• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

New ATI Vista Driver

coolhand    0

will these drivers allow resolutions such as 1152*864....ide rather not have to install vista again to check.

I8PP    11
will these drivers allow resolutions such as 1152*864....ide rather not have to install vista again to check.
Nope. It blows being confined to 1024x768 @ 85Hz or 1280x1024 @60Hz. boo old crt :p

coolhand    0

oh well. thanks.

DKAngel    314

wtf is this code 43 crap? the ppl experiencing it have they maybe thought that it isnt the ati drivers?

Mordkanin    225

Interesting that they still don't have a half way decent (Well, ok, I'll give them half way decent....) set of drivers out so close to the Vista launch. I'd certainly be ****ed off if I was someone who went out and, like, early February, bought a new PC, only to find out that openGl doesn't work, etc. I mean, the OEMs need to get these drivers early to bundle them, do they not?

Orien    1

Hmm, I just got a driver update from Windows Update for my ATI Mobility X1600 today.

[edit] Nice, it seems to have fixed the jagged edges error. :)

Edited by Orien

Tom B    0

The lack of OpenGL is annoying :(

Matrix78    0

wtf is this code 43 crap? the ppl experiencing it have they maybe thought that it isnt the ati drivers?

it's not an ATI issue, i had it for the logest time and my MoBo finally got a new Vista driver for the AGP port and the code 43 went away, so 99% its more than likely a issue with your graphics port

-Hiroshi-    0

Crap, does anyone have the driver set that was issued BEFORE these were issued? This driver set causes my PC to freeze up completely on Vista, forcing a hard reset. .v.

Dazog    9

Crap, does anyone have the driver set that was issued BEFORE these were issued? This driver set causes my PC to freeze up completely on Vista, forcing a hard reset. .v.

Windows Update via Vista has 1 version before the ones on ati's site.

Uninstall ati's and go to windows update.

-Hiroshi-    0

Windows Update via Vista has 1 version before the ones on ati's site.

Uninstall ati's and go to windows update.

Alright, I reinstalled Vista + the newest drivers, if I have issues, I'll just do that.

-Dave-    13

News From The ATi Driver Team:

Windows Vista drivers are significantly different than XP drivers, and there's not that much that can be leveraged from XP (DX9 perhaps). Consequently, you either have to a have a whole new driver team, or you need to slow down XP work while you work on Vista, and even then, you aren't putting all resources on it. And while a lot of the core of the drivers was started over 2 years ago, the OS itself was clearly evolving up until recently. It's hard to develop for a moving target.

We have been the first with WHQL drivers and are working hard on producing great drivers for Vista. As well, from a compatibility standpoint, Vista itself is very different from XP, so there's going to be application compatibility and performance issues simply from the OS, regardless of the drivers.

In general, the drivers take time, and will take probably many more months to clearly be comparable or superior to XP Drivers.

As of today, on the base driver and DX9, I think we have robust and decent drivers. More fixes and performance improvements are forthcoming, of course. Certainly by Vista general availability, it will be better. OpenGL is scheduled for January from us (OpenGL translation is the current default). Again, it's a very different ballgame from XP and it will take time to get to the level of XP, given all the time people have spent tuning and debugging the XP applications and drivers.

Vista for us has been a *huge* effort and we are just at the beginning, in many ways.

Ambroos    801

Well than nVidia still is faster with drivers!

veegun    0

Thanks, Dave for the heads up. I've ran the "OpenGL Extensions Viewer x64" (GLview for short) by realtechvr on my ATI x800 256 MB VID RAM vista x64 system.

Here's what it reported under "Core features" with Catalyst 8-31-100-3-2-1_vista64_rtm driver:

1.1 100 % 7/7

1.2 12% 1/8

1.3 0% 0/9

1.4 0% 0/15

1.5 0% 0/3

2.0 0% 0/10

2.1 0% 0/3

Oblivion runs fine but I suspect it doesn't use OpenGL. Gish pukes when you try to start a level (you can view and change the options and other stuff but with reduced responsiveness).

Can anyone with an Nvidia card report what they get under vista x64? Thanks.

Lasker    0

News From The ATi Driver Team:

Windows Vista drivers are significantly different than XP drivers, and there's not that much that can be leveraged from XP (DX9 perhaps). Consequently, you either have to a have a whole new driver team, or you need to slow down XP work while you work on Vista, and even then, you aren't putting all resources on it. And while a lot of the core of the drivers was started over 2 years ago, the OS itself was clearly evolving up until recently. It's hard to develop for a moving target.

We have been the first with WHQL drivers and are working hard on producing great drivers for Vista. As well, from a compatibility standpoint, Vista itself is very different from XP, so there's going to be application compatibility and performance issues simply from the OS, regardless of the drivers.

In general, the drivers take time, and will take probably many more months to clearly be comparable or superior to XP Drivers.

As of today, on the base driver and DX9, I think we have robust and decent drivers. More fixes and performance improvements are forthcoming, of course. Certainly by Vista general availability, it will be better. OpenGL is scheduled for January from us (OpenGL translation is the current default). Again, it's a very different ballgame from XP and it will take time to get to the level of XP, given all the time people have spent tuning and debugging the XP applications and drivers.

