• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Vista Validation Update

aydc    0

It's one thing to pirate software, it's another thing to pirate software and be proud of it.

IceDogg    3

Puzzles me that it's allowed to be bragged about on here. But whatever.

Astrum    10

Vista is going to be pirated, Microsoft have to accept the inevitable and concentrate on something more productive. .... They seem to be trying to stop the ?hard core? pirates that will crack this thing just for fun anyway! The more MS lock it up the more people are going to stand up to the plate to take a swing at it.

MS should concentrate on its ?customers? and not trying in an effort of futility to scrape revenue from the people that will not buy it even if they couldn?t ?pirate? it.

Very true. There are people who will never buy Vista, even if Microsoft makes it unbreakable. But the latter is impossible as soon as IDA Pro can be run (and other good stuff). And the best Vista workaround will be created just for fun. You watch.

Andrew Lyle    336

i didn't even know you can purchase vista yet. i was only using the RC2 key to test out vista. and last night it updated now it's saying my copy is not genuine! :angry: ahh im ****ed about this, and before christmas too.. good work microsoft... (Y)

Ryan Hoffman    9

What is this update called? All I see are Windows Defender Updates, and Malicious Software Removal Tool updates.

Do I not see this update this update because I'm running a legal copy?

Andrew Lyle    336
What is this update called? All I see are Windows Defender Updates, and Malicious Software Removal Tool updates.

either you have already done it, and your copy is legal, or it's not showing for you yet. check your update history

IceDogg    3

Correct.

Ryan Hoffman    9

Ah cool. Yeah, this copy is straight off of my MSDN account, I'm completely legit. That's why I didn't get the update.

OhMuffin    2

Ehh, I'm scared to turn on my Vista PC, I don't want Aero gone :(

Andrew Lyle    336
Ehh, I'm scared to turn on my Vista PC, I don't want Aero gone :(

unplug your cable, and disable vista updates.

LOL, i got screwed last night by it. i thought the RC2 key was for trial purposes.. i didn't think it should shut off so fast.. great experience so far (Y)(Y) 3 weeks of vista. it's great and all, but you can't even purchase a real vista key yet! why are they shutting people out?

S550    96

the way I see it is if you use the software daily or make money off of even using it for a moment then you should pay for it, if you used it for say 1-2months for testing and decide you dont like it. Then dont buy it.

HEKTIK    16

1. Run Windows Update

2. Click view available updates

3. Right click windows vista validation update and click hide update

3. Have a cup of tea

:ninja:

Meshuggah    0

LOL, i got screwed last night by it. i thought the RC2 key was for trial purposes.. i didn't think it should shut off so fast.. great experience so far (Y)(Y) 3 weeks of vista. it's great and all, but you can't even purchase a real vista key yet! why are they shutting people out?

why did you crack it in the first place? you didn't have to put in a RC2 key in the first place, hell you didn't even have to put a single key in the first place. If you wanted to test it, just don't use a key.

Come on now, I think you knew exactly what would happen, and if you are mad about this, you shouldn't have tried to "crack" Vista in the first place.

andacb    0

I wonder why "some" of the people get angry and attack the ones who are talking about cracking Vista or getting over the validation update? Are they just angry because they paid for their software or are these people really software angels, who want to defend software rights for making it possible that software engineers and writers can earn the money they deserve..

I think it is not fair to say "pay for your OS's" without thinking about the exact circumstances people are living in. It's not and never fair to say "Don't use Windows if you don't want to pay for it" in a world of software, where almost every kind of software are developed for Windows and sometimes for Windows "only"..

The thing is not the money that an OS deserves, because engineers work for it for years. The thing is the money that "real people" can afford for their computer's software at home. It may differ from one to other, some people can pay 1000 bucks, some just 10 for their OS's. But the thing is to find the most "loveable" way, where most of the people can afford the money needed for a Windows. It's the same case like the taxes. The higher you make it, the less people report their taxes and you get less money. The lower you make it, the more people report it truely and you get more money from the taxes..

In my country, for an average user and business, it is not possible to pay for 300-500 bucks for every OS they use or more critical, a home user will never be able to spend that much money with their own will..

Anyway, I was a "legal" XP user, now a Vista user without a legal key. I will again write here in 29 days, when my Vista's time is over and we will see what will happen with these pirate and legal thing anyway..

DomZ    26

Only the n00bs get caught out by this, either way the enterprise kms crack still works, and thats alot harder for MS to prevent (I believe). Maybe MS should dedicate these progammers to fixing them 0day word flaws that keep popping up.

"The war on piracy continues.."

macmax    14

People in some countries have much more important things on which they would spend money and make ends meet at the end of the day than spending on an OS.

MS should learn to sell their software at different rates in each country, maybe by checking the average per capita income of a country rather than the cheap conversion of US $ into local currency.

$500 is a little more than my monthly income back in India.

btw i havent downloaded vista nor i care installing it. I have XP given by my office and i am happy.

