"hooking Up" Ps2 Or Getting An Xbox

It xmas so nothing but some fresh games 2 come in the stocking..im wondering what to do..heres my situat.

I have a ps2 with 1 ps2 dual shock controller that has no dual shock in it because of damage inflicted upon after savage game of THPS3, and a PSX controller

I have also a ghetto 16 mb memory card which you need a f'n CD to run before u start any game in order to recognize the memory card

And I have no ps2 online adapter

Sooo..

Should I get new stuff for ps2 or should i just buy a new xbox with xbox live..hard decisions..

Sum peeps plz post ur comments about this, im sure some other people must have same kind of question

I'd recommend an Xbox with Live. There are a lot of good games out now, plus a lot of promising games coming out. Plus there's the unnoficial purpose of an xbox, media player and emulation box :yes:

Definitely recommended.

I'd recommend an Xbox with Live. There are a lot of good games out now, plus a lot of promising games coming out. Plus there's the unnoficial purpose of an xbox, media player and emulation box :yes:

Definitely recommended.

i'll second that.

thanks for all the replys..how does the emulation work on xbox? and which systems does it emulate?

You need toget the Xbox chipped. And when you do, make sure you get it with an on/off switch, because if you're caught on Xbox Live with a chipped box, you will be banned for life.

Systems emulated:

N64

Snes

Nes

Megadrive/genesis

Mastersystem

Playstation

Mame

etc...

"wow! it will soon emulate ps2 or gamecube as well"

Not likely, I'm pretty sure it is essentially just running a modified PC emulator to do those systems. The Xbox isn't powerful enough to emulate a console of the same generation, neither is the PC. I don't even think the Dreamcast can handle N64 emulation, and they are a generation apart.

All I'm gonna say is get stuff for your PS2 (or you can always buy a Gamecube w/ Metroid Prime).

That's all I'm gonna say b/c I don't want to turn this into a flame war b/c some guy gets upset cause I mentioned the Gamecube. :p

I'd go with new PS2 accessories. ?You already have the top game system. ?Buying a controller and a mem card is only 40 dollars. ?Stick with what you have.

The only reason the PS2 is the top game system right now is because it has obviously been out for a little while longer than the XBox and Gamecube. The PS2 isn't the top system for it's graphical capabilities..thats for sure. I played Metroid Prime on a GC in Babbages the other day and I must say that I was very impressed with it. The controls were pretty confusing at first but I caught on quickly. I couldn't see any flaws in it's graphics, color palettes, textures, etc. The gameplay was top notch.

My cousin owns an XBox with a few games. I still like one of the orginal games for it(Halo). It had impressive graphics, good gameplay, etc. A good friend of mine has a PS2....and yes it has a HUGE game library when you combine the PS2 and PS1 games..heck, the PS2 game library alone is huge. However I'm not impressed with the graphics of PS2 games. I notice that PS2 games have alot of jaggies(alasing), the color palettes are dull looking, the bump mapping and anisotropic filtering leaves alot to be desired and that damn controller cramps my hands after an hour of gameplay.

I don't know if this is correct...but doesn't the PS2 only have like 8MB or 16MB of video memory? If so, that would explain why the GFX on PS2 games are so dull and crappy looking compared to a PC, the XBox and even the Gamecube.

The only thing a PS2 can do better than an X-Box and GC is play DVD movies(since you can't watch DVD's on the other systems without an extra piece of hardware of course ;P). But why would somebody use a PS2 for a DVD player when real DVD players are so cheap nowadays? A real DVD player offers sooo many more features than the PS2 DVD playback software.

Edited by Zombie9920

I'd go with new PS2 accessories. ?You already have the top game system. ?Buying a controller and a mem card is only 40 dollars. ?Stick with what you have.

The only reason the PS2 is the top game system right now is because it has obviously been out for a little while longer than the XBox and Gamecube. The PS2 isn't the top system for it's graphical capabilities..thats for sure. I played Metroid Prime on a GC in Babbages the other day and I must say that I was very impressed with it. The controls were pretty confusing at first but I caught on quickly. I couldn't see any flaws in it's graphics, color palettes, textures, etc. The gameplay was top notch.

