Using a 27" HDTV as a PC monitor?

hey guys, ive ben on the market for a good LCD for my PC (and eventually Xbox 360) and up until now i had been eyeing the Dell 24" WS LCD. it has hdmi, DVI, composite... all that stuff as well as being able to display native 1080 res which is not just great for movies, but exactly what i want for the 360 i plan to get. So i was pretty dead set on a Dell LCD until i came across this in my local Future Shop flyer...

27" Envision Flat-Panel LCD HDTV, which has 1366x768 HD resolution and HDMI and PC inputs. What caught my eye was PC Inputs. Im gunna assume that that means DVI, i had always thought that hooking up a PC to a TV would make it look like ass and all the text on screen would become unreadable... is this true? I would be uing this on a desk, is it overkill? I would be using my PC, but would mainly like to game using the 360, PS2 and sometimes PC (WoW), so to me, i kinda feel like i want the size of a TV but the reslution quality of a monitor (LCD), so im very confused! any suggestions and experience with this would be greatly appreciated.

oh i forgot to mention

Dell 24" LCD = $799 CND

Envision 27" = $579 CND

also forgot to ask, does anyone know if the dell 20" LCDs both WS and non can display 1080 res?

I've connected a comp to a 32'' sony bravia hd ready tv. Aside from the fact that it would only accept 1280x768 as highest resolution (instead of tv's native 1366x768), everything looks perfect. Of course at such a distance you're supposed to use the magnifier or increase font size or something. Perfect for watching movies or running windows media center on it :D

Err... never use a TV as a PC monitor. Your eyes will thank you for it.

you are thinking of a computer connected to a tubed tv, and yes, that will burn the eyes. TV on an LCD looks just like a computer monitor.

the 27 inch tv you are looking at you'll probably only get 1280 by 768

on a side note, I'm posting this from my 42 inch LCD tv

Ummm no

An LCD Monitor is the same thing as an LCD tv just without the tv tuner.

Thing is, most LCD TVs are usually 1280x720 or somewhere near that resolution. Such a large monitor at that resolution would kill your eyes on a desk. (especially a 27")

I recently switched from a 19" CRT to a 32" LCD (1360x768 DVI->HDMI). Games / Movies and the Windows desktop haven't ever looked so good :)

Edited by ManMountain