Vista Validation Update

You should definitely download it. :yes:

Edit: LOL. I see that you removed your previous comment (above) about only running the pirated copy temporarily until you can buy it legally. Nice.

lol yup realized it would cause more problems then it was worth :p but yeah it was actually true :) I should be getting a free version through uni once its released.

I'm guessing future updates will require you to have that installed.

I like how they are just rolling this out to copies of Vista with invalid keys.

In the past, Microsoft would have rolled it out to everyone and let the software determine whether windows is genuine or not. By only offering it to invalid product keys, Genuine Users don't find themselves needlessly installing updates and it reduces the likelyhood of false positives.

I'm curious what would happen if this was installed on Genuine Vista. Might just try and find out (If I can figure out how to get it, doesn't seem available on MS website)

I'm wondering if this is an actual patch for Vista to detect if its genuine or if this is a file that just kills any vista its installed on.

it use checking the Vista version number and the key you are using,

if the key is RC1/RC2 and you are running a RTM version, then WU will give you this update, the update will restore the original files that you "cracked" for accept the key, and then give you 30 days for input a valid key, if you don't do it, after 30 days, vista will run in "limited" (i forgot the name they use) version: basically only 1 hour of web surfing, then you need to reboot.

So those people who are using the renewing trial workaround thingie won't get affected by this update, lol

Maybe MS will release a different validation for this

Well it's better than nothing I guess.. :)

lol this seems more like a punishment for genuine users to download once vista gets released...which ever work around method someone is using I dont venture too many of the pirates are sitting their going "oh a validation update, looks critical...better install it"

"it use checking the Vista version number and the key you are using,

if the key is RC1/RC2 and you are running a RTM version, then WU will give you this update, the update will restore the original files that you "cracked" for accept the key, and then give you 30 days for input a valid key, if you don't do it, after 30 days, vista will run in "limited" (i forgot the name they use) version: basically only 1 hour of web surfing, then you need to reboot."

Huh

I activated using the rc2 key and i got the for evaluation purposes deal at the bottom, it was going to expire in may, which was fine because i plan on buying my copy as soon as my school offers it :)

BUT

my computer updated overnight and installed this update: here is what i wake up to in the morning..

Windows Validation:

Your copy of windows is not valid, Windows vista will be running in limited mode with less features.

Aero disabled

+ more problems i prolly havent even found yet..

If wmp11 is disabled and its true that i can only surf the net for 1 hr then vista will be uninstalled and i will re install my windows xp sp2.

I activated using the rc2 key and i got the for evaluation purposes deal at the bottom, it was going to expire in may, which was fine because i plan on buying my copy as soon as my school offers it :)

BUT

my computer updated overnight and installed this update: here is what i wake up to in the morning..

Windows Validation:

Your copy of windows is not valid, Windows vista will be running in limited mode with less features.

If wmp11 is disabled and its true that i can only surf the net for 1 hr then vista will be uninstalled and i will re install my windows xp sp2.

Heh, this is so awesome, i mean not for you of course, but I just checked Vista Update and this doesn't come up for me....Living legit is going to be a lot of fun in Vista, when every week the piraters get forced updates and can't use their machine.

Poor "hackers" and their torrent sites. :devil:

lol this seems more like a punishment for genuine users to download once vista gets released...which ever work around method someone is using I dont venture too many of the pirates are sitting their going "oh a validation update, looks critical...better install it"

Genuine users don't have to download this, only the piraters.

Heh, this is so awesome, i mean not for you of course, but I just checked Vista Update and this doesn't come up for me....Living legit is going to be a lot of fun in Vista, when every week the piraters get forced updates and can't use their machine.

Poor "hackers" and their torrent sites. :devil:

Just for that comment i will workaround the friggen validation and post a screeny just to show you that you paid for somthing you could have for free, posts like that are what **** me off, "hackers" what type of bull**** is that, Im a college student and i want to test windows out before i actually have to buy it, now its not my fault that they dont have it out to buy now, ill get my copy of vista and im sure i will STILL have validation problems, says my Office 2007 isnt legit but thats really funny because i have the product key straight from ms, I have office 2007 and i paid for it.

When will microsoft fix their errors.

Just for that comment i will workaround the friggen validation and post a screeny just to show you that you paid for somthing you could have for free

Are you also going to go out and steal a TV just to prove that you don't have to pay for that too?

Your comment is stupid, you can try Vista for 30 days without entering a key at all, you don't need to pirate a damn thing. Plus, the world doesn't revolve around you, for every "college student that just wants to try before they buy", there's a thousand people who just don't want to pay for it. Microsoft here is only locking out the people that have deliberately pirated it (read the thread, legit users don't even get this update). If you can't accept that, don't use Vista.

I have also received this update, with knowing that my Vista will be de-activated. The problem is, that pro's will "again" find some hole in that security wall, and soon, there will be "another" crack for Vista..

I think the main problem lies in the prices of Microsoft's OS software. Why wouldn't I buy a legal copy, if it wouldn't cost me more than 50 dollars, but talking about 500 dollars for just an OS and then also paying for other software to use with it, just to be legal, is impossible. At least, that's what I can't afford..

Anyway, now I have 29 days to activate my Vista.

Offical release: after more than 29 days. Price: around 500$,

MSDN OS subscription: 499$/a year.

Illegal copy: 2$

My monthly income: around 1000$

How does it look like? :)

PS: "Why do everyone hate Microsoft?" (From the internet headlines today..)

Nice..

To be fair, a lot of people seem to be using the "Just an OS" argument for the price of the thing, but really an OS is the most complicated piece of software on any computer. It has to interface with ALL of the hardware, account for all of the security, handle all of the multi-tasking, processor scheduling, networking and loads more.

If you want another example, there's really only 2 main OS's out there (Windows and Unix) because building an entire OS that does as much as either is a hell of a task, which is why there aren't more.