Vista for us has been a *huge* effort and we are just at the beginning, in many ways.

crap, we have to wait until late january to have some opengl support :sleep:

-Dave-    13

yeah , but we all kinda expected this....

veegun    0

ATI vista users...leaving in droves to NVIDIA because of crappy OpenGL support. :D

A lot of developers use OpenGL for things like graphic rendering and scientific research. I wonder what's the current driver support for OpenGL for the high end workstation graphic card on vista? Imagine spending $300 on Vista then $6,000 or $7,000 on a high end graphic workstation to find out the video card vendor has mediocre support for OpenGL. :no:

MS should be alarmed. Everyone who wants to play a game that uses OpenGL heavily will cry bloody murder and blame it on MS Vista OS. When it should be directed toward ATI for still dorking around with the already stable Windows XP drivers. Move on, ATI! You guys should have the driver development down pat for the Windows XP platform by now. :angry:

I'm really tempted to switch over to NVIDIA. The only problem is their 8800 card is too large for my shuttle case. :angry:

-Dave-    13

if u just wait a couple of weeks then ull have ur openGL support.

remember, Vista aint even officially launched yet.

most companies wont release decent drivers till that happens

MDboyz    655

Yah, it's kind funny when people ask for support when the product hasn't released yet. I rather wait to have a stable driver than rush them to release a broken driver.

Mordkanin    225

ATI vista users...leaving in droves to NVIDIA because of crappy OpenGL support. :D

A lot of developers use OpenGL for things like graphic rendering and scientific research. I wonder what's the current driver support for OpenGL for the high end workstation graphic card on vista? Imagine spending $300 on Vista then $6,000 or $7,000 on a high end graphic workstation to find out the video card vendor has mediocre support for OpenGL. :no:

MS should be alarmed. Everyone who wants to play a game that uses OpenGL heavily will cry bloody murder and blame it on MS Vista OS. When it should be directed toward ATI for still dorking around with the already stable Windows XP drivers. Move on, ATI! You guys should have the driver development down pat for the Windows XP platform by now. :angry:

I'm really tempted to switch over to NVIDIA. The only problem is their 8800 card is too large for my shuttle case. :angry:

Get this. ATI doesn't even have drivers for their workstation laptop cards. My laptop from college has a FireGL VL5200 in it, and ATI hasn't published a driver in either of the two sets of drivers they've released since Vista went RTM. It just installs the X1600 driver.

DrCheese    103

Why are you all crying so much?

Admittedly it is shocking that they are leaving it until jan to release drivers but its not like they need to rush. Many companies are only just beginning to start to eval vista properly. The default out of the box ATi drivers work fine for eval purposes of the OS.

A lot of developers use OpenGL for things like graphic rendering and scientific research. I wonder what's the current driver support for OpenGL for the high end workstation graphic card on vista? Imagine spending $300 on Vista then $6,000 or $7,000 on a high end graphic workstation to find out the video card vendor has mediocre support for OpenGL

Anyone running production stuff like that would be unlikely to move to vista for a few years. It is HIGHLY unlikely that the software is supported on Vista as well and the first thing the vendor would do it tell them to go back to XP until a Vista version is out

Look at it this way, We got Vista early because MS wanted us to have more time to eval and use it, against what OEM's were saying about wanting to hold it back.

Would you have rather MS left the launch for everyone until Jan so that we had proper drivers?

Until Jan 29th I'll accept the excuses. After that I'll join everyone else crying. For now, people should get a grip and accept it

PGHammer    1,482

Well than nVidia still is faster with drivers!

Faster, maybe. However, has nVidia fixed the SLI/QuadSLI issues with their drivers? (This has been an ongoing issue.)

There has been no similar CrossFire issue with ATI's drivers.

veegun    0

But I want better OpenGL support now! :D Having to wait to the end of January is too long. :no: Especially when your competitor has released better OpenGL support. Of course, I don't have an nVidia card (well, I do but it's ancient -- Geforce 3 somewhere in storeage limbo), so I could be talking out of the other end. No one here who owns one wants to run the OpenGL Extensions Viewer so we can have some data to compare with ATI. :wacko:

Johnston    0

http://www.9down.com/story.php?sid=8023

ATi Catalyst 7.1 Beta

These new ones?

Edit:

http://www.ngohq.com/showthread.php?t=8930

A new Catalyst beta driver has been leaked by Asus. This driver is intended to use ONLY with Vista. This driver is available in both x32 and x64 versions and it includes WHQL certification. However, ATI is highly recommending staying away from all these ‘leaked beta’ releases; so use it at your own risk! And don’t blame us or ATI if anything goes wrong.

veegun    0

I saw this yesterday when neowin was down. I was so happy. Hoping and praying that ATI has given us all a late holiday gift. Then I read the guru3D post from here:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=2078568

however I am sad to notice that the openGL support still isn't in ;-(

What's the point of continuing developing the driver if the main thing that's lacking isn't even addressed? OpenGL people at ATI!

Also, you have to jump through so many hoops to make it work (also detailed in aforementioned forum thread), it's not worth it.

Mirror download site if any one care:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1544