My cousin owns an XBox with a few games. I still like one of the orginal games for it(Halo). It had impressive graphics, good gameplay, etc. A good friend of mine has a PS2....and yes it has a HUGE game library when you combine the PS2 and PS1 games..heck, the PS2 game library alone is huge. However I'm not impressed with the graphics of PS2 games. I notice that PS2 games have alot of jaggies(alasing), the color palettes are dull looking, the bump mapping and anisotropic filtering leaves alot to be desired and that damn controller cramps my hands after an hour of gameplay.

I don't know if this is correct...but doesn't the PS2 only have like 8MB or 16MB of video memory? If so, that would explain why the GFX on PS2 games are so dull and crappy looking compared to a PC, the XBox and even the Gamecube.

The only thing a PS2 can do better than an X-Box and GC is play DVD movies(since you can't watch DVD's on the other systems without an extra piece of hardware of course ;P). But why would somebody use a PS2 for a DVD player when real DVD players are so cheap nowadays? A real DVD player offers sooo many more features than the PS2 DVD playback software.

Who cares what the graphics look like. XBOX can have the prettiest games, I could care less. PS2 is tops because it has a huge library of great games. While xbox has yet to impress with really any solid gameplay, outside of a select few games. But hey, it has pretty graphics. And apparently that's all you need.

The only thing a PS2 can do better than an X-Box and GC is play DVD movies(since you can't watch DVD's on the other systems of course ;P). But why would somebody use a PS2 for a DVD player when real DVD players are so cheap nowadays? A real DVD player offers sooo many more features than the PS2 DVD playback software.

You had some good points there. It's a shame that the PS2 has very little video memory, but that doesn't mean that the graphics on some of the games aren't beautiful (Final Fantasy X, Devil May Cry, Tekken 4, Gran Turismo 3: A-spec, etc.). It would be nice if the PS2 games did at least have Anti-Aliasing th:( :(

The only thing a PS2 can do better than an X-Box and GC is play DVD movies(since you can't watch DVD's on the other systems of course ;P). But why would somebody use a PS2 for a DVD player when real DVD players are so cheap nowadays? A real DVD player offers sooo many more features than the PS2 DVD playback software.

You had some good points there. It's a shame that the PS2 has very little video memory, but that doesn't mean that the graphics on some of the games aren't beautiful (Final Fantasy X, Devil May Cry, Tekken 4, Gran Turismo 3: A-spec, etc.). It would be nice if the PS2 games did at least have Anti-Aliasing th:( :(

Heh, I have to admit. I got hooked on Grand Turismo 3 and some ATV game for the PS2. The graphics weren't the greatest but they were pretty fun. ;P I've moved on to better racing titles like NFS HP2 now though. Does anybody know of a good ATV game for the PC? I would like to know so I can go buy i:D :D

Heh, I have to admit. I got hooked on Grand Turismo 3 and some ATV game for the PS2. The graphics weren't the greatest but they were pretty fun. ;P I've moved on to better racing titles like NFS HP2 now though. Does anybody know of a good ATV game for the PC? I would like to know so I can go buy it. :D

Don't know of any ATV games on the PC but ATV Offroad Fury 1 & 2 are pretty sweet on the PS2 I hear. Some of my buddies at Rainbow Studios (the developer) worked on it :D

Ok... here's my opinion... Xbox has better graphics, no doubt about that... the question is, has it also better games?

For me, absolutly NO... I bought a PS2 the first day it went out, because I had a Psx and I was fond with FF Series, Capcom Series, ecc...

Now I'm pretty happy with the titles for PS2, Final Fantasy X, Devil May Cry, Onimousha, Kindgdom Hearts, ICO (and the upcoming ICO2)... METAL GEAR SOLID Series....

and what about Xbox? The only title I would buy is Splinter Cell... but It will surely come out for PC, and I read rumors about a PS2 and a GC release next year.

Recently I bought a GameCube... Wooooaaahhhh that's awesome!!! It's been years since I played so great games... the nintendo games are superior.. in everything for me... gameplay, originality... of course the GC graphic can't be compared to the Xbox... but who cares when the only good thing is graphics?!? Try to play Mario, Resident Evil, ZELDA (that will come out soon...), StarFox.... ecc... ecc..

and it's cheaper to.

