Audi A4 Radio Code

My dad recently bought 2nd hand, an Audi A4 1.8SE. amazing car, however the radio is locked out. The previous owner said he didnt know the code, so obviously 3 strikes and it locks out. All it says now is "Safe" when you turn the radio on.

After some hunting I found out that the radio code is sometimes stored where the spare tire is kept :wacko:

so after looking I found two 4 digit numbers. However the problem is we cant try these as the radio is locked out.

After going to an Audi dealer he said it would cost us around ?70 to fix, which my dad refused to pay for what we think is a 5 minute job. So is there anyway around this issue?

Would removing the battery for a while allow us to enter the code in?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!:))

Yea, the car has been outside the previous owners house for a week untouched before we bought it. Still no luck. I thought about disconnecting the battery for a while but I doubt that would work.

The only problem is the radio is wider than standard ones. Otherwise we would.

my sister had the same problem in her honda.

and it doesn't really matter that it's wider.

you go to best buy and they have everything you need to fill the empty space.

I've noticed that most standard radios are much wider than the after market ones.

I think you need to leave the ignition in the 'On', but not 'Start' position for an hour.

Ill give that a go. Cheers

An Audi dealership's service department will be able to help you out.

We tried, but they all seem to want money before they say a word. Soon as we mentioned the radio problem the guy got out his calculator.

You could try this. I would have thought the radio has a button battery inside (like a BIOS) which keeps the internal clock going and probably runs some memory with that code in.

Take the radio out and open it. Remove the battery and wait a min. Then re assemble and see if it works

P.S this could completly f*** it up so be careful

got a friend who is an audi nut and said to try these things before you go to a dealer.

Only said it MIGHT work but worth a shot.

unlock" it by letting the car run with radio in SAFE mode for 1 hour

disconnect the battery for 15 minutes

or OR find someone with ###### COM in his area might be able to reset the radio

http://www.steve-hall.com/cgi-bin/######-Locator.pl

I think getting a new radio would be the best bet. You can try what Tuffgong suggested and if it doesn't work, just get a new one. That's ridiculous they will charge for the radio code.

My sister as a VW Beetle and those things have MONSTER radio decks in them. She still was able to go to CircuitCity and get a new Sony deck put in. Get a removable faceplate and there's your 'security' right there :)

I found some details about it. LEaving it in safe mode will allow another code entry. I tried the 2 I found near the tire last night and they didnt work. So the code must be in the car somewhere. Either under the bonnet or in the boot. So I will keep trying my best. Thanks for all help so far and I will try again soon with another code.

I found some details about it. LEaving it in safe mode will allow another code entry. I tried the 2 I found near the tire last night and they didnt work. So the code must be in the car somewhere. Either under the bonnet or in the boot. So I will keep trying my best. Thanks for all help so far and I will try again soon with another code.

Here's a tip, try looking inside the glove compartment (left side). ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a second hand Audi A4 2.8 Q

the stereo is in safe mode and

the dealer is asking $80 and I am a student

does anyone have the code??

stereo brand is delta

serial number is: AUZ1Z6V8764968

thanks in advance

That's an easy one, You need somewhere with a deep freezer it must be more than -18c. Someone who works at a supermarket or somewhere like that might be able to help you out here :whistle: :shifty: . Just pop the front of the radio in there (If its one of those removable ones) over night. Take it out the next morning. Job should be a good one.

• 2 years later...
I just bought a second hand Audi A4 2.8 Q

the stereo is in safe mode and

the dealer is asking $80 and I am a student

does anyone have the code??

stereo brand is delta

serial number is: AUZ1Z6V8764968

thanks in advance

i have a 1998 audi a4 and it goes into safe every time i turn the car off . all i do is hold the dx & fm1/2 buttons at the same time until 1000 displays . once that happens release both buttons and press the 3 button three times until 1030 is displayed . now hold the dx & fm1/2 button at the same time again until safe is diplayed . release both buttons and radio will come on . there is no secret 4 digit code.