• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Vista Validation Update

Julius Caro    55

you dont. Would you go into Best Buy and say "look, im taking this TV, but im not paying until i get paid next week"??

I was talking about the fact of vista being still UNRELEASED.

Joni_78    48

Well I am proud to say I have pirated Microsoft OS. Vista is the first OS i'm not going to buy. Most important reason why I decided to do this is that there is no real competition and I don't want to support monopoly. When I can go to the store and there is couple of equally good OS's from different manufacturers then I am willing to pay again.

devish    0

Well I am proud to say I have pirated Microsoft OS. Vista is the first OS i'm not going to buy. Most important reason why I decided to do this is that there is no real competition and I don't want to support monopoly. When I can go to the store and there is couple of equally good OS's from different manufacturers then I am willing to pay again.

:blink: competitions? that's gotta be the oddest reason i've heard for not buying an OS!

Joni_78    48

:blink: competitions? that's gotta be the oddest reason i've heard for not buying an OS!

Yes, Microsoft would severely drop OS prices if they wouldn't have monopoly. Also they would for once make primary to manufacture good OS instead of thinking about money and making passable updates to make people upgrade.

I would hate to go buying a new car and discover there is only overpriced Buicks available.

Last straw for me was it's price 552 ?. Ultimate is top of the line so is XP Professional. XP Pro is 416 ?, so they just added 25 % to the price. No thank you.

Dazzla    5

I've not used a key on my version yet, I've filled in the online form with MS for my free upgrade so I'll extend the activation period twice by 30 days each time and hope that MS send me my copy of Vista before the 60 days are up.

Long    3

Yes, Microsoft would severely drop OS prices if they wouldn't have monopoly. Also they would for once make primary to manufacture good OS instead of thinking about money and making passable updates to make people upgrade.

I would hate to go buying a new car and discover there is only overpriced Buicks available.

Last straw for me was it's price 552 €. Ultimate is top of the line so is XP Professional. XP Pro is 416 €, so they just added 25 % to the price. No thank you.

For competitions, there is Mac OS X which you can buy for cheaper, or even many distributions of Linux for free!

Please don't use the monopoly argument.

destined1ne    0

not until jan 30 :shiftyninja:

Brian M.    778

For competitions, there is Mac OS X which you can buy for cheaper, or even many distributions of Linux for free!

exactly

Joni_78    48

You can't buy OSX on PC. Also Linux can't really compete with Windows ATM.

Like I said:

Microsoft would severely drop OS prices if they wouldn't have monopoly. Also they would for once make primary to manufacture good OS instead of thinking about money and making passable updates to make people upgrade.

Last straw for me was it's price 552 ?. Ultimate is top of the line so is XP Professional. XP Pro is 416 ?, so they just added 25 % to the price. No thank you.

Brian M.    778

price 552 ?. Ultimate is top of the line so is XP Professional. XP Pro is 416 ?, so they just added 25 % to the price. No thank you.

Wrong... Vista home basic starts from $199, home premium for $249 - no home user would ever need anything else

You can't buy OSX on PC. Also Linux can't really compete with Windows ATM.

Like I said:

No, but again, nobody forced you to buy a pc over a mac. You made that decision.

Also, unless you're using special programs for work that require windows vista specially (in which case your employer should upgrade for you), there is nothing that you can do on windows vista that i cannot do in linux, unless you'reon about gaming, in which case you dont need vista ultimate.

markjensen    98
... Also Linux can't really compete with Windows ATM.
That's your opinion. And your whole "reasoning" for pirating software is flimsy and ridiculous.

+InsaneNutter    1,335

So your not buying vista because there is no real competition, yet you still think its a good enough improvment over your legal xp copy to use and pirate? :p if you didnt want to support a monopoly you would install linux or get a mac :whistle:

Joni_78    48

Wrong... Vista home basic starts from $199, home premium for $249 - no home user would ever need anything else

No, but again, nobody forced you to buy a pc over a mac. You made that decision.

Also, unless you're using special programs for work that require windows vista specially (in which case your employer should upgrade for you), there is nothing that you can do on windows vista that i cannot do in linux, unless you'reon about gaming, in which case you dont need vista ultimate.

I was talking about professional not home.

That's your opinion. And your whole "reasoning" for pirating software is flimsy and ridiculous.

It cannot run most of the games and software out there so it cannot compete with Windows yet. And you would be happy to buy that overpriced Buick?

devish    0

It cannot run most of the games and software out there so it cannot compete with Windows yet.

Then based on that, it cannot compete with Windows XP either... and nothing can compete with Windows and nothing will as long as Microsoft holds the monopoly

MrCobra    0

No excuse for piracy in the "eastern world" either.. That's why people always fight each other. Exactly because of the way of speech you're using..

shame! :shiftyninja:

(Y) (Y)

DeusProto    980

no home user would ever need anything else

WinSAT.. which tweaks DirectX10 APis exclusive to Ultimate edition to make games perform better. This is an Ultimate only feature last I checked...

