console (except a wireless controller)