Morpheus Phreak    0
i didn't even know you can purchase vista yet. i was only using the RC2 key to test out vista. and last night it updated now it's saying my copy is not genuine! :angry: ahh im ****ed about this, and before christmas too.. good work microsoft... (Y)

I'm loving all the pirates among us coming out and bitching now.

Freaking hilarious as I sit here with my fully activated legit copy of Ultimate.

Ah how great it is to not be a pirate.

LOL, i got screwed last night by it. i thought the RC2 key was for trial purposes.. i didn't think it should shut off so fast.. great experience so far (Y) (Y) 3 weeks of vista. it's great and all, but you can't even purchase a real vista key yet! why are they shutting people out?

I'm sure that's totally what you thought.

I bet you were just thinking 'Hmm, I bet this file I downloaded off of Bittorrent is totally legal and nevermind the hacked files required to use the RC2 key.'

Come on now, no one is really that stupid.

People in some countries have much more important things on which they would spend money and make ends meet at the end of the day than spending on an OS.

MS should learn to sell their software at different rates in each country, maybe by checking the average per capita income of a country rather than the cheap conversion of US $ into local currency.

btw i havent downloaded vista nor i care installing it. I have XP given by my office and i am happy.

Maybe you've never heard of anything other than Vista Ultimate then eh?

Also where is everyone getting this $500 number?

Vista Ultimate is $399

Vista Business is $299

Vista Home Premium is $239

Vista Home Basic is $199

For alot of other countries they also have Vista Starter which if I recall correctly is only $99.

So please tell me once again how every Vista version is overly priced.

Also please tell me how you cannot figure out that currency conversions are based on how much the average individual in the country makes.

That's how the worth of your currency is decided. How much buying power you have versus other countries.

dorimcheon    0

Pirates are dumber than I thought

Microsoft should read this thread and hunt them down for fun :D

simsie    4

I agree with the idea of selling it in different rates in different countries, but if it was a lot cheaper in one country there would be a huge business of importing from abroad, well tehre most likely would be anyway.

heavensblade23    0

Freaking hilarious as I sit here with my fully activated legit copy of Ultimate.

What kind of hay does your high horse eat? :rolleyes:

DerAusgewanderte    0

What kind of hay does your high horse eat? :rolleyes:

I have to agree with you there. makes me want to pirate his copy. it's really pointless saying that pirates are stupid and non-pirates are intelligent. morpheus-phreak is the perfect proof that this is not the case. stupid me, now I gave him another reason to post back, oh no - too late - sent

devish    0

I'm sure you would do the same if you didn't have MSDN or Connect :whistle: and don't get me wrong... OSX ftw :D

1Frothy    0

+1

Five years for this ****. And then they bust ass to roll out a validation tool that will quickly be circumvented.

+1 then +1 again :)

I agree Vista is not as good as it could be, in fact its really not overwhelming at all. It's "ok" for me but now "wow, cool, gee whiz" sort of a release. ;)

I think it would be good if you posted your views on http://windowsvistablog.com/ and set Mr Allchin straight. Seems that he thinks that Vista is "The best Windows ever" and that's just so far from the truth it ain't funny.

Brian M.    778

I wonder why "some" of the people get angry and attack the ones who are talking about cracking Vista or getting over the validation update? Are they just angry because they paid for their software or are these people really software angels, who want to defend software rights for making it possible that software engineers and writers can earn the money they deserve..

I think it is not fair to say "pay for your OS's" without thinking about the exact circumstances people are living in. It's not and never fair to say "Don't use Windows if you don't want to pay for it" in a world of software, where almost every kind of software are developed for Windows and sometimes for Windows "only"..

The thing is not the money that an OS deserves, because engineers work for it for years. The thing is the money that "real people" can afford for their computer's software at home. It may differ from one to other, some people can pay 1000 bucks, some just 10 for their OS's. But the thing is to find the most "loveable" way, where most of the people can afford the money needed for a Windows. It's the same case like the taxes. The higher you make it, the less people report their taxes and you get less money. The lower you make it, the more people report it truely and you get more money from the taxes..

In my country, for an average user and business, it is not possible to pay for 300-500 bucks for every OS they use or more critical, a home user will never be able to spend that much money with their own will..

Anyway, I was a "legal" XP user, now a Vista user without a legal key. I will again write here in 29 days, when my Vista's time is over and we will see what will happen with these pirate and legal thing anyway..

Well all kudos for you for that post :p

I myself am a software developer and web designer, and i've had people use my templates and removing the link back to me (the free ones), and ive also seen some of the stuff ive written posted on places such as 9down.

The way i look on it is, that, i put hours of work into something just for someone to crack and effectively steal?

If you cannot afford the software, dont use it.

and for all of you who said they used an RC2 for testing, you know thats a blatent lie, because you dont need a key for the evaluation version...

bio    0

Exactly.

Besides, 400 USD is the suggested retail price, in practice the retail edition of Win XP Pro still costs well over 500$ in Eastern Europe. And what really ****es me off, the OEM version comes almost for free.

And one more thing - it's not all about work that the engineers have put into this product. MS have enjoyed their monopolistic position for decades, and for many professions that is still true - specialized software (often rubbish itself, but required) is available only for Windows.