Joni_78    48

I tried to put these as simply as I can with my English.

So these are the reasons why I'm proudly running pirated Vista.

1. There is no choise. Microsoft has 97 % of the OS markets, so I am forced to buy their product if I wan't to get latest software and games running. If there would be real competition instead of monopoly, it would severely affect how much consumers would have to pay for the product and also force them to make better software instead of making passable updates to make people upgrade.

2. 25 % increase in price. Top of the line OS (All features included) XP Professional is 416 ?, Vista Ultimate is 552 ?.

3. Microsoft has made several things to force people to update from XP to Vista.

I8PP    11

My thoughts...

1: So, not buying Vista fosters competition? Would competetors be allowed to use DirectX natively for your games? (which as a general observation, a majority of major games are made for DirectX)

2: You can't compare features in XP Pro with Vista Ultimate. Ultimate contains components that would appear in 3 different XP SKUs: Media Center, Tablet PC components, and XP Pro itself. If you want to compare, compare with Vista Business, since that's as close to XP Professional you will get (MSRP 299USD, just like XP Pro).

3: The only thing i see is DX10.

markjensen    98

Joni_78, you can write up all the reasons in the world for why you feel you must pirate. You can make numerous claims that you are "forced". They just aren't true. Your sense of perspective is too narrowly focused on what you want.

The only thing that I am "forced" to do, with respect to Microsoft is to buy one of their licenses, if I buy most new PCs. Certainly any of the common Dell or HP packages have this as a non-removable option. But no one forces me to use it.

Meshuggah    0

Joni_78

1. No other companies can make quality OS's that support things, so that isn't Microsoft's fault, it is other companies fault.

2. People can spend $599 on a Playstation 3, $399 for an iPod/Creative and ~$400 for the latest and greatest cell phones but can't spend money on an OS?

3. Mac's force people to buy entire SYSTEMS for the OS. If you want the latest and greatest of everything, you can't expect for them not to require higher settings for an OS that isn't over 5 years old.

Your reasons are not good enough. You simply won't buy the product because it has "Microsoft" in it. It's plain and simple. Do you complain when High definition shows force you to have a high definition TV to watch them? Do you complain that laptops don't come with floppy discs anymore because USB sticks are very cheap now? When updates happen, they require different hardware.

Besides Direct-X 10, what exactly are they "forcing" you to update? It's not like these new PC games aren't going to support Direct-X 9 either, they just will run and look a little better in Direct-X 10. Did you complain about this when you had to buy your first Direct-X 9 card to get better shader features? Updates are here for a reason, and if you can't keep up with it, it is not Microsoft's fault or ours.

dorimcheon    0

somebody report Joni_78 to the piracy dept at Microsoft so they can rape him :D

Joni_78    48

Joni_78, you can write up all the reasons in the world for why you feel you must pirate. You can make numerous claims that you are "forced". They just aren't true. Your sense of perspective is too narrowly focused on what you want.

The only thing that I am "forced" to do, with respect to Microsoft is to buy one of their licenses, if I buy most new PCs. Certainly any of the common Dell or HP packages have this as a non-removable option. But no one forces me to use it.

Well you might be true, my sense of perspective might be too narrowly focused on what I want.

It's just that I can't get past that car analogy. That I have only one car to choose from and the maker can decide the price because they don't need to worry about competitors taking their share of the markets.

What also ****** me of is that there are no standards in software industry, if I have once bought a game it should work on any OS I choose to use, currently some win 95 games cant run even in XP or Vista. I bought it, and it should work until I die.

It's like your CD's and DVD's would only work with Yamaha CD/DVD player, not in others.

Pharos    24

Microsoft is being stupid and not letting computer enthusiasts buy their legal copy of Vista. This is really an incentive to pirate because you can have it NOW only by illegal means (MSDN and beta-testers aside).

Marky P    0

It does work till you die.

Who forced you to upgrade past Windows 95?

When they put new features in the model of car you have at the moment, did they "force" you to buy that too? No. Microsoft put effort into new features, you want the new features, why don't you pay for them? It's how life works.

I hope they start random lawsuits on pirates and catch a few and sue them for all they're worth. They might even catch Joni_78 if we're lucky.

Joni_78    48

Joni_78

You simply won't buy the product because it has "Microsoft" in it.

That might also be true, they have done so many negative things recently so maybe i'm just protesting MS. Either way I still haven't heard anything to change my mind.

And to hypocrites like Marky P and dorimcheon. Don't tell me you haven't ever borrowed/downloaded something from your friends to try it on your computer or ripped/downloaded your own CD's to MP3 or into MP3 player :whistle:.

Edited by Joni_78