• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Vista Validation Update

Julius Caro    55

If there's a reason I would pirate vista it is because I have no way of getting the legal thing until it is properly released. I filled bug reports but I'm a CPP tester, not one of those from Connect... so I'm not getting any funny stuff :(

jbm007    0

MS has a little suprise for the pirates when Vista OS is official released. All those patches, hacks, work arounds are being sent to MS via the Vista WGA. Any mods done to the OS are immediately sent back to MS. It will take them about 6 months to freeze out all the hacks; but its coming. It will be a real interesting year next year. Real interesting..........

heavensblade23    0

I hope they start random lawsuits on pirates and catch a few and sue them for all they're worth. They might even catch Joni_78 if we're lucky.

Highly unlikely for various reasons, not least of which is the fact that he's apparently in another country.

You guys fantasizing about bad things happening to people who pirate Vista need to get a grip on reality. It just doesn't work that way. Unless he's in a scene group or a commercial piracy operation nothing is going to come of it.

MS has a little suprise for the pirates when Vista OS is official released. All those patches, hacks, work arounds are being sent to MS via the Vista WGA. Any mods done to the OS are immediately sent back to MS. It will take them about 6 months to freeze out all the hacks; but its coming. It will be a real interesting year next year. Real interesting..........

Considering how fast Microsoft backed down from having WGA phone home monthly in XP, and all the negative publicity that went along with it, I highly doubt they'd do this.

TheNay    1

Where's the "if you can't wait until you have a legal way of getting vista"?

You still obtained pirated material, and before its consumer release.

UncleSpellbinder    17

Just my 2 cents..........

I acquired Windows Vista via Customer Preview Program (CPP). So, for the moment, I'm happily running RC1 without any problems. Eagerly awaiting January 30th so I can LEGALLY purchase Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium.

Edited by Uncle Spellbinder

The Right Guy    2

why they cant do something like payment at each month??? and if we dont pay they have just to disable the key..... maybe that will reduce piracy :whistle:

UncleSpellbinder    17

Like a subscription? Na. Don't like that at all.

freak_power    0

Joni_78

1. No other companies can make quality OS's that support things, so that isn't Microsoft's fault, it is other companies fault.

2. People can spend $599 on a Playstation 3, $399 for an iPod/Creative and ~$400 for the latest and greatest cell phones but can't spend money on an OS?

3. Mac's force people to buy entire SYSTEMS for the OS. If you want the latest and greatest of everything, you can't expect for them not to require higher settings for an OS that isn't over 5 years old.

Your reasons are not good enough. You simply won't buy the product because it has "Microsoft" in it. It's plain and simple. Do you complain when High definition shows force you to have a high definition TV to watch them? Do you complain that laptops don't come with floppy discs anymore because USB sticks are very cheap now? When updates happen, they require different hardware.

Besides Direct-X 10, what exactly are they "forcing" you to update? It's not like these new PC games aren't going to support Direct-X 9 either, they just will run and look a little better in Direct-X 10. Did you complain about this when you had to buy your first Direct-X 9 card to get better shader features? Updates are here for a reason, and if you can't keep up with it, it is not Microsoft's fault or ours.

I think the reason why people wont spend $299 - $500 on OS is a validation thing which scares them most. Many people will reinstall Windows so many times, and they don't want to explain to Microsoft why? They want to activate their legal copy as many times as they want. Putting a limitation on it makes people to feel like buying Windows for let's say $300 is a bad deal. There are a lot of people changing their hardware components every two months...hardcore gamers etc and those ones are the one who pirates OS. The don't care about Windows Updates, or any Software. All they care is the latest technology supported by the latest OS. Now, majority number of people get their Windows after they buy OEM computer like HP, and DELL. Overall, Microsoft doesn't lose the money a lot. They make a lot of it by selling Windows to OEM, and Retail. People will rather spend the money on something visible and useful like PS3, video card etc...then on OS which not touchable, unvisible. It's human nature of perception and valuing the things...can't change anything there. The bottom line without pirates software, OS would be less secured...so there is trade off. Microsoft has been great in the past if you work for IT or you're a student. You could get your free copy. If not i would buy OS...for now i have no need for Vista. Vista will seriously take off in q4 of 2007.

Deactivated Account    0

I think the reason why people wont spend $299 - $500 on OS is a validation thing which scares them most. Many people will reinstall Windows so many times, and they don't want to explain to Microsoft why? They want to activate their legal copy as many times as they want.

This is so true.. I format every 2 Months and I dont want to explain to Microsoft as to why I do it.

It's My Computer NOT Microsofts I can do what ever the hell I want to and If I want to I will format everyday then I will do that...

auto-logic    1

My "friend's" Vista crapped out because of this, now fortunately my "friend" is running OS X on his ThinkPad. What a breath of fresh air! There was no consistency in Vista's UI. And the componentization of OS X is wonderful. All programs and extensions follow the same strict guidelines. It's amazing.