So, to finsih, here's my suggestion... find out what kind of games you'll like more... and go on with that consolle... i'm so happy with my two.. and i'm pretty sure I'll never buy an Xbox... most of all because of the types of his games!

I love it when people start the "need your advice on a console" cause it always turns into a flame war... just make up your own mind m8... everyone else's opinion is biased towards what they have/or experienced.... :yes:

I love it when people start the "need your advice on a console" cause it always turns into a flame war... just make up your own mind m8... everyone else's opinion is biased towards what they have/or experienced.... ?:yes::

Opinions are like @$$holes, everybody has one. ;P

As for my post, I'm not biased towards any console because I don't own a console and I probably won't own one unless there is a must have game for a particular console that will never come out for the PC or will never be able to be emulated by a PC. I think that once the GeForce FX hits the market we will start seeing some GC, PS2 and maybe even X-Box emulators.

The reason I said what I said about the PS2 is because from my experience with each console I can honestly say that I feel the PS2 graphics are crap compared to what I'm used to in the PC world and are crap compared to what I've seen on other consoles. The only thing I can see better about a PS2 over other consoles is the time it has been on the market(more games) plus the time that the PS1 was on the market(add all of those games to the games that can be played on the PS2). It was a smart move for Sony to make thier PS2 console backwards compatible with the PS1 games, accessories and even the controllers. I bet that Sony will make the PS3 backwards compatible with PS2 and PS1 games. Just give these other consoles the time that the PS2 has had on the market and I'm sure that the size of the game library of the other consoles will not be so laughable(especially since MS bought out RARE).

To the thread starter,

Just like dan said, try out each console(console rental is a viable option) and see which one is the most enjoyable for you. Your opinion is the only one that counts in this situation. ;P

Edited by Zombie9920

I love it when people start the "need your advice on a console" cause it always turns into a flame war... just make up your own mind m8... everyone else's opinion is biased towards what they have/or experienced.... :yes:

Not really, I own a gamecube, he asked for accessories for PS2 or a Xbox, I said Xbox. I didn't confuse the situation with a 3rd choice ;)

Anyway, depends where you live as well, here in the UK you can get an Xbox, Halo, Splinter Cell, JSRF, Sega GT 2002, Champ manager and a steering wheel for ?199, Stupidly cheap.

But, there have been lots of reports that the Sega game pack ends after Xmas leading to rumours that there will either be another game pack or a price drop.

Recently I bought a GameCube... Wooooaaahhhh that's awesome!!! It's been years since I played so great games... the nintendo games are superior.. in everything for me... gameplay, originality... of course the GC graphic can't be compared to the Xbox... but who cares when the only good thing is graphics?!? Try to play Mario, Resident Evil, ZELDA (that will come out soon...), StarFox.... ecc... ecc..

and it's cheaper to.

honestly, I don't think the Gamecube takes a backseat to the xbox or the ps2 in terms of graphics. I don't know why everyone seems to think it does. Its just as powerful and cranks out the same level of graphics that the other 2 systems do. I only think it gets this rep has having the "worst graphics" is because all the games made for it aren't shooting for ultra-realistic graphics. BUT thats not to say that there aren't any games with really excellent realistic graphics..because there are.

and it's cheaper to.

honestly, I don't think the Gamecube takes a backseat to the xbox or the ps2 in terms of graphics. I don't know why everyone seems to think it does. Its just as powerful and cranks out the same level of graphics that the other 2 systems do. I only think it gets this rep has having the "worst graphics" is because all the games made for it aren't shooting for ultra-realistic graphics. BUT thats not to say that there aren't any games with really excellent realistic graphics..because there are.

I felt that the GC graphics were su-par because most of the titles for it looked very childish. After trying Metroid Prime I can honestly say that I feel the GC is capable of graphics that are way above the PS2. The only thing the GC lacks is a good library of titles that will appeal to older gamers and younger gamers(like Metroid Prime). I don't feel that the GC or PS2 can rival the X-Box in terms of graphics because the X-Box has the huge graphical advantage called the GeForce(with alot of Video Ram and Anti-Alasing capabilites).

(EDIT)I have tried some of the Mario stuff for the GC......Mario falls into the category of the childish looking games that made me think the GC graphics were sub-par to the other consoles(What happened to the good ol' days of Super Mario World?) .

Edited by Zombie9920