There are many great features available to you once you register at Neowin, including:

• Richer content, access to many features that are disabled for guests like commenting on the front page
  • Access to a great community, with a massive database of experience on hard & software issues, gaming and recreational activities, and more
  • Access to the Neowin IRC - you could make a friend from across the world and talk to them live
  • Access to Neowin contests & subscription offers and forums that are not open to guests/li>
  • It's simple, and FREE! · Register here

Converting MP4a to MP3

Is there a way to convert the Audio (MP4a) from an MP4 video file to just an audio file, like MP3?

I tried recording it directly to Audacity while the video was playing in VLC, but it creates an incredibly annoying scratching/tapping sound, so that's out.

I had a program that rips the audio out, but I don't remember what its name was. Sorry.

I also think you need a certain sound card or something. I kept getting errors when I tried to do it on my laptop.

What I believe you are trying to do is separate the audio stream (demultiplex) from an mp4 container.

A google search brought up this piece of freeware - not used it personally but looks the part.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=793

This app will give you the original audio file from the video. This can then be transcoded to another audio format if desired but with a possible loss in sound quality.

I don't understand this program. What do all these terms mean? :s

--Edit--

Umm, yeah, I got the original audio, and it's in MP4 audio format, but I need to convert it to another audio format, preferably MP3 or WAV.

Edited by Razorblade

• 2 years later...