Mr. Gibs    3,865

I think the reason why people wont spend $299 - $500 on OS is a validation thing which scares them most. Many people will reinstall Windows so many times, and they don't want to explain to Microsoft why? They want to activate their legal copy as many times as they want. Putting a limitation on it makes people to feel like buying Windows for let's say $300 is a bad deal. There are a lot of people changing their hardware components every two months...hardcore gamers etc and those ones are the one who pirates OS. The don't care about Windows Updates, or any Software. All they care is the latest technology supported by the latest OS. Now, majority number of people get their Windows after they buy OEM computer like HP, and DELL. Overall, Microsoft doesn't lose the money a lot. They make a lot of it by selling Windows to OEM, and Retail. People will rather spend the money on something visible and useful like PS3, video card etc...then on OS which not touchable, unvisible. It's human nature of perception and valuing the things...can't change anything there. The bottom line without pirates software, OS would be less secured...so there is trade off. Microsoft has been great in the past if you work for IT or you're a student. You could get your free copy. If not i would buy OS...for now i have no need for Vista. Vista will seriously take off in q4 of 2007.

This is so true.. I format every 2 Months and I dont want to explain to Microsoft as to why I do it.

It's My Computer NOT Microsofts I can do what ever the hell I want to and If I want to I will format everyday then I will do that...

You are both wrong, you can install it AS MANY TIMES AS YOU WANT! However if you change both the CPU and the HD then windows will use up one of the 10 licences to activate your windows. If you don't YOU DO NOT USE ANY OF THE LICENSES! Go read or try it out yourself if you don't believe me.

Ji@nBing    53

Morons. You left Automatic updates on? Wow. That's the first thing you turn off when you pirate an OS!!

theyarecomingforyou    10,425
My "friend's" Vista crapped out because of this, now fortunately my "friend" is running OS X on his ThinkPad. What a breath of fresh air! There was no consistency in Vista's UI.

Consistency is/was also one of the biggest criticisms of OS X, so that's a pretty poor thing to attack Vista for. NEway, I have no sympathy for people that are pirating/cracking Vista and do not care whether they also have OS X or not.

Meshuggah    0

I think the reason why people wont spend $299 - $500 on OS is a validation thing which scares them most. Many people will reinstall Windows so many times, and they don't want to explain to Microsoft why? They want to activate their legal copy as many times as they want. Putting a limitation on it makes people to feel like buying Windows for let's say $300 is a bad deal. There are a lot of people changing their hardware components every two months...hardcore gamers etc and those ones are the one who pirates OS. The don't care about Windows Updates, or any Software. All they care is the latest technology supported by the latest OS. People will rather spend the money on something visible and useful like PS3, video card etc...then on OS which not touchable, unvisible. The bottom line without pirates software, OS would be less secured...so there is trade off.

I bought a retail version of XP Pro over 4 years ago and have changed components almost every 3 months, constantly adding things, like video cards, hard drives, cpu's and even motherboards. Everytime I tried to validate my copy over the internet it worked perfectly. There were two times when it failed to validate, and I called up MS via the number on the validation thing (at 1 am in the morning) and talked to someone out in another country. I explained to them that I had updated some component and they asked me if it was running on any other computers. I told them no, I just have it on one, but I'm constantly installing and updating and they had no problem reactivating my key. I did have to do this twice in the 4 years I've had the license but that is about as far as it has been. In total, I would say it took 20 minutes for 4 years of successful activations.

Why don't you want to tell them how many times you've installed? It doesn't matter to them, they are happy you are a customer in the first place. I think the real problem is, you pirate the both XP and Vista and like to make assumptions about products you don't really know about, because you have never bought a retail copy of the product. Microsoft isn't the government, so why are you so scared of telling them you just formatted? It really makes no sense to me.

You also say that the people who pirate OS are the ones who play video games. Come on, you mean the people who pirate video games are the ones who pirate the OS as well. If they really cared about the "latest and greatest" they would spend money on it. Why can video gamers buy $400-500 video cards every 3 months but can't spend $400 on a license that will last them the entire lifespan of the OS (which is about 5 years)? You keep trying to justify your reasoning for pirating things, but in the end, it is completely flawed logic. The real reason people pirate so much is because of ease of use. I think the piraters are also the same people who complain about the Font dialog in Vista not being updated and other small things that don't really effect the real reasons of why you would want to update. They are also the same people who complain because drivers haven't come out yet for an OS that isn't even out.

Edited by Meshuggah

Lemonzest    0

"Why can video gamers buy $400-500 video cards every 3 months but can't spend $400 on a license that will last them the entire lifespan of the OS"

A grafix card and hardware itself is a tangible object and as such has used a finite resource and energy that cant be replaced to create it, and thus having value and can be resold, the license is IP and the CD/DVD's can be stamped for very ammount of pennys/cents and thus not worth anything to the person buying it only the company you are renting it from, you dont own it, it has limited to none resale value and is WAY over priced for what you get besides MS make most of there money from OEM/Business licenses couldn't they have a much lower retail price as they make very little on retail sales anyway.

andacb    0

why they cant do something like payment at each month??? and if we dont pay they have just to disable the key..... maybe that will reduce piracy :whistle:

Defitintely and strongly agree with that idea! :yes:

Jebadiah    42

Defitintely and strongly agree with that idea! :yes:

I believe such plans were in the news a few months ago. Still, those would be for genuine windows only. Not for pirated ones, of course.

freak_power    0

I bought a retail version of XP Pro over 4 years ago and have changed components almost every 3 months, constantly adding things, like video cards, hard drives, cpu's and even motherboards. Everytime I tried to validate my copy over the internet it worked perfectly. There were two times when it failed to validate, and I called up MS via the number on the validation thing (at 1 am in the morning) and talked to someone out in another country. I explained to them that I had updated some component and they asked me if it was running on any other computers. I told them no, I just have it on one, but I'm constantly installing and updating and they had no problem reactivating my key. I did have to do this twice in the 4 years I've had the license but that is about as far as it has been. In total, I would say it took 20 minutes for 4 years of successful activations.

Why don't you want to tell them how many times you've installed? It doesn't matter to them, they are happy you are a customer in the first place. I think the real problem is, you pirate the both XP and Vista and like to make assumptions about products you don't really know about, because you have never bought a retail copy of the product. Microsoft isn't the government, so why are you so scared of telling them you just formatted? It really makes no sense to me.

You also say that the people who pirate OS are the ones who play video games. Come on, you mean the people who pirate video games are the ones who pirate the OS as well. If they really cared about the "latest and greatest" they would spend money on it. Why can video gamers buy $400-500 video cards every 3 months but can't spend $400 on a license that will last them the entire lifespan of the OS (which is about 5 years)? You keep trying to justify your reasoning for pirating things, but in the end, it is completely flawed logic. The real reason people pirate so much is because of ease of use. I think the piraters are also the same people who complain about the Font dialog in Vista not being updated and other small things that don't really effect the real reasons of why you would want to update. They are also the same people who complain because drivers haven't come out yet for an OS that isn't even out.

Why would I be scared?..Don't put me into word them. I was talking about other people...not myself!!!!!!!. People who pirate video games...also pirate OS and any software. Why would they spend $500 on video card but not on OS, don't ask me...heck like i know. Maybe, people have hard time seeing something as wrong if what they pirate/steel is not visible, or touchable. It's just part of human nature, especially if it's taken from fictional world like Internet itself is. I think the explanation lies in there.

"You keep trying to justify your reasoning for pirating things"

Dude, I'm not pirating anything!!!

Edited by freak_power

Malisk    142

Only the n00bs get caught out by this, either way the enterprise kms crack still works, and thats alot harder for MS to prevent (I believe).

I'd guess that MS will stop these exploits by blacklisting keys on Windows Genuine Advantage to force them into reduced functionality in the future. For example, the current KMS "exploit" works by using either one of two well-known CD keys. I think it's only a matter of time before these two are blocked. New keys may be released into the wild, and these could then be blocked, etc. It'll probably end up as a cat & mouse game, but MS really just aim to make piracy enough of a hassle for people not to bother as much with it.

dauma    4

Windows Vista Validation Update (KB929391)

Nice to see this :) MS is already updating Vista ;)

seafirex    9

Nice to see this :) MS is already updating Vista ;)

well i dont have that update but got a few in the last few weeks, but mione is legal not yours as it seems or else you would not have had that patch here is a description of it :

-----------------------

Microsoft has released an update for the Windows Vista validation components

-----------------------

Link for proof : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929391

have a nice day :)

edit : i think it is the new update sent out to does that are not suppose to have vista, hope does that as pirated copies remembered to shut off auto update :)

Nathanael    0

You are both wrong, you can install it AS MANY TIMES AS YOU WANT! However if you change both the CPU and the HD then windows will use up one of the 10 licences to activate your windows. If you don't YOU DO NOT USE ANY OF THE LICENSES! Go read or try it out yourself if you don't believe me.

One box - one licence. $400 -> 1 Vista Ultimate licence. ;)

dorimcheon    0

And to hypocrites like Marky P and dorimcheon. Don't tell me you haven't ever borrowed/downloaded something from your friends to try it on your computer or ripped/downloaded your own CD's to MP3 or into MP3 player :whistle:.

I never did. Owned? :rolleyes: :no:

Pingachevsky    0
Morons. You left Automatic updates on? Wow. That's the first thing you turn off when you pirate an OS!!

Unless of course you are using a bogus copy of XP Corporate, in which case it lets you install updates whether it's valid or not when Windows update or even Microsoft's website won't let you. :pinch:

I hope that I can expect glaring holes like that to be fixed in Vista?

Kushan    27
Unless of course you are using a bogus copy of XP Corporate, in which case it lets you install updates whether it's valid or not when Windows update or even Microsoft's website won't let you. :pinch:

I hope that I can expect glaring holes like that to be fixed in Vista?

It's not a hole, it's deliberate. It will automatically update windows genuine advantage notifications too. But even if it didn't, the reasoning is that most zombies out there (PC's that get taken over by viruses and used in spam attacks and such) are caused by unpatched problems. So by allowing critical updates only, the pirate PC's wont add to the misery